Blade steel?

Blade steel?

This is a discussion on Blade steel? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What steel is used on the knife you have on you daily? Stainless or carbon tool steel? I carry carbon tool steel blades almost exclusively ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Blade steel?

Sponsor

Blade steel?

What steel is used on the knife you have on you daily?

Stainless or carbon tool steel?

I carry carbon tool steel blades almost exclusively and have for many years now. The carbon tool steel, when heat treated properly outperforms stainless steel by a good margin for edge retention, ease of resharpening, and not as prone to being brittle and chipping the edge out under hard use.
    QKShooter and GhostMaker like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    I agree with you regarding Carbon Steel.

The knife that I daily carry though is VG-10 which is Stainless. But, I picked the SOG Pentagon Elite II primarily due to the 5" Blade length.
    I have a keen ripping edge on it and I do not use it for mundane daily knife chores.
    I also pocket carry a really small vintage little Schrade folder that I use for opening boxes, cutting cord and rope, etc etc.
    That knife sports a thin Carbon steel blade and it handles all of those odd daily miscellaneous knife "cutting" tasks very well.
    Sometimes I wish that it was a bit larger and more robust but, I already carry so much other necessary crap around with me that I need to keep that secondary knife decently small and lightweight.

My knives over the past 10-12yrs have been the Spyderco Native and Delica. The Native is S30V stainless. It's fairly tough, fairly sharp, somewhat less durable than I'd prefer.

Have been looking at more-traditional carbon steel blades, including some of the tool steel ones.

AzQ: What specific steel do you have in your couple of daily knives, do you know? 1095, other?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    My knives over the past 10-12yrs have been the Spyderco Native and Delica. The Native is S30V stainless. It's fairly tough, fairly sharp, somewhat less durable than I'd prefer.

Have been looking at more-traditional carbon steel blades, including some of the tool steel ones.

AzQ: What specific steel do you have in your couple of daily knives, do you know? 1095, other?
    My daily sd knife is a 5.5" Rob Pattton custom I had him make me out of L6 tool steel. My Bagwell Bowies are 5160, and one of them gets swapped out for the Patton at times [ usually the cooler weather out here as the blades are no less than 10.5" long and carried IWB ].

I like 1095, A2, L6, D2, not in any specific order.

QKShooter,
    I carry a victorinox hiker in the pocket as my daily "chores" knife
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    My daily sd knife is a 5.5" Rob Pattton custom I had him make me out of L6 tool steel. My Bagwell Bowies are 5160, and one of them gets swapped out for the Patton at times [ usually the cooler weather out here as the blades are no less than 10.5" long and carried IWB ].

I like 1095, A2, L6, D2, not in any specific order.
    Sounds rough on the sharpening chore. If you're willing, I'd love to hear how you go about keeping those bad boys sharp and effective. I imagine "standard" sharpening tools wouldn't quite be up to the task, with tool steel (though, I don't know). Care to share?

I carry a spyderco with the h1 steel. I like to use my knife for food and what not sometimes so being able to just rinse it off with water and putting it back in my pocket with out having to worry about drying it off is nice.

Some interesting descriptions of various tool-grade blade steels:

Sponsor
    Sounds rough on the sharpening chore. If you're willing, I'd love to hear how you go about keeping those bad boys sharp and effective. I imagine "standard" sharpening tools wouldn't quite be up to the task, with tool steel (though, I don't know). Care to share?
    I've used the spydie sharpmaker for decades on all my blades. If the edge gets used for anything, it gets touched up that night. If the blade hasn't been used for a few weeks [ and the sd Patton and Bagwells don't get used ] I retouch the edge with the ceramics. Blades edges dull just sitting in sheaths.

That way, I don't lose the primary grind. Most people seem to wait too long to sharpen their blades, and if the primary grind is lost, one has to work with more effort and time putting it back. I prefer to touch the knives edges up and keep them scary sharp, at least the sd tools anyway. My hiker SAK gets sharpened before the primary grind is lost, but it doesn't get the loving care the sd blades do.

Hope that helps, tool steel, when heat treated properly isn't that hard to resharpen. If it is, the rockwell is probably higher than it has to be on the blade. Tool steels have a lower rockwell than s/s as a rule and do not need to be hardened as high to hold an acceptable edge.

The razor sharp kind of steel.... I have no idea what the blade of my griptilian is made of... the lettering wore of years ago. But it still takes and holds a shaving sharp edge easily.
    QKShooter likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Senior Moderator
    I like D2. I've made several 12" bladed Bowies over the years that I traded off for guns.

D2 with a good "zone" heat treat works for me.
    QKShooter likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've had many knives with many types of steel, but my "new" (past 18 months) favorite is 154CM. This is on two of my three Benchmade knives (the other has D2 - harder but could rust). The blades are extremely sharp and hold their edge for an incredibly long time. Its a winner in my book.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    What steel is used on the knife you have on you daily?

Stainless or carbon tool steel?

I carry carbon tool steel blades almost exclusively and have for many years now. The carbon tool steel, when heat treated properly outperforms stainless steel by a good margin for edge retention, ease of resharpening, and not as prone to being brittle and chipping the edge out under hard use.
    In my rotation I have the following:
    Victorinox Swiss Army Alox Pioneer (25+ years old, probably 440C)
    Benchmade 5000 Auto-Presidio (154CM)
    Benchmade 550HG Mini-Griptilian (S30V)
    Spyderco C81GP2 Para-Military 2 (S30V)
    Spyderco C11TIPD Delica4 Titanium/Damascus (VG-10)
    Spyderco C152TI Chaparral2 Titanium (CTS-XHP)
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

My daily sd knife is a 5.5" Rob Pattton custom I had him make me out of L6 tool steel.
    Rob Patton's got a folder, the Kestrel, though that one's listed as made in ATS-34. If you had one made of L6 by request, I wonder if he does folders as well, in L6. Hmmmm. Interesting.

Sponsor
    Rob Patton's got a folder, the Kestrel, though that one's listed as made in ATS-34. If you had one made of L6 by request, I wonder if he does folders as well, in L6. Hmmmm. Interesting.
    Robs not making knives presently, he may get back into it after he's settled into his new digs and gets his forge up and running in the next year

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    154CM is a very good stainless. It's the American-made version of ATS-34, and it's been around for quite a while now, although newer 154CM has much better quality than it originally did, which was why ATS-34 was much more popular in the 90s. That said, while I do appreciate the benefits of carbon steels, there are some new "super steels" that are stainless, and of equal or very similar quality to the good carbon steels. CTS-XHP being one example.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links