Any firefighters out there?

This is a discussion on Any firefighters out there? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My stepson is a New York City fireman. I know Christmas is a far way off, but I was thinking about getting him a really ...

Distinguished Member

My stepson is a New York City fireman. I know Christmas is a far way off, but I was thinking about getting him a really nice knife that would be appropriate for him to carry on the job. He's also an avid fisherman. Don't know if there are double duty knives, but I am open to all suggestions. Anything more exotic than my Swiss Army knife and I'm lost. I know knives can be expensive so I'm thinking maybe in the $150 - $200 range, if that's reasonable. Thanks for your time...
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

I am a wildland fire fighter in California and an avid fisherman and the one knife I use for both is my benchmade. The best knife I have ever owned but for a multitool I have a leatherman wave

If you aren't completely committed to a knife perhaps a call to his shift members could get you some insight on something he really wants/needs for work - not to say a knife isn't what he wants/needs.

When we get probies out of the academy I make a point to tell their family members on their first station visit to give me a call if they need FD related gift ideas for him.

It has worked well for me.

Truth be told I am at my station now and I do have a Benchmade Griptillian on my belt. A Leatherman is always with me as well.

Best
    Harold

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member
    Thank you for your input. Both of you recommend Benchmade, that should tell me something. I will look into that brand. My stepson has been on the job since 11/2001. He was in the first graduating class after the horrible loss of 9/11. He loves to talk, but he never talks about the job.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Links