Advice on a gift

This is a discussion on Advice on a gift within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, guys, I wasn't sure where to put this at first since it covers both knives and guns in a way, but since it's on ...

Thread: Advice on a gift

Advice on a gift

Alright, guys, I wasn't sure where to put this at first since it covers both knives and guns in a way, but since it's on mostly knives and the like, I put it here.

A friend of mine is going into the USAF and she'll be leaving relatively soon. As kind of a good luck thing, I was thinking about buying her a good pocketknife before she left. First off, is it okay to do that? I mean, will the military be okay with her having a knife when she comes in? In your guys' opinion, what would be a good knife to get for her?

Now my kind of gun question: I know the mags the military uses for their M9s are pretty bad, so I was thinking about grabbing her some Beretta mags. Since she's in the Air Force, though, would she really be seeing much action with her m9? And once again, is it allowed?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If she is active military then this would be a real nice gift.
    A nice little automatic opener.
    Click Here

VIP Member
    Nope. No knives when she reports. Save the knife gift until she is out of basic and advanced training. Once she has her permenant duty station then something like that will be allowed.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

+1 on what Scott said. She'll say bye bye to it in basic or AIT. Then if she's living in a dorm there will be some size restrictions but she'll be told what they are. Had one of my security nco's bust a Lt. on my site for carrying an unauthorized boot knife in uniform on a (classified) facility. He was lead off in handcuffs and got the reaming of his life for it.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    We recently gave this to 2 NCOs that transfered

Leatherman an Gerber multi-tools are very popular in the military. I don't recommend she take it to her initial training.
    Facility regulations may vary. Where I was last assigned, firearems had to be registered and they, along with blades over 3", could not be stored in the barracks. In family housing it was allowable but the single men had to keep theirs in the company vault. Some installations don't alow firearms at all.

Most outfits frown upon using other than official issue items with duty weapons. I've even had trouble trying to use equipment that was issued.
    Outside of the poilce corps the pistol is not commonly issued. It is far more likely she will carry just the M-16.
    I honestly don't believe there's anything wrong with the issued magazines. The problem I think stems from improper maintenance. If you leave your magazine fully loaded for 12 months, it might not feed correctly. Magazine cleaning and spring replacement are also widely neglected. So, if she has a 9mm, it might be nice if she has her own magazines, but they can be the standard issue (that will get her in less trouble too).
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

It really depends on what field she goes into after basic. Very few Air Force personel ever see a weapon after basic except for yearly qualification on the range unless they are sent to an active war zone. I would recomend that you wait till she gets out of basic, then ask her what she would like.

Wait until she graduates from Basic and advanced training...

Do NOT buy her M9 mags--she won't have any use for them...unless you by her a matching Beretta. She won't be able to use any of these for "official" training--and if she's enlisted, most only qualify on the M-16A3/M-4.

+1 to Raevan

My recommendation: pocket knife or leatherman. However, depending on her AFSC, she may not use it at all. Take her shopping when she's on leave

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Wait until she graduates from Basic and advanced training...

Do NOT buy her M9 mags--she won't have any use for them...unless you by her a matching Beretta. She won't be able to use any of these for "official" training--and if she's enlisted, most only qualify on the M-16A3/M-4.

+1 to Raevan

My recommendation: pocket knife or leatherman. However, depending on her AFSC, she may not use it at all. Take her shopping when she's on leave
    You KIDDIN' me? Lol, you don't know this girl! I wouldn't have any money left!!!! lol

Naw, thanks for the advice, guys. I'm followin it. :)

Why so SERIOUS?

Everythig is issued in the Mil.

You can't bring your own Mags to basic and or AIT. Knife? I can't remember, course it was over 20 years ago for me. Prolly not allowed now, ask the recruter.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ditto on the dont bring it to basic, and I would highly recommend that she not carry a auto opening knife unless shes deployed into a combat zone. There is alot of misconception about carrying auto opening knives in the military but it is infact illegal unless approved by the unit commander, but overlooked when in combat zones or filling a combat billet. If it was me, I'd recommend either a knife the size of a Delica (Spyderco) or Mini Commander (Emerson) backed up by a Gerber Multitool. Have the blade engraved as a commeritive to her accomplishment.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Actually the most usefull gift you can give her is a multitool, she has may kinds and variations to choose from. In a combat zone a 5-7 inch fixed blade is very usefull, if she is in a noncombat assignment then a folding knife with blade less then 4 inches would be in order. Again wait till she is on permanant asignment or at least in her training school after basic.

UPDATE!

Update: Looks like she is going for a position in the AF security/policing area (basically she wants to work with their K9s). So I'm guessing that the spyderco delica/emerson mini commander would be the best option?

Why so SERIOUS?

If she is a "civilian" right now, enlisting for the very first time, writte down your mailing address so she remembers to writte you. When you get her address at "basic", in the very first letters you send her, include a big book of stamps - she'll have a better use for them than for a knife.

Save the knife for after she graduates "basic" or it will end up in a paper bag in a warehouse/trash can (since it will be considered contraband).

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I will change my comments a little then. If she is going to work K9, my suggestion would be a Emerson or Spyderco with a WAVE feature. Served as a trainer and handler for years and one hand opening is premium. After she gets her feet on the ground a good high quality auto-opener would be in line. With the dog on one hand, everything needs to be one handed. The WAVE is a great start. I can HIGHLY recommend a Emerson as I have carried one of them daily for almost as many years as shes been alive, LOL. Wish her luck and tell her to enjoy the "snake pit".
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Links