EDC for Females W/O CCW?

EDC for Females W/O CCW?

This is a discussion on EDC for Females W/O CCW? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been worried quite a bit about the females in My family lately. As I am fine tuning my EDC gear I am increasingly ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: EDC for Females W/O CCW?

EDC for Females W/O CCW?

I have been worried quite a bit about the females in My family lately. As I am fine tuning my EDC gear I am increasingly concerned about them. Early in the year I bought pepper spray for them but as I have "evolved" for lack of a better word I want them more prepared. My wife meets with judge this month to get pistol permit but here she will have to have it for 1 year before possibly being able to carry! The other girls have not even applied yet. Anyway I am thinking they should carry a powerful flashlight and perhaps a knife as well. They think I am a little nuts, I KNOW I am not!
    Any of you guys doing this? Any Ladies here prepared in this way? They will carry if I tell
    Them to but I must convince them to train with these tools as well.
    Thoughts??

Thanks,as always, You Guys are Great!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You won't get them to carry anything if their mind-sets aren't dialed in. Certainly get them to apply for pistol permits, but then I'd look around for an NRA Refuse to Be A Victim seminar. Get them thinking about situational awareness and ways to avoid trouble that don't involve firearms, then grow from there.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Mind-set is the key, like gasmitty says. Training is most important along with that. Without the mind-set and training, not even a gun helps. That said:

Krav Maga - If you can't find a LEGIT class, books and videos by Darren Levine.

Pepper spray - Fox Labs is my preferred brand.

Flashlight - I carry a 4Sevens Quark. A flashlight can be used for numerous benign applications, for safety, for stunning a potential attacker (though I wouldn't rely on that) and most importantly for self-defense, as a kubotan to harden the fist for strikes.
    tcox4freedom and gatorbait51 like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Powerful high quality small flash light and high quality lock blade folder.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Thank you for the replies, I don't know if any of these things will make them feel any safer but, God Forbid any of these girls find themselves in a bad situation I want them to at least have a fighting chance.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Powerful high quality small flash light and high quality lock blade folder.
    Care to be more specific? I was thinking Nebo Blueline & Mini Grip.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Another defensive item that has not been mentioned is a cane or walking stick coupled with some basic techniques could be a viable weapon. Canes/ walking sticks are usually legal in even the most restrictive jurisdictions. Good luck!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I am pretty lucky wifes been carrying over 20 years. I sure would not want her mad t me with that 642 she carries. That said I try o limit her exposure. I keep her car full an we do all banking online.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Teach them about situational awareness. Situational awareness is the most important component in self defense. You can have five rifles, three shotguns and a pistol on you, but if you are unaware of your surroundings, none of that firepower is worth a fiddler's fart. Teach them avoidance, and to look at people's hands. Teach them that seeing two guys split up in a parking lot means there could be some shenanigans afoot. Teach them to have their head on a swivel. Teach them that their mind is their most effective weapon.

Get them some OC spray, and have them carry it strong side on their belt. Have them practice deploying it. There is much that can be taught, and learned, before a handgun is introduced into the mix.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    If they've never thought seriously about self defense, it doesn't matter if they have a cannon in their pocket - the body cannot go where the mind has not been.

Even if it's something as simple as carrying a keychain pepper spray can, it's not the sort of thing you can buy as a talisman, forget about, and rely upon to protect you.

The biggest thing about pepper spray that people seem not to get is that (assuming it's going to work on the person) it takes anywhere from 3-15 seconds to work up to full effect, and in that time, the person you sprayed is probably going to be pretty mad.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Personally I would stay away from getting them to carry a knife as a self defense tool. To become proficient with a knife you need to go through very extensive training. The odds of that knife being taken from them and used against them is very high.

This site is worth a look.......

Black TASER C2: Safe, Effective Self-Defense

http://store.taser.com/taser-strikelight-p179.aspx

We have the C2 however my wife has her CCW and prefers her S&W Model 649 so the C2 rides in my vehicle.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by Skates View Post
    Personally I would stay away from getting them to carry a knife as a self defense tool. To become proficient with a knife you need to go through very extensive training. The odds of that knife being taken from them and used against them is very high.
    Thats a good point! For most of us that carry knifes, using it in SD is a nightmare scenario, where you are clearly in a fight for your life with no other options left!
    God Forbid, I were in a situation like that I prefer to have every possible opportunity to survive.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Not only are knives excellent defensive tools but they are gosh darn useful (like the terminology?). I carry multiple knives. If you asked me a year ago would I ever carry more than one knife I would have laughed at the idea. Now I have 3+ on me at any given time. I must admit most of the time I don't use them for what they are intended for. Well I should rephrase that. I have a dedicated utility knife that I use for everything. My most recent uses are cutting some thick paper to help start a fire (today), unjamming the draw string on a window blind (today), and opening a corona (two weeks ago). The funny thing is I have a multi-tool lol.

Anyway where I'm getting at is if you can't get them in the mindset of carrying a knife for protective purposes help them realize more practical uses that a knife would come in handy. Also trick them with putting a cause behind it. For example I got the ol ball and chain to carry the pink breast cancer awareness ka bar dozier. women love that stuff :).
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Wasp spray works and at 20+ feet!

I hope they can get their ccw permit soon, shooting sure is fun!
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links