Looking for a auto knife reccomendation

This is a discussion on Looking for a auto knife reccomendation within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple months ago auto knives were legalized in Indiana. I have been considering picking one up recently. My issue is that the ones that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Looking for a auto knife reccomendation

A couple months ago auto knives were legalized in Indiana. I have been considering picking one up recently. My issue is that the ones that I have handled at the local shop seem to be pretty bulky. Not only are they fairly heavy, they seem to be REALLY thick. I currently EDC a Spyderco Endura 4 and I am very happy with it. I have had it for about 4 years and it has held up incredibly well and has served me well but know that they are legal I find myself wanting a auto. What do you recommend? I would like something with a 3-3.5 inch blade, as light as possible and as thin as possible. The knife also must be able to take a beating. I have thrashed my Endura pretty well over the past 4 years. Not paying a arm and a leg would be a nice bonus but I realize that autos tend to be a bit pricey. What do you recommended?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    The reason auto-knives are bulky and heavy is because they need a reliable mechanism between the scales to operate. You are not going to find a fully auto knife the size and weight of the Endura. Benchmade has some very good auto-knives. Use the knife wizard on their website, and look at the offerings in the "auto-axis" mechanism drop down.
    Now, if all you want is an opening assist/spring assist kknife, you can find those to be a bit lighter and thinner, and BM has assist knives as well. What will make the knife expensive is good steel, which I can't recommend enough. Something in 154CM, S30V, VG-10, CTS XHP or similar (super steels) would be ideal. There are plenty of other factors to consider as well, such as the type of opening and locking mechanisms used, the type of blade grind (full flat? hollow? convex hollow?) and the heat treatment of those steels, their hardness (HRC) toughness, ability to take and hold an edge, and so forth.. There is a lot to picking a good knife. You chose well with the Endura. Heck, I have a Benchmade 5000 auto knife, and I find myself carrying my Spyderco Para-Military 2 more often because it's lighter, the steel is S30V, it's thinner in my pocket, and it opens nearly as fast as the auto-knife.
    stylus and Land_Shark like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sponsor
    Good advise from GlassWolf.

Just an added note. Don't get sucked into the OTF crap. They're cool to look at. Very sexy actually but virtually worthless as a tool.

Now, I'm what would be called a FanBoy of Benchmade. Their Axis lock system is top notch and their Autos do not disappoint but again, beware the Infidel!

Benchmade's Impel Auto is smaller than you asked for but an extremely light yet fairly durable little knife.

The Benchmade Adamas Auto my be exactly what you are looking for. The Axis Auto is a bit different than a button lock but a better design IMHO.
    GlassWolf and Aceoky like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Benchmade makes a decent auto. I've owned a couple, but Microtech makes even better ones. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The thinnest and lightest quality ones are the Microtech OTF knives. All the side-openers made by Benchmade, Pro-tech, Piranha, Spyderco, Dalton, etc. are going to be bulkier and heavier. You won't find an auto knife lighter and handier than your Endura, really.

Plus side of the side openers is that they are usually about half the cost of a good OTF knife or less.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I have a auto Benchmade Presidio. I've had it for four or five years. I originally bought it for work, but got so use to it I have it on me all the time. I don't leave the house or the boat with out it. I use it all the time and it's kind of getting beat up. I don't think it's heavy. I hardly notice it inside my top coverall pocket, inside front pocket,or right side back pocket.

This knife is the only auto I have any experience with but since it has been around saltwater, mud, dirt, rain, dropped a bunch and opened a million times, I'll recommend it.

The serrated edges are nice for cutting rope but I just use the straight edge nowadays and keep it sharp.

Microtech, otf are the best otf out there, they are not tools, I carry a halo weak side back pocket last ditch device. Strider makes a good pocket knife (folder) for everyday use.

I have several Benchmade knives and have to say I haven't tried their Auto knives, but would not hesitate to recommend the brand..

Gary

Sponsor
    BTW, do not take my links as a suggestion to buy directly from Benchmade. You can always find a better price from one of many reputable dealers. I personally like to deal with Wesson Ace Hardware.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

A little shorter than what you were looking for, but I have this little guy and like it so far.
    Boker Mini Kalashnikov Automatic Knife Grey Handle (2.5" Black Serr) - Blade HQ
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Take a look at an OTF knife taken apart vs a side-folder. You'll notice that the side folder is much beefier where the blade joins the handle/scales/liners. The side folders will, my my experience, withstand a lot more abuse than an OTF knife will, and most OTF knives I've seen are double-edged, which I find beyond useless unless your only goal is stabbing things.
    Just my two cents on that one.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

For an automatic, the Benchmade Infadel is the best I've owned. Worth the price IMHO
    "I don't know what it's called... I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life"
    - Tropic Thunder

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Take a look at an OTF knife taken apart vs a side-folder. You'll notice that the side folder is much beefier where the blade joins the handle/scales/liners. The side folders will, my my experience, withstand a lot more abuse than an OTF knife will, and most OTF knives I've seen are double-edged, which I find beyond useless unless your only goal is stabbing things.
    Just my two cents on that one.
    This is true. Honestly I am not an auto knife fan, but don't buy any auto expecting it to have the durability of your Endura. The ones that come closest will be the Benchmade AXIS auto lock knives by virtue of the fact that even if the coil springs break you can still open it with the thumb stud and the locking device is not dependent on the same springs as the auto-open feature.
    GlassWolf likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

IMHO, a quality folder with an "Emerson Wave" is stronger, cheaper & faster-into-action than any auto brand/model that I've found. If you've got your heart set on an automatic, that suits me. But pretty is... as pretty does.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    This is true. Honestly I am not an auto knife fan, but don't buy any auto expecting it to have the durability of your Endura. The ones that come closest will be the Benchmade AXIS auto lock knives by virtue of the fact that even if the coil springs break you can still open it with the thumb stud and the locking device is not dependent on the same springs as the auto-open feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    IMHO, a quality folder with an "Emerson Wave" is stronger, cheaper & faster-into-action than any auto brand/model that I've found. If you've got your heart set on an automatic, that suits me. But pretty is... as pretty does.
    I agree. The only fully auto knife I have is a BM 5000 auto-presidio. I do have a spring assist or two that I use around the house. The thing about an auto knife isn't really that it's faster, but that it's easily manipulated when you're injured or incapacitated or pinned down, such as in a car accident, if you need to cut your way out of a seat belt to escape a vehicle. That's really the only valid use that comes to mind for one, generally speaking. You can open one even if your thumb or wrist is broken and you can only reach the knife with one hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links