Have any of you had OC spray go off in your pants? How to clean?

This is a discussion on Have any of you had OC spray go off in your pants? How to clean? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a bottle of Sabre Red pepper spray in my small jeans pocket go off on me. I think the nozzle got unlocked (rotated ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Have any of you had OC spray go off in your pants? How to clean?

I had a bottle of Sabre Red pepper spray in my small jeans pocket go off on me. I think the nozzle got unlocked (rotated enough to push down) from being in there and somehow it got pressed against my belt.

In any event, what should I do to clean it?

By the weight of the bottle compared to my other ones I unloaded a good bit - it soaked the whole pocket area.

Cool

Well if you didn't get any irritation in the area that got wet then your ahead of the game and just washing your clothes the usual way will do just fine.

When we trained and got sprayed for certification it was never a problem for clothes cleanup. You may need to spot the area with a cleaner like Shout if there is dye added to the spray.

I would suggest a different type of dispenser with a more secure top then the turn top safety.

photo.jpgASP OC Street Defender/Kuboton key ring, Mk VI and Mk III flip top dispensers.
    click image to enlarge.....

Hope that helps.

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    I had a bottle of Sabre Red pepper spray in my small jeans pocket go off on me. I think the nozzle got unlocked (rotated enough to push down) from being in there and somehow it got pressed against my belt.

By the weight of the bottle compared to my other ones I unloaded a good bit - it soaked the whole pocket area.
    Just launder as usual..if you want to be safe wash them by themselves. Use a good laundry detergent though, in my past experiences cheap laundry soap does not work well.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Just to be safe I'd go to a laundry mat and wash them separately with some real good laundry soap. If you use Tide I would put a measured amount in a Ziplock bag. For some reason Tide is like gold to thieves these days. Grocery stores actually lock up Tide to prevent it walking out of the stores on it's own.
    farsidefan1 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

...define "it", please...

...if you mean your jeans, a good, strong detergent like Fab or Tide...maybe a presoak...and hot water...
    ...if you mean the spray device...the same and rinse...
    ...if you meant anything else...forgive the snickers and hope it never happens again...it's gotta feel somewhat like overfilling a Zippo lighter and putting it in your pocket...you'll heal eventually...

Chaplain Scott, tdave and PEF like this.

It = OC soak.

I will try the pre-soak first and see if I can work most of it out, then run through the wash like normal. Thanks for the info.

On a side note....

I didn't notice the soak right away, I'm not real sure when it happened. Didn't smell, didn't sting (it went all the way through to skin), etc. I would have expected to get some irritation from it. Maybe I got a bad batch.. Again, it is Sabre Red (the small bottles, bare, no enclosure).

BTDT, a couple of washes will do the trick. Mine was Fox labs, not only does it burn it stinks too. That was a rough day. I wear it on my belt now.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    just wash it as usual in the washer by it self, set it on high water level.

get the flip top, they are faster to deploy and more secure.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Throw the bottle away and try again. If it didn't burn your skin it isn't going to burn the bad guy either.

That said, I have been covered in the stuff before. First thing you do is give your wife a big hug and rub it on her. While she's yelling at you and sneezing you throw the stuff in the washing machine then run naked around the house. When she says something about you being naked tell her you're just trying to spare her from the horrible OC spray she was complaining about. Chase her around the house for a while. When you get bored get dressed and go put your soiled clothes in the dryer.
    FlaRon and F350_6 like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I am a big fan of an old product called "LESTOIL" Amazon has it, but i prefer the large bottle that is at Home Depot Seems Home Depot is the only carrier I can find it at. It is great as a general cleaner but for Clothing Stains (Carpet too), I give it 5 stars. It is the "ELVIS" of stain removers.

Admit it. You were playin with itand it went off. You can go blind like that. :D

Idiocracy is upon us.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I gave the pants a nice hour and a half or more hot soak with detergent, then ran the washer agitator. After that run I threw in the rest of my jeans for another round. The stain is still there, though faded. I'll let it go and see what happens over time.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Better than your firearm. Still kind of makes you wonder.

If it didn't burn you up, then its not worth a dime. Better get another brand, like the LE Defense Technology MK 4 series.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Or one of the FOX products.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links