EMTs - what's your working knife?

This is a discussion on EMTs - what's your working knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My best friend back east just finished up his EMT certification, and mentioned he's looking for an EMS knife that's got a seatbelt/web cutter, a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: EMTs - what's your working knife?

EMTs - what's your working knife?

My best friend back east just finished up his EMT certification, and mentioned he's looking for an EMS knife that's got a seatbelt/web cutter, a glass breaker, maybe other features.

Suggestions from the emergency responders here?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

Depends on the company you work for. Some don't allow weapons of any kind to be carried, recently Denver banned D-cell maglites because of an incident with one. I personally work for a volunteer station and we work up in the mountains so we have leathermans, benchmade, pretty much anything we want to carry since we're so far from the nearest hospital.

He won't be breaking any glass unless he runs into an extreme situation where immediate extrication is necessary. However I've found that a simple pocketknife or leatherman is all I need, anything else you might need would be easily found on the ambulance or in LEO vehicles.
    QKShooter likes this.

Administrator
    I'll give you some that you can have him search for.
    There is some amount of personal preference involved and also if an EMT is permitted to carry a knife/rescue tool with a point AKA (capable of inflicting a stabbing injury) or not. Some would be considered to be exclusively a rescue tool and others could be also classed as a weapon.
    Prices are all over the place.

Here are some names.

GERBER Hinderer

S&W First Responder

Colt Firearms EMS (rounded point)

Rostfrei EMT (basically rounded with full serrations)

Ontario XR-1

Spyderco Rescue

Victorinox Rescue Tool

FOX KNIVES FKMD ALSR Knife Saw Rescue Multi-Tool (Nice Expensive)

FOX KNIVES ALSR2

Spyderco BREEDEN
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK, thanks!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A good glass breaking tool is a spring loaded punch. It'll shatter glass without it splattering all over the patient inside the car.

Used with shelving paper, you can peal away the shattered glass with very little mess.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    QK, thanks!
    Also take a look at the Emerson SARK.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The one that I have used that meets the requirements is the S&W folder with the serrated blade with the pry tip and the built in window punch. I carry one of those in my go bag and have for years. But it's not my first go-to knife. My every shift pocletknife is a Spyderco Mariner. Solidly built all stainless knife. Haven't been able to kill it yet and I use it for everything. Another knife I find myself carrying every shift is a Böker that looks lke a pen. Maybe a Wegner design? It fits in the pen pocket on my uniform shirt sleeve. Hidden in plain sight backup. I have also carried an inexpensive S&W boot knife for many years. It isn't the best but it was a gift from a mentor who carried it until he retired and then gave it to me. When I don't carry that I have been known to carry a Cold Steel punch knife in that boot. Not a big fan of neck knives but I do have a Mantis Cyclops for occasional need. If anybody noticies the outline I tell them it's my Iron Man chest thing.

One thing that I found to be very helpful is a window punch with a built in handcuff key. It looks like a pen (notice a theme?) but the body is made of a tightly coiled spring and where the pen tip would be is a steel point. Easy to use as a punch, but with a "just in case" addition.

My station covers several jails, a prison, detox, drug treatment centers, psych treatment, and also a large section of I-95 and I-4. Major highways with good wrecks. My selections may be biased. Also consider that it may technically be ilegal to bring a "weapon" into some facilities, but not to brimg in a tool necessary for doing your job.... That's about all I will say about that.

I tell my partners the pen knife is for me to use in case of a prison riot. When they ask what I'm going to do with a scalpel blade when faced with angry rioters I tell them the truth. "I'm going to stab you in the leg, and then I won't have to run, I can walk away). Silly rookies!
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Administrator
    Slightly off topic.
    My Wife has one of these on her keychain, Res Q Me spring loaded glass breaker and seat belt cutter.
    Very lightweight and they work very well.
    Superhouse 15 and DaltonGang like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=230603702229

Found a link to the handcuff key, nobody I know just random Google search.

As for the Res Q Me, the state issues one of those to every Florida Highway Patrol Trooper. They work, I have one in my car and gave them to all my family.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm not an EMT but I really like the Benchmade Triage and think it would be good for the role. Are there any EMTs here that carry a Triage?

I carry either a Spyderco Endura 4 or a cheap no name auto opener. I carry them mostly for self defense because by lame policy I am forbidden from carrying a gun. I rarely use a knife during my daily duties.
    A tool that I use way more frequently, and I find to be very multi purpose in my profession, are a pair of heavy duty, high quality trauma shears. They cut through jeans, belts, shoes, seat belts etc..like butter. They can be used to break windows and also as an impact weapon. Google "big shears." Mine are a different brand, 20 years old, look brand new, but very similar. On the pricey side, but will last an entire career.

Not that you asked ME, but as a nurse I carry either a benchmade 4 inch folder (1/2 serrated, 1/2 non) or a gerber smooth edge folder (about 3in). I also carry a leatherman blast.

GREAT knives all around. It amazes me and my co-workers how often theyre needed. From fixing the printer to cutting NG tubbing off a roll.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by H82Miss View Post
    A tool that I use way more frequently, and I find to be very multi purpose in my profession, are a pair of heavy duty, high quality trauma shears. They cut through jeans, belts, shoes, seat belts etc..like butter. They can be used to break windows and also as an impact weapon.
    Something like this? Leatherman multi-tools: Raptor
    Bitter clinger!

There are consequences…..

Boker Automat Kalashnikov 74, auto knife. Works good when the trauma shears are already in use, or for self defense while in the hood.

I try to limit myself to using the trauma shears where applicable for my, and my patients safety.

I'll tell you what, trauma shears cut through anything...

Benchmade Triage for a few reasons:
    - Made in USA
    - Awesome Warranty
    - N680 Blade Steel, Easy to maintaince, no rusting or corrosion
    - Grippy G10 scales for awesome secure gripping with or without gloves

Check out my review on the Benchmade Triage - Benchmade 915 Triage | Blade Reviews 101
    Blade Reviews 101 - Knife, Tactical & Survival Gear Reviews
    The Knife Exchange - Buy, Sell, and Trade Knives
    Facebook - Instagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links