Air Travel with Knifes?

This is a discussion on Air Travel with Knifes? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Flew with my Pistol for the first time this month, everything went great. But we may be heading on a trip where I cannot carry ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MidWorld
  • 3 Post By rstickle
  • 1 Post By Madcap_Magician

Thread: Air Travel with Knifes?

Air Travel with Knifes?

Flew with my Pistol for the first time this month, everything went great. But we may be heading on a trip where I cannot carry so I would like to bring a knife or knifes, but how do you do it??
    Locked in pistol case after being declared is scary enough but just packed and taking your chances??
    IDK, this seems like a bad idea too. Any experience doing it?

Thanks for any comments

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tanninman View Post
    Flew with my Pistol for the first time this month, everything went great. But we may be heading on a trip where I cannot carry so I would like to bring a knife or knifes, but how do you do it??
    Locked in pistol case after being declared is scary enough but just packed and taking your chances??
    IDK, this seems like a bad idea too. Any experience doing it?

Thanks for any comments
    I would just buy something low priced when you get to where you're going and then leave it there when you fly home. Not worth the trouble IMHO.
    sanfordreed likes this.

Lead Moderator
    I just toss them in checked luggage. No need to lock or notify on a knife. Just don't leave it in carry-on or it will join TSA's MASSIVE pile of knives already waiting for disposition.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I just toss them in checked luggage. No need to lock or notify on a knife. Just don't leave it in carry-on or it will join TSA's MASSIVE pile of knives already waiting for disposition.
    ^ What he said. I have contractors that travel to sites and bring all sorts of tools with them to include knives that they check. I have a small knife that I bring along when I travel to sites as well and it has never caused an issue in my checked bag.

Indeed...do an eBay search. There are tons of auctions for knife lots wherein this is explained in the description. Some pretty good deals too - mostly on small Swiss Army and Victronix type knives.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Would you toss a $100. knife in luggage??
    I am leaning towards buying one there.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I bring a Spyderco and padlock it to the frame of my suitcase through the thumb opening hole.
    Nebraska12 likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I bring a Spyderco and padlock it to the frame of my suitcase through the thumb opening hole.
    Good-eyed deer...:thumbup:
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

This. In fact I am on a plane to Boston as I type this and have one in my checked bag. Never had a problem, but I don't carry a $100+ knife with me either. I have a $60 assisted opener Gerber so if someone nabs it out of my luggage it is not the end of the world.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

My favorite carry knife is my Boker Tree Brand Classic 2021 , Solingen, German Made, good steel. I probably would not just toss it in my luggage, but would take one of the cheeeeeep china made blades. Under $10.00. Everybody needs a knife at all times. More useful than (name your weapon).

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    NICE.... Thanks, that's a great tip!

I would. It's legal, so no worries about it being taken, and knives are very durable, so I wouldn't worry about damage.

Links