Best Karambit?

Best Karambit?

This is a discussion on Best Karambit? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to get a karambit. Does anyone have any recommendations?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Best Karambit?

Question Best Karambit?

Looking to get a karambit. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Do you want folding or fixed blade? Lots of options out there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by squid86 View Post
    Do you want folding or fixed blade? Lots of options out there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    Good question.

Why not one of each? A fixed blade that's double edged, and then another one that's a folder. Thanks for the advice.

Got a recommendation for both kinds?

If price is no matter.

I would say Emerson and never look back.

If it is, there is always other options. 511 and Foxx to name a couple.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drgnfly View Post
    If price is no matter.

I would say Emerson and never look back.

If it is, there is always other options. 511 and Foxx to name a couple.
    Which Emerson models? Also, do they have a double edged fixed blade model?

KARAMBIT MODELS Archives | Emerson Knives Inc.Emerson Knives Inc.

Double edge is useless IMHO.

They do carry folder and fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drgnfly View Post
    KARAMBIT MODELS Archives | Emerson Knives Inc.Emerson Knives Inc.

Double edge is useless IMHO.

They do carry folder and fixed.
    Combat Karambit | Emerson Knives Inc.Emerson Knives Inc.

I think I'm going to purchase that one. Is it a good choice? If so, should I get black or stone washed?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I don't really see the appeal of these knives. They look scary, but honestly, they also look pretty useless for an EDC knife. I'd rather just carry a drop point or tanto blade, plain edge no serration, made of high end steel.
    QKShooter and Aceoky like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I don't really see the appeal of these knives. They look scary, but honestly, they also look pretty useless for an EDC knife. I'd rather just carry a drop point or tanto blade, plain edge no serration, made of high end steel.
    Are you for real? Check this video out

He does it really fast at the beginning, but the Emerson wave feature allows you to open the blade really quickly. Plus, if you twirl it around like and gash yourself in the wrist like a *******...you get a scar. Chicks dig scars. lol
    47Gabe likes this.

Administrator
    A karambit is only useful if you can take a savvy and experienced knife fighting opponent completely by surprise.

If somebody pulls a karambit on me I instantly know that their only fighting option is to attempt slashing cuts.

That blade configuration makes it damn easy for me to know exactly what you must do with that knife before you do it....because you have no other choice.

And depending on how the handle is "in hand" AKA the blade position I can know exactly what type of slash you're most likely to attempt.

Just a random but relevant thought for you to ponder on.
    Aceoky, OD*, BadgerJ and 1 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Emerson if you can get your hands on one!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I don't really see the appeal of these knives.

If you don't train in the martial arts, then the kerambit won't make much sense. You can use the kerambit any way you like. Overhand, underhand, whatever you want. As you can see in this picture, it really wants to be underhand, with your index finger through the ring. Get a good grip on it, you can ground fight, thrash around, and whoever is on top of or under you will have a bad day.

Compare with a Buck knife. Or a Bowie. Those are good blades and quite serviceable. In hard combat, there is a chance they'll twist out of your grip. Probably not. But if you hit denim, a button, a belt buckle, in all the excitement and churning around, you never know what's going to happen.

You have that kerambit gripped with the blade underhand, index finger in the ring, it's not going to get removed from you. You just rock and roll, keeping it close to your body and buck and lurch and jab and I don't know what a bad guy is going to do but he'll probably figure out that doing something else is a good idea.

There are many knife options. Switchblades, neck knives, belt knives, push daggers, tanto blades (Recon Tanto - Cold Steel Knives) and you won't go wrong if you get a quality blade and train hard with a rubber knife and partner who will attack you hard. I almost died when my uke slammed a wooden tanto right into my temple. My bad. But train that way.

The kerambit is quite arguably the most lethal blade for close quarters combat imaginable. If you're working in elbows, knees, tight distance areas, this blade will not fail. Slash across, reverse, slash back, grind up, grind down. You will not be disarmed.
    BIGSKYSTX and CIBMike like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    If you don't train in the martial arts, then the kerambit won't make much sense.
    I second this. The kerambit requires a specialized way of fighting. Most untrained people would be better off with some other weapon, like a pepper spray.

If you are training in some sort of southeast Asian art already, your instructor should be able to help you find the right style of kerambit for the fighting method you're learning. If you have to ask on the internet, I wonder...

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    Are you for real?
    I am for real, yes. Have you had any extensive knife combat training? You don't hold a knife reversed in a fight. It's the best way to get quickly disarmed by your adversary. I can open nearly any decent folding knife about as quickly as that. My Benchmade auto-presidio opens extremely quickly with the touch of the AXIS switch from either side of the grip. Knives are about the worst weapon you could choose for self defense. Difficult to master, high risk of getting it taken away, or getting yourself killed. You'd be better off with a can of OC on a keychain, or even a baton. A knife is meant to be a tool for day to day jobs. Heck, many states even outlaw knives over 2" in blade length. I own plenty of knives. I even own (real) combat knives, but unless I was being deployed to a situation where I was wearing body armor and carrying serious firepower, I don't see a reason to carry such a knife. Even then, it's more of a last resort weapon for extreme CQB, or meant as an offensive weapon to silently dispatch a sentry, for example.
    QKShooter, 47Gabe and Recon1342 like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I like karambits & have witnessed (Malaysia) well-skilled practitioners do things with them that are (IMHO) purely impossible with more "conventional" blade designs. Emerson makes a fine product, Foxx (Italy) is also well regarded. Beware of cheap, but very convincing, clones of both these brands. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted (available commercially) so I'm in-process converting a modified Topps California Cobra into a karambit. I'm looking for a return package from my finish provider any day now. I asked for a flesh-toned Cerakote so the small blade will be quite difficult to spot in my hand. It'll just be a very sharp, very quick "surprise". Karambits are NOT "fighting knives" but defensive tools. I'll post a photo upon completion if you're interested. My best advice, get qualified training. If not, you're gonna' waste some money, some blood & have a healthy dose of false security. These are NOT learn-as-you-go tools & following along with a YouTube video means... stitches.
    CIBMike likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links