My carry knives

My carry knives

This is a discussion on My carry knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got bored so i thought i would post a pic of my most carried knives. The fixed blade just came in the mail from ...

Thread: My carry knives

My carry knives

I got bored so i thought i would post a pic of my most carried knives. The fixed blade just came in the mail from mantis knives so i have no opion yet, the others are a k bar zombie killer, a k bar warthog, a crkt m16 operation iraqi freedom, a benchmade griptilian, and a camillus HEAT auto opening knife....... all serve a purpose and they all rock o

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I'm a Kershaw man

The warthog is a good knife, loved mine except blade felt small for me (opinion) Your Kabar Mule (Zombie Killer) Is nice but I loved my Mule w the G10 scales. Good choice but the original style (zombie is different colors then original) seemed real bulky to me.

Love my CRKT and Matis dosnt make a bad knife. Thats a good looking Fixed.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

i have never actually owned a kershaw but i have always wanted an onion lol
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    The warthog is a good knife, loved mine except blade felt small for me (opinion) Your Kabar Mule (Zombie Killer) Is nice but I loved my Mule w the G10 scales. Good choice but the original style (zombie is different colors then original) seemed real bulky to me.

Love my CRKT and Matis dosnt make a bad knife. Thats a good looking Fixed.
    I agree the mule is bulky but man it feels good in the hand lol. The warthog is a good GP knife but i hate the scales on it they are very rough. The mantis feels good in the hand and balances pretty knicely. I would ahve liked a smaller sheath, but I will give it a wirl as a CC piece shortly
    ~Daniel Webster

I like Kershaws quite a bit but my EDC is a Spyderco Ladybug3 in ZDP (British Racing Green). If I have pants on I have that knife.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Just picked up this knife a couple of weeks back. I have never owned a S&W before. I gotta say that i am pretty impressed so far.photo.jpg

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I think you guys are all way too small. Those are all (with the exception of the K-Bars) pocket knives, and not defensive carry knives. Nothing wrong with them as a last ditch, but I wouldn't be relying on them when you're in the red zone. Carrying a knife for defense requires a whole different attitude. A .380 is still a projectile, but this doesn't hold true for blades.

There is a reason that combat knives don't come in small sizes, but rather all have blades that are 6" or longer. The human body isn't designed to absorb projectiles, but it is set up quite well to protect against stabs and cuts, and you need a blade long enough to overcome those design features. It won't be West Side Story, and you won't be dance-fighting.

If were talking about self defense, I love my cold steel fixed Tanto. I carry it horizontal in my waste. In general I have mixed feelings about Cold steel but love that damn knife

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I hear that allot. I've been buying Cold Steel Products since they first started making them in the '80s. I still have most of their knives that have long since been discontinued. I think allot of people have mixed or bad feelings about them because they make such a broad range of products. They have cheap steel knives for $6 that are worth $6, and some pretty amazing blades for a couple of hundred. They have developed a lot of firsts, in as much as taking hand made processes and designs and figuring out how to mass produce them.

Some people get mad because they aren't purists, and carry a whole bunch of mall ninja stuff, but I'm sure it's a profit center for them. While it may not be tactically correct some if it is good fun. I bought one of their sjambok whips and keep it at the cabin. After a couple of drinks the thing can't be resisted, and I've found nothing on earth better for killing snakes, nothing. When I was a kid, my dad ordered a blowgun for me from "The Jivaro Blowgun Company" out of the back of a magazine or comic book. CS bought that company years back, and turned their toy into a pretty serious instrument...also great fun...

Some of their swords are also of excellent quality for production blades. I have a half dozen of them. My first was a CS katana when I was 12 y/o purchased with lawn cutting money (during the blowgun era). That thing has cut down a forest of saplings, and although the corded grip is frayed and looks like it's been drug through the mud (it has), the blade itself is still true, and holds a flat-ground edge better than most combat knives. They send me a factory seconds email every once in a while, and I'll buy something if I think it's a deal.

You definitely get what you pay for, and I'm willing to pay for their serious designs, and I've never felt disappointed or let down by any of them. I cannot say the same for quite a few other high end knives.

Like most production knife companies every one of their designs isn't great, or made with the best steel. I have Tops knives that I love and others that I don't. Even Benchmade and Spyderco have some designs I wouldn't pay for. And while BK/Kbar is certainly one of the best values in the knife market (I doubt anyone who owns wouldn't attest to their virtues) their materials are way behind allot of companies.

In my opinion there are two production knife companies who make products where every single one of their designs almost flawless, and they use the latest micro-forged steels in their process. In these two companies you will notice a conformity and near total lack of any innovation or change from what is proven. The thinking goes that if you've achieved perfection why mess it up, and there is a great deal of truth to that. These are truly keepin' it simple knives of the highest quality you can buy in a store:

http://www.fallkniven.com/
    I have several of these, and unless you go to a smith of some renown, and he builds you something from scratch, you probably can't beat it. You can beat the hell out of the price, and for most it probably isn't worth it, it simply is for me.

?????? - ???? ?????
    I only have the Arad, which I bought in Haifa on liberty, but I've handled some of their other designs, and they're all ready for a trip to Mars.

The old prepper question of, "If you could only have one knife..." is answered for me by either the Dustar Arad or the Fallkniven A-1 or S-1. I don't CCW a fixed blade knife, but if I did it would also be one of these.

Links