Any custom kydex sheath makers?

This is a discussion on Any custom kydex sheath makers? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to make a simple sheath for concealed carry. Right side cross draw upside down with thumb-strap, also having two strap slots in the top ...

Thread: Any custom kydex sheath makers?

Any custom kydex sheath makers?

Looking to make a simple sheath for concealed carry. Right side cross draw upside down with thumb-strap, also having two strap slots in the top to connect to shoulder straps. One strap slot in bottom for belt strap.

Its for an CRKT ultima 7" or 5". I would make one myself but am finding it difficult to find materials. Any custom makers out there or resource links? Also is there any hollow rivets like the professional ones? The Merlin II sheath is on semi-permanent hold for 6 months.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

All Credit For (below) To Texas Knifemakers Supply

HINTS:

1. Be careful in laying out your pattern to make sure sheath is right or left-handed as required.
    2. Kydex can be shaped with a hair dryer, but a great deal of time is required to heat the Kydex. A heat gun is many times faster and therefore much easier to use. Care must be taken not to over heat.
    3. If Kydex is bent cold and turns white, heating with the heat gun will bring back the original color. The same thing applies to surface scratches.
    4. A large eyelet at the bottom of the two-piece sheaths can be used as the tie down.
    5. Be careful when heating the two-piece sheaths when forming around the blade so as not to distort the offset around the guard too much.
    6. Try to make your sheath just before the final buffing and sharpening of the blade and handle. This will avoid small scratches on the finished blade.

FORMING:

1. The heat forming of Kydex is a relatively simple process involving just a heat gun.
    2. The simplest of sheaths to produce is the two-piece sheath. The knife is traced on the Kydex, and allowance is left for the eyelets, belt loop (or loops) on the bottom sheet of Kydex.
    3. Be sure to form an offset in the top and bottom Kydex around the guard and handle so the Kydex forms smoother around the knife.
    4. Simple planning for the belt loop to determine if you wish the knife to ride high or low, and belt width, will determine how much you allow extra for the belt loop at the top.
    5. The top piece will contain the knife retainer, which will be the Kydex heated and wrapped around the knife guard or finger grooves to retain it.
    6. The knife is then inserted, and the top layer of Kydex is heated in the area of the blade to form the Kydex to the blade. Twisting the blade in the sheath when the Kydex is heated will slightly enlarge the opening allowing the blade to be inserted and retracted easily without marring its surface, especially when the blade is shot peened or coated.
    7. After cooling, reheat top surface near the edges and pinch together to close the gaps around the seam of the sheath. Heat the area to be used as the knife retainer around the guard to keep blade from coming out. Grind edges to final shape. Hand sanding may be required around the belt loop and the retainer edge to smooth edges for final touch up.
    8. One piece sheaths are similar to leather sheaths as far as layout of the material goes except the sheath comes up further, and no snap is used to hold in knife, the Kydex is formed around the guard or the lower part of the hand grip or finger groove.
    9. A little practice will show you how much to allow for the belt loop and how large the piece of Kydex must be to wrap around the knife. After heating the Kydex in the area of the bend, the Kydex is wrapped around the knife and formed as wanted. Install eyelets (make sure eyelet for belt loop is installed first as it may not be accessible after other eyelets are installed). Sand to shape. Form upper part of sheath around the guard or finger groove to retain knife in sheath.
    10. A little experimenting will uncover the best shape for the retaining area of the sheath. Knife should not hang up when you insert it into the sheath. You may have to heat and turn up the edges to obtain a smooth inserting and/or retraction.

here are a couple of good custom sheath makers:

Mike Sastre: www.rivercitysheaths.com

Robert Humelbaugh: www.survivalsheath.com

and this site has tons of knife-making supplies...they'll probably have whatever you might want
    http://www.texasknife.com/store/s-pa...frameStore.htm
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Lead Moderator
    I make em myself, but do not have a CRKT. A hair dryer will not get hot enough to work for sheath shaping . PM me for more info if you want to make your own.
    http://knifekits.com/store/s-pages/k...main.htm~smain
    P.S. ya don't need half of the tools they sell to make a sheath.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Kempo? Has Mike's delievery time gotten better? Last order my partner made took quite a while and contact was difficult. He almost shipped overseas without the knife and sheath but it did get in in time and was real nice.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

good info i have read about making the sheaths but need the kydex first. Any good places to buy kydex sheets(I cant seem to select anything on the linked site)? I will try the links to find hardware. Have jigsaw, sears heat gun, and dremel tool. Need to find loop pivots and a thumb break.

I have made a semi-plan of the layout. The plastic lining fro my CRKT is rather large and has two plastic rails that grip the spine. This is a really nice feature. Any ideas how to duplicate this?
    Last edited by Bryan; December 4th, 2006 at 12:52 AM.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

http://interstateplastics.reachlocal...=Kydex-Ca20011
    I found this site the other day, in addition to the www.knifekits.com site. I haven't ordered anything yet, still getting up my courage. I have the Knifekits DVD, a heat gun (much cheaper at the Home Depot) and even a little toaster oven...now, just time, Kydex, and courage. I'm just afraid my work will look like something I made, which ain't good.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Lead Moderator
    Knife kits has a whole kit for making a sheath. If you want the carbon fiber be prepared for a more difficult build , as it seems to resist heat better.
    Interstate plasics is ok too, but no rivets or other materials come with the order.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Kempo? Has Mike's delievery time gotten better? Last order my partner made took quite a while and contact was difficult. He almost shipped overseas without the knife and sheath but it did get in in time and was real nice.
    No idea, I haven't ordered anything from him in a long time
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Texas Knifemaker Supply is a good source for Kydex & how to work with it. They have different thicknesses available for sheath & belt clip applications. Also I had a "Jump-Certified" sheath built by Hendrix Designs for a custom combat knife I built for a friend. VERY happy with the results.

Ok so should I go with .06 or .08 thickness? I also need some pivots for strap attachment and the ever elusive thumb-break. I was thinking of leaving the bottom part flat and just molding the top part. Good idea or asking for trouble?

Lead Moderator
    .06 or .08 both would work. .06 might be a bit easier to work with. Molding just the front face is acceptable. You can either mold the knife shape in then adjust the tension by heating the back side or add a thumb break.
    Knife kits sells IWB loops that might work for the bottom strap.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

.06 is fine for the sheath front , .08 is better for the backing & the belt clip/loop. Make a fiberboard "mock-up" prototype of both the knife & the sheath. Put it on & WEAR it for an adventurious afternoon. You may look a little silly, but a few hours of wearing your idea can often highlight a previously unseen design problem (this is the Voice of Experience talkin')! I think Texas Knifemaker Supply also has a new instructional DVD on working Kydex. It only costs about three mistakes to PAY FOR IT.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post

Mike makes great sheaths. I have three of them. However, I won't be having anymore. I ordered my last one from him in mid June 2004. After about a dozen phone calls and e-mails, and one snail mail, I finally received it in mid November 2005.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    That was the exact problem we had when getting my partners sheath. Make it worse we'd give him the knife to make it off of. Great quality, just not so great customer service.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Links