Are these knives legal in Texas?

This is a discussion on Are these knives legal in Texas? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Texas and was looking for a knife to buy. My choice is limited since Texas only allows a few types of knives. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Are these knives legal in Texas?

I live in Texas and was looking for a knife to buy. My choice is limited since Texas only allows a few types of knives. One of them is the folding knife.
    I found some online and they say they are folding knives but I just wanted to make sure they were legal. The law says the blade can't be over 5 1/2 inches.

Columbia River Knife and Tool's 6470 Pazoda 2 Razor Edge Knife:Amazon:Home Improvement

MTECH XTREME USA MX-8027A TACTICAL FOLDING KNIFE 5" CLOSED:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

MTECH USA MT-343S Tactical Folding Knife 4-Inch Closed:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

I'm only looking for cheap ones since I don't want to use up too much money right now.

VIP Member
    yes
    yes
    yes
    Last edited by 64zebra; August 10th, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePotato View Post
    I live in Texas and was looking for a knife to buy. My choice is limited since Texas only allows a few types of knives. One of them is the folding knife.
    I found some online and they say they are folding knives but I just wanted to make sure they were legal. The law says the blade can't be over 5 1/2 inches.

Columbia River Knife and Tool's 6470 Pazoda 2 Razor Edge Knife:Amazon:Home Improvement

MTECH XTREME USA MX-8027A TACTICAL FOLDING KNIFE 5" CLOSED:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

MTECH USA MT-343S Tactical Folding Knife 4-Inch Closed:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

I'm only looking for cheap ones since I don't want to use up too much money right now.
    Don't make things more complicated than they need to be, boss... if the blade folds into the handle, it's a folding knife. The best and most common way to measure a knife blade is from the tip to the grip when open. Only extraordinarily large folders would exceed a 5" blade limit.
    Hakkaa päälle!

...there's much more to consider...if you know Texas knife law...it IS complicated...
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Don't make things more complicated than they need to be, boss... if the blade folds into the handle, it's a folding knife. The best and most common way to measure a knife blade is from the tip to the grip when open. Only extraordinarily large folders would exceed a 5" blade limit.
    64zebra likes this.

Long blades automatics and daggers are no go for Texas. These are perfectly acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...not unilaterally true...in San Antonio, for example, they'd all land him in jail...

Sec. 21-17. Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Long blades automatics and daggers are no go for Texas. These are perfectly acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm talking about Houston. I checked the houston laws and all it added to the knife laws was that I can't be around property that is in possession of the city.

Also is there a certain age where I can hold a knife?

To clarify, these laws are specifically regarding carrying, right? Not just ownership?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

...NOW you tell us you're "talking about Houston"...

..."hold a knife?" I'd say whenever your Mommy and Daddy say it's OK...

...are you playing or trying to get some help???
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePotato View Post
    I'm talking about Houston. I checked the houston laws and all it added to the knife laws was that I can't be around property that is in possession of the city.

Also is there a certain age where I can hold a knife?
    dukalmighty likes this.

AFAIK there is no age requirement,but don't get caught carrying it to kindergarten for show and tell,or you'll lose finger painting privileges for a week
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    AFAIK there is no age requirement,but don't get caught carrying it to kindergarten for show and tell,or you'll lose finger painting privileges for a week

Ill make sure to keep it in my lunchbox.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...there's much more to consider...if you know Texas knife law...it IS complicated...
    Yep, I see that, I'm just saying that while you can parse the meaning of "Arkansas toothpick" or "Bowie knife" a whole lot, a folding knife is just that.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Houston... we have a problem!!

...for sure...we need to get enough backing to pass a pre-emptive law on knives and blow all the little quirks out of the laws...and clearly define things like dagger, dirk, stiletto, Bowie knife...let a fella know where he stands...

...better yet...wipe out all the prohibitions and start legislating the ACTIONS of folks what misuse 'em!!! now THERE'S a novel idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Yep, I see that, I'm just saying that while you can parse the meaning of "Arkansas toothpick" or "Bowie knife" a whole lot, a folding knife is just that.
    tdave likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links