This is a discussion on Age within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What age would you let your children start carrying defensive implements?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Age

What age would you let your children start carrying defensive implements?

2. Remove Ads

Nix
    I don't have children, so my opinion isn't worth the e-page this is typed on. I think it may depend on the individual maturity of the child in question. There are some 21 year-olds I wouldn't trust with a Swiss Army knife. Then again, granddad gave me my first switchblade at 10 years old and I managed to not stab anyone except myself. Carried a .22 in the woods as a 10 years old as well.

It is so situationally dependent that a standard answer will be virtually meaningless. There are some "Bright" lines though, for schools it will be dictated by ISD policy or statutes or both, or in urban areas, the statutes. In others, it may only be dependent on the youth - camping out, hiking, the like.

Regardless, it will always be dependent on the maturity of the child, and appropriate training.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 3rd, 2013 at 11:35 PM.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Depends on the kid and the maturity and understanding that they show toward the practice of doing so. Age is of no relevance really.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I would never let any of my four sons carry any weapons of any kind till they were old enough to be on their own. That said they were very large boys an did not need anything. I never saw lunch meat, milk or bread in t he house for 15 years glad they aregrown an on thier own.
    NONAME762 likes this.

With all due respect the combination of "children" and "defensive implements" in the same question is somewhat bothersome. If you were asking when to start teaching a child about firearm safety, that's a different issue. Defensive purposes? They should be of legal age...and that's depends on what "legal age" is in your area. good luck
    StormRhydr likes this.

I think all questions like this boil down to the maturity level of the individual. Unfortunately too many people who are "of legal age" are nowhere near mature enough. An interesting dichotomy that people are maturing physically faster, but seem to be maturing mentally much slower.
    scgunlover1 and NONAME762 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM.45 View Post
    Start carrying? Lawfully, at the age when they are capable of obtaining a CHL or carrying openly. Each and every one of them, as part of their normal and customary preparations for the day, much like donning socks and grabbing the keys/wallet. On hunts and rounding the property (ie, on ranches)? The moment they show they are every bit as responsible and capable of safely and effectively managing a defensive sidearm, presuming they've been properly gun-proofed and safely introduced to the responsibility/risks.

Start shooting? Young as possible, presuming they enjoy the activity.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Didnt do it with my sons this early on their own but I was carrying a Colt frontier scout in a oc holster when I was out and about on the farm feeding bringing in the cattle or horses while alone etc from the time I was 8 on my own. Or when myself and local boys would go camping or hunting.
    Different time then though. Kids seemed to be different too then.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

...my youngest, now 20, has been carrying his own 3" .38 at home and while working in the yard when I'm gone since 12...concealed...he's been handling since 8, shooting since about 9...not just responsible but very thoroughly trained...a real part of our home defense...
    Sister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM.45 View Post
    As soon as the law allows.

That's for my children, though, I wouldn't presume to make a one-size-fits-all answer for all children.
    ccw9mm and Snub44 like this.

When I was a kid I carried a pocket knife all the time, I don't remember what age but I was very young. I never actually thought of it as a defensive weapon though, just handy to have with me. I did however use my God given defensive weapons a lot..
    pignut, FlaRon and StormRhydr like this.

I can't remember how old I was when I started with a pocket knife but I almost came up to Grandpa's knee.
    FlaRon and StormRhydr like this.

I never looked at a knife as a defensive weapon, but I carried everything from a pen knife in my pocket to a hunting knife strapped to my belt all over town. When in my early to late teens I was never without a knife because they were useful in the woods. We would also have have fake knife fights (with the sheath on) that used to drive my grandmother nuts.
    That's my youth history, as for my own kids they were all girls so it never applied.
    NONAME762, StormRhydr and srings like this.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    I would never let any of my four sons carry any weapons of any kind till they were old enough to be on their own. That said they were very large boys an did not need anything. I never saw lunch meat, milk or bread in t he house for 15 years glad they aregrown an on thier own.
    My nephew is around 22 or so. He is an eating machine. When I go visit my Sister I always take my own grub cuz if I don't I might starve. I keep my grub in my truck too.

--------------------------
    As to the OP's question...I never had any kids.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links