Sharpening Knives with a Honing Rod

This is a discussion on Sharpening Knives with a Honing Rod within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any knife-smart members out there have a good guide to sharpening kitchen knives with a honing rod? My wife's set is pretty dull. I found ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By technomonster

Thread: Sharpening Knives with a Honing Rod

Any knife-smart members out there have a good guide to sharpening kitchen knives with a honing rod? My wife's set is pretty dull. I found a video on youtube that seemed to be pretty good, but since I don't know anything about the subject, I can't be sure. If anybody knows of one that is spot on that I could use, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    a honing rod is also known as a straightening steel. it is not meant to sharpen a dull knife but rather to help keep a knife sharp, once the knife is dull there is little the rod can do.

the rod also helps give the knife bite, useful for things like ripe tomato. a truly sharp knife however will not need any such help. a razor sharp knife will cut just as good as any serrated knife when it comes to tomatoes and things like rope. the serrated edge does last longer when abused while being more difficult to resharpen.

when a knife is used the fine edge folds, the rod realigns the edge to prevent the edge from folding completely over and dulling. once that happens the knife will need to be resharpened on a stone.

use a good cutting board, not one of those glass ones, they ruin knives. wood is the best, those classic plastic ones work well too and require less work to maintain. i was a professional chef for 6 years, a knife in a commercial environment will need sharpened about twice a month. a knife used at home will last about a year between sharpening.

look down the edge, if you can see the edge it is beyond what a steel can do. lightly drag the knife sideways across the top of your fingernail and it should catch. if it slides it is too dull.
    Last edited by technomonster; August 9th, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
    sanfordreed and Tzadik like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

My son is a pro chef. He's not fond of the technique using a steel. Yeah, it's stylish and all, yet he's pretty much a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker fan, even on his "high end" German chef knives. It takes a lot of the operator-error out of the mix.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Yeah with what is said above those rods are good for maintaining the edge when needed.

This may open your eyes a bit, and is possibly life changing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV5y...e_gdata_player

Links