My new EDC fixed blade

My new EDC fixed blade

This is a discussion on My new EDC fixed blade within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always carried an edged weapon. Usually a folding knife. Right now i always have a Cold Steel Rajah 3 in my pocket. But ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 031131

Thread: My new EDC fixed blade

My new EDC fixed blade

I have always carried an edged weapon. Usually a folding knife. Right now i always have a Cold Steel Rajah 3 in my pocket. But I have been wanting to carry a fixed blade. I like the Ka-Bar TDI knife, but the sheath sucks. I have also been looking for a good knife to use if I were stuck in a corner or have been mounted on the ground and have no way out. I have purchased a Cold Steel Safe Keeper 2 push knife and also attached it to a Blade Tech Tek Lok belt clip so I can wear it at a 45 degree angle cross draw. Its fast and easy to use if needed. I absolutely love this knife. A friend now wants one too. All i need now is to make a safe practice version.

Many years ago I had Mini Pal on my key ring. mini pal.jpg
    Later, I coveted a full sized version but since they're illegal here I never did buy one. barnes.jpg I hope yours serves you well.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    fixed blade 001.jpgfixed blade 002.jpgfixed blade 003.jpgHere is my fixed blade concealed solution.Shadow Tech spearpoint fixed blade knife, kydex sheath with blade tech tek lock mount.It 's hard to beat the tek lock for adaptability.
    The easy way is always mined.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I have the same one in my briefcase. It's a wicked little fang.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Administrator
    Have you guys seen the Video on the Cold Steel website of the guy punching into the hanging pig carcass with the Safe Maker?
    I am very familiar with that exact knife.
    Unfortunately in Pennsylvania it is considered to be a dagger and is therefore on the PA. Prohibited Weapons List and so I an unable to carry one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Have you guys seen the Video on the Cold Steel website of the guy punching into the hanging pig carcass with the Safe Maker?
    I am very familiar with that exact knife.
    Unfortunately in Pennsylvania it is considered to be a dagger and is therefore on the PA. Prohibited Weapons List and so I an unable to carry one.

If for nothing else, just watching that very fat fella hacking at things... I find it comical, mainly due to the waves made in his chin.
    CIBMike likes this.

...I've long wanted one of the TDI knives...but illegal here for me to carry...so I settled for a Columbia River Bear Claw...single edge...razor sharp...and a good get-em-off-blade...I got the plain edge, but it's available serrated...and blunt tipped for firemen/EMS work...

Congrats on a the purchase. Cold Steel makes good blades, mostly. I like the Ti-Lites - both 4.5 and 6 inch - and have both.

The Rajah is probably as much knife as anybody would need. That's a mini-machete.

Not sure about push-daggers. Those are specialized weapons and problematic for several reasons. First, they are mainly effective for thrusting. If you're caught in the mounted position, for example, you aren't in the best position to jab. Sure, you can. But slashing would be easier.

As a test, set up a 2x4 or sheet of plywood and practice punching at it with a push dagger (go easy at first). The handle does not give you an optimal grip. The blade will want to twist and flex in your grip, and you run a major risk of cutting up your own hand and fingers. Only a straight, perfect dead-on hit will work. Now, add in rolling around on the ground, the blade getting caught in the assailant's clothing, your chances of a correct strike are low.

There are some push knives out there that have handles that mitigate these problems by offering a full-fist, contoured, indented grip that minimizes flex, but these are still odd ducks out in the knife world.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Shockwave, you are right that it is difficult to get a good thrust with this blade in a mounted position. However, you can get a good grip on the knife and cut across the mounted assailant's belly. I was rather surprised at how strong a grip I can get on it. I can make relatively good cuts with it even if it was more a thrusting knife.

Also, my Sifu has really focused on teaching us the 1 and 3 inch punch. You would be surprised at how much power can be generated in such a short distance. Not much is really needed with this style of knife though. It slides in with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Looks like it'd make holes in all the right places, bro. Here's hopin' you never need to make'm.

dan

Sponsored Links