"Good" Knives ?

"Good" Knives ?

This is a discussion on "Good" Knives ? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have not yet owned a so-called "good" knife. One from one of the higher end makers. Are they really that much better than a ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: "Good" Knives ?

Distinguished Member

Question "Good" Knives ?

I have not yet owned a so-called "good" knife. One from one of the higher end makers. Are they really that much better than a Case or Shrade or other more inexpensive brands? Do they hold an edge while performing common knife chores, such as opening boxes or should they only be reserved for self defense. Educate me in the science of the Blade. Thanks.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Administrator
    Are you wanting a fixed blade or one that folds in the middle?

I am BUSSE Combat Knife Co. all the way for fixed blade knives.
    Their TGLB Team Gemini Light Brigade is an awesome knife. Get one while you still can because the prices go up once any knife disappears off the BUSSE website.
    Lifetime replacement guarantee (on the knife & not just the original owner) if you ever somehow, some way manage to break one through normal or even hard knife use.

Classic Old BUSSE Magazine Ad

BusseAd.jpg

Boy thats some education you are wanting, lol. OK, case and schrade are good blades. Nothing wrong with them. As a matter of fact, they were considered higher end for most people, as far as good pocket knives go.

Honestly, there is no way Id pay several hundred dollars +, to just open boxes and the like. For a fighting knife, well thats another matter.

There are very good blades that would serve you for most purposes that are not custom made. As a matter of fact, depending on the use, a cheaper blade might be the way to go, over a way expensive custom knife. But Id say it all depends on the use.

Look, the Marine Corps KBAR knife was considered a fine knife, and still is. And its not very expensive. Certainly not compared to custom makers.

Tatical Response has a forum on Edged weapons, and experts in that particular area. Im not one of them, just a guy who grew up collecting and using knives. That forum would get you an education quick. And probably save you some money.

Its nothing to spend lots on a custom blade, but its really something finding some perfectly acceptable knives at a much lower price, and they can help you out regardless of the direction you go in.

My Benchmade Nitrous Stryker has been well worth the $115 I paid for for it a few years back. After having carried Kershaw, I can tell you that yes, there is a difference. The question is, what's that difference worth to you?
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

VIP Member
    There is a guy on this forum, BR101 (Blade Reviews 101) who has a ton of info on his website, youtube channel, etc. Look up some of his info....he's a some great reviews of inexpensive/quality brands and high end/quality brands. At the end of the day...the answers you get will be like which gun is better...everyone's got different opinion.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

image.jpg partial to strider they hold a great edge easy to deploy great all around knife. Will last a lifetime

OD*
    Randall fan here, they are certainly worth the cost to me.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    Schrade knives are now made by Commies BTW.

One of my best OLD knives ever and one that saw a TON of good hard honest use was a CASE XX.
    In fact here it is with a newer totally weird sheath that I made for it before I sold it.
    I sold it because I got a lot more for it than I originally paid for it.

magneticsheath.JPG

Part of it depends on how badly you want your knife to stay sharp or do you mind sharpening on regular/daily basis and what you plan to do with it. For example Scott Gossman over at bladeforums.com has a story of his least expensive knife (2.5" blade) being used to skin out an Alaskan Brown Bear - check out his sticky on his PSK over there. Don't have any connections to him, but do want one of his knives; just using him as an example mass produced vs custom.

I was admiring your sheath. I saw that and knew darn well that wasnt factory, and I mean that in the GOOD way.

Didnt know that about schrade. Saddens me to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

One of my best OLD knives ever and one that saw a TON of good hard honest use was a CASE XX.
    In fact here it is with a newer totally weird sheath that I made for it before I sold it.

magneticsheath.JPG

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

magneticsheath.JPG
    I like that, old school with class.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I've bought and tried several knives and brands (Spyderco, SOG, Kershaw, Gerber) and finally tried Benchmade. I really liked how they looked and felt, but didn't want to spend $150 - $200 on a knife. You can often chose the type of steel you want(I prefer 154CM and D2), have several blade options (straight, partially serrated, coated or uncoated) and are built like tanks. Before long I had three Benchmades for different purposes. They have solid blades (thicker than a lot of cheaper knives), great design and workmanship, put up with a lot of use, and the Axis lock system is very secure (although it is not on all knives). They also have quite a variety to choose from.

Stores like Cabelas or smaller specialty stores usually have a good variety of knives to touch, work the action, and see how they fit on or in your pocket. Blade Reviews 101 is a good source of reviews (as mentioned above), and Blade HQ is a good place to buy online.

Hope that helps.
    StormRhydr likes this.

It also depends on what kind of knife you're looking for. Fixed blade or folder? In either case, while spending a lot doesn't guarantee you'll get a great knife, you do generally get what you pay for. A more expensive knife will generally be made of better steel and have a better heat treat. For folders there's a big difference between the myriad 440-variants and something like VG-10, let along the really great steels like M4 or M390. Those advanced alloys, especially the powders, will hold an edge a lot better than your run of the mill crucible steels.

The same holds for fixed blades. I have a few Busses and they're good knives. Knives of Alaska does a great job with D2 as well. There are lots of good makers, and the more expensive ones are (for the most part) better than the cheaper ones. There is a point of diminishing returns, of course, and for many people they're overkill.

For defensive uses? I will have to defer to others, I'm afraid. Certainly I would want the best, strongest knife I could get for combats. But I'm not trained in knife fighting at all, so for me a knife would be a terrible defensive weapon.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    i got a spyderco delica with the emerson wave feature just for self defense. my first and only expensive knife (so far). more of my knives that i own are cheaper , under 50 bucks. as far as a daily use knife i prefer a cheaper blade that has decent edge retention. i chose to use a cheap knife for daily chores because i would hate to spend a decent chunnk of change on a knife for me to beat it up. i usually carry gerbers for my daily carry but have been eying up some kershaws.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

I've got a Kershaw assisted open knife I've carried and used in Iraq. It's still with me and I wouldn't leave home without it. My favorite part of the knife is the grit-surface grip that makes it easier to maintain purchase in 'slippery situations'. It's cut through seat belts, rope, cloth, and wire and stays sharp when I'm not out beating it up.

My favorite 'pretty yet effective' knife is my Gerber Fairbairn-Applegate combat folder. Last, but certainly not least, my favorite fixed-blade in the collection is my trusty old Ka-Bar fighting knife. It has ripped open sandbags, been used as a hammer/screwdriver/can opener, and myriad other uses. It's too bad it's too big to carry on my belt her in 'Merica. :-)
    StormRhydr and rocky like this.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links