I'd catch the sheath on everything.

This is a discussion on I'd catch the sheath on everything. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ran into a client yesterday while working, and I asked him if he had a knife that needed sharpening. He pulled up his coat, ...

Thread: I'd catch the sheath on everything.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar

I'd catch the sheath on everything.

I ran into a client yesterday while working, and I asked him if he had a knife that needed sharpening. He pulled up his coat, and revealed a modest four-inch sheath knife. (It was a tasteful type, not a flashy chromed Bowie.) It was obvious from his style of dress that he had been working.

I asked him about that choice, and he proffered that he hated large objects in his pockets, and even usually left his wallet locked in his car. This isn't the first time that I've heard this, as one of the local Harley mechanics wears a similar knife for the same considerations.

Now, when riding, I do wear a sheath, but for a folder. A larger pocket-clip style folder digs into the top of my right thigh. And even then, if a smaller folder is carried (or one that doesn't dig into me like the Li'l Temperance), I leave the belt knife at home.

In this era of "knives at the airport" and other public displays of knives, is this a good choice?

Is comfort important enough to display this style?

Finally, does all of this hassle provide a access to a better knife?

2. Remove Ads

My usual EDC is inside the pocket. Totally. Occasionally, I'll clip it to my belt, 1 o'clock, and depend on a loosely tucked shirt to conceal it (slight paunch doesn't hurt, either).

When I'm "in the country," I frequently carry a fixed blade, behind the hip, with the tip of the sheath tucked inside my hip pocket, precisely to minimize the snagging problem.

My old Schrade heavy-bladed hunting knife, with approx. 5" blade, makes my Cuda Maxx seem frail, so it's good for huntin' and fishin'. A mite too much for my in-city daily life, though.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I think a belt knife just draws too much attention (not to mention the "catches on everything\" issue that you raise). That doesn't mean I limit myself to folders: I have a nice John Roy custom fixed 4" that rides in a kydex sheath in my front strong-side pocket. It works well for me, and does not attract attention. (Great knife, too.)

http://www.knivesauction.com/dawsonk...on_knives.html

Lead Moderator
    For me its a matter of legality. In MI sheath knives over 3" are borderline illegal. I don't need the hassles, considering I am carrying a gun.

I'm growing to like wearing a knife in appendix carry more and more. I wear a 5-inch Cold Steel Gunsite model (5.5 inch is the blade length limit where I live) inside my waistband between my belt buckle and the point of my right hip. It's comfortable. Nobody's noticed it yet (unless I show them). I have a lot of knife there. It's accessable to either hand (and wickedly good for firearm retention when I pin the pistol into the holster with my strong hand and draw the big folder in reverse grip with my weak hand.)

Chuck
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Im in the same boat as rocky Knifes over certain lengths to carry are illegal and no knife is cover by our CPL they made sure to change name and try to use concealed pistol lic when ever they can instead of the old ccw.

Wont even cover a baton

Chuck, your Gunsite is a folder, right? As much as I like appendix carry for other things, I just can't bring myself to put a sheath knife there. :o

Mike Janich teaches a neat way to wear a fixed blade. If I understand, it was developed by a guy named James S. Piorek (aka Bladerigger). He rigs knives with a "neck Knife" type sheath with a loop of cord or beaded chain attached to the tip end of the sheath.

1) Loop the cord under your belt.
    2) Pass the knife/sheath through the loop so it's now tied to the belt.
    3) Tuck the sheath inside the waistband. The loop of cord will keep it stable and from falling too far down. It can ride pretty low in the waistband this way and have a very low profile.
    4) To draw, grab whatever part of the handle extends above the belt-line and pull up. The sheath will (usually) come out with the knife but that's fine, the cord or chain will stop it and pull it free.

It's a fast deploying and low-profile way to carry a fixed blade.

Chuck
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    For me its a matter of legality. In MI sheath knives over 3" are borderline illegal. I don't need the hassles, considering I am carrying a gun.

Same here, and though the laws are stupid (no automatic knives, no balisongs, no fixed bladed knives in WA but the high-capacity semi-automatic handgun is good to go) in principle, I'm not affected in any practical way. I have exactly two fixed-bladed knives, one a Buck knife of some sort and the other a very old knife of uncertain origin (that is nonetheless very sturdy and sharp). Neither would be useful really nor voluntarily carried by me in 99.9% of situations. The folding knives I have work much better.

That the sheeple would be bothered is of little concern to me quite honestly though. If it's legal and more comfortable, more power to them. If the sheeple aren't smart enough to see that it's the character of the offending object's owner and not the object they should be concerned about, then they deserve a little unease IMO.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Exclamation

Chuck, I like and use that method for a sheath in the pocket, but . . . eesh, sharpened steel right next to my genitals (whether in a leather or kydex sheath or not) just gives me the willies. It might be just my issue, though - I've certainly never heard of anyone hurt by carrying in this way. On the other hand, I have personally gotten poked when a sheath knife in my front pocket sawed through the stitching on its leather sheath, so there's a reason I'm paranoid.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich
    Chuck, I like and use that method for a sheath in the pocket, but . . . eesh, sharpened steel right next to my genitals (whether in a leather or kydex sheath or not) just gives me the willies. It might be just my issue, though - I've certainly never heard of anyone hurt by carrying in this way. On the other hand, I have personally gotten poked when a sheath knife in my front pocket sawed through the stitching on its leather sheath, so there's a reason I'm paranoid.
    I'm with you Erich. Not me, no way. I keep anything that goes bang, anything sharp, and most things that bite away from that area.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

That certainly is understandable. Really, when I carry a sheath knife in IWB-appendix carry, it was a short little Spyderco S.P.O.T. that really didn't reach all the way down to the "danger zone." Its thick kydex sheath is pretty rugged and would be hard to poke through. It's tip rested really more over my appendix or bladder area than near my genitals.

Chuck

On the other hand, I have very little problem carrying a gun that way. (?) I make sure that I "dress" to the other side, though, and - if it's a Glock - I use a Saf-T-Block in addition to the holster.

Links