Anyone own a Taser?

This is a discussion on Anyone own a Taser? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter is a nurse in Birmingham, AL. Her job requires her to walk through a parking garage at all hours. I bought her some ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Texron
  • 1 Post By FlaRon
  • 1 Post By Chaplain Scott
  • 1 Post By Madcap_Magician

Thread: Anyone own a Taser?

Anyone own a Taser?

My daughter is a nurse in Birmingham, AL. Her job requires her to walk through a parking garage at all hours. I bought her some good police-quality ASP Defender pepper spray, but I'm considering buying her a Taser. A couple of weeks ago a (pregnant) nurse was abducted and robbed from a parking garage not far from her hospital. Thankfully, she escaped and they caught the guy.

A handgun isn't an option and the "security patrol" is worthless. Apologies if this has been discussed a million times. She's my baby girl.

Anyone?

2. Remove Ads

My daughter is also a nurse who often works past dark. Last December, I bought her a stun gun with a flashlight. She keeps it in her purse at work and in her hand on her way to her car. It certainly makes me feel better.

Distinguished Member
    Interesting timing. I was at a gun show today and I saw some flashlights with stun functions. the $45. and up units were very impressive! If I didn't already have about 5 handguns and bear spray I might have just bought one. Nearly did anyway.
    The guy said that once you get to 2 million volts they will put ANYONE down. Course I liked the 5 million volt models :)

1 If id
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I thought about getting my wife one, too, but then I remembered how mad I sometimes make her, so I decided not to.
    Aceoky, Arborigine and jim282 like this.

VIP Member
    Wife is a doc... I thank God that the hospital doesn't prevent them from carrying a firearm.

But I own a taser. I'm a pretty big fan of them. Not perfect but it is sure better than nothing.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Personally I wouldnt depend on one but as Echo says its better than nothing. Far from reliable, but if everything works and hooks up as its supposed too they will put the BG on the ground. Better than a dirty look and the bodily function defense.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Cool

The problem with Tasers is they take practice just like a firearm and the individual cartridges are expensive.

Before retirement we had yearly taser recertification and got to use two cartridges each on a practice target (we only had to take "the ride" on initial qualification).

I bought my wife a Taser C2 civilian model and had her shoot two cartridges for familiarization.

She prefers her S&W 649 and is a licensed CCW holder so now I have a Taser in my car.

The C2 is a quality product with a laser sight and LED light and though not the police model 26 it will do the job.

Shoot the attacker, drop the Taser and haul butt. Make a police report and Taser gives you a new taser at no charge.

Taser will not sell their products without a criminal background check of the buyer.

Best Self Defense Products: TASER® C2? CEW

Regards,

FlaRon

P.S. Here is a simple low cost option however you need to make physical contact with the aggressor to apply the stun function.
    http://www.taser.com/products/self-d...er-strikelight
    tdave likes this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I don't own one, but have been issued one for Patrol duties.

I would, as FlaRon says, buy her the civilian model of the X26. The nice thing about the Taser is that it does provide you some "Stand off" distance, (as opposed to the stun gun which requires dangerously close contact) and the Laser sight is very nice. (if its dark, and she lights up the scumbag's chest with the Laser, he may think its a gun and beat feet ) If you shoot the scumbag, but only get one of the two probe in, you can still complete the cycle by making physical contact with the "gun" against any part of the perps' body and squeezing the trigger. If the scumbag is close, you can still press the X26 up against their body and "stitch" them, they will still get a nice "ride" out of it

After you buy one, if you have any friends who are cops of any variety, ask them, (esp. if its a small department) if your wife can "sit in" on the department's next Taser class. (When they find out why she is there, I'd bet that they "unofficially" allow her to do much more than merely "sit in"
    FlaRon likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Not the OP but been thinking along these lines. Thanks to those responding for the good info and to the OP for posting.

Thanks for the helpful comments. Very much appreciated.

My wife has a Taser. It will shoot 15ft and has a red dot laser built in. The battery pack does not last long enough and they are expensive to replace. I talked to the factory and they said it should be sent back to them. I haven't sent it yet. The thing is pink and looks like a vibrator:)

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    TASERs are excellent, stun guns, not so much. A TASER is effective because the spread of the darts creates what they call "Neuromuscular Incapacitation," which basically means large muscle groups through which electricity is flowing will lock up for the duration of the shock. Stun guns will only create localized pain because the distance between the contacts is much smaller, though this can happen with a TASER at close range, too, if the darts aren't far apart. However, if the darts are too close to cause effective NMI with a TASER, you just drive-stun some other part of the body to get a three-point zap, and that works great. Hurts like hell.

When I got certified, I got alligator-clipped for five seconds, and all I could think about was how much I felt like being very compliant.

Practice cartridges are expensive, and so is the electrically conductive practice target. Keep in mind that the top dart goes more or less straight out, but the bottom dart angles downward.
    Gav1230 likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Links