Rode the lightning for the first time...

This is a discussion on Rode the lightning for the first time... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ... OMG THAT HURT SO BAD. Couldn't wimp out and do less than the full five seconds, but the instructor decided to be a nice ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Rode the lightning for the first time...

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar

Rode the lightning for the first time...

... OMG THAT HURT SO BAD.

Couldn't wimp out and do less than the full five seconds, but the instructor decided to be a nice guy and put the alligator clamps on my left shoulder and the back of my left leg just over my knee. >.<

My only goal was to not scream like a little girl, at which I succeeded.

But I still can't walk normally.
    blanco64 likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

2. Remove Ads

I thought we couldn't talk about illegal things here? Or maybe I'm getting this and chasing the dragon mixed up?
    blitzburgh and blanco64 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Fun, ain't it?

It seems to affect some people a bit differently. Did it myself, previously, and while it was a shocker it didn't get extremely painful. Though, I've heard most folks report they felt mucho pain, like you. I, too, walked a bit rickety, afterwards, but that soon wore off. Strange stuff, the "lightning." Gave the testers (LEO's and supervisors) a chuckle, while we all took turns. IIRC, it was filmed as well, just in case something went ugly. (It's been awhile.)
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 3rd, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I thought we couldn't talk about illegal things here? Or maybe I'm getting this and chasing the dragon mixed up?
    TASER certification if you didn't know. :D

Seemed like the closer the probes were, the easier it was. We had a couple of screamers and floppers, but I think my no-screaming goal was a common aim.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    TASER certification if you didn't know. :D

Seemed like the closer the probes were, the easier it was. We had a couple of screamers and floppers, but I think my no-screaming goal was a common aim.
    Ah. Pass.
    mano3 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post

Couldn't wimp out and do less than the full five seconds, but the instructor decided to be a nice guy and put the alligator clamps on my left shoulder and the back of my left leg just over my knee. >.<
    Kinda sounds like he was going for your heart...
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

If I did this I think my goal would be to not pee myself. I don't care if I scream like a girl as long as my pants are dry at the end.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

We had to take the probes and a full 5 second ride when I got certified. Wasn't bad at all. Upper shoulder and lower back was where mine landed. I would take 20 hits with a taser to one exposure to OC spray though. At least the taser is quick and relatively fast to recover from...
    Tzadik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman1320 View Post
    We had to take the probes and a full 5 second ride when I got certified. Wasn't bad at all. Upper shoulder and lower back was where mine landed. I would take 20 hits with a taser to one exposure to OC spray though. At least the taser is quick and relatively fast to recover from...
    Agreed... TASER is no fun, but at least the second it's done, it's done.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I did it several years ago during my Paramedic internship. I went through it with a new firefighter and a new cop. Did the whole LEO certification class, we all got shocked (full 5 seconds with the barbs) and all shocked the instructor. Oh, and when they say turn the Taser off to reload the cartridge, make sure you listen, or you'll get a wakeup call like I did.

Very painful, yet like is often stated, when it's done, it's done. However, I know not to volunteer for it again :)

I took one as part of a citizens police academy a while back. I honestly don't remember it hurting. I just remember getting really tense for a few seconds and being stiff for a minute afterwards.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

We should do this to everybody right before letting them vote. Have them show they really mean it.
    blanco64 and Brad426 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    If I did this I think my goal would be to not pee myself. I don't care if I scream like a girl as long as my pants are dry at the end.
    I was concerned about that also.

As it turns out it was unfounded. That was the least of my worries. I was locked up tight.

You couldn't have pulled a sewing needle out of my ass with a D9 Caterpillar.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I was concerned about that also.

As it turns out it was unfounded. That was the least of my worries. I was locked up tight.

You couldn't have pulled a sewing needle out of my ass with a D9 Caterpillar.
    Must... burn... brain... to make image... go away...
    gasmitty likes this.
    Clint Eastwood

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I have a friend who is a deputy,and a rather large fellow.He was talking about having to be tased,when he first started.He said he would quit,before,he did that again.I'm guessing,it stings,just a tad bit,lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links