Prison weapons, with pics.

This is a discussion on Prison weapons, with pics. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got some decent pictures in the training room of the local prison today. This is a good example of why prohibiting things and controlling ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Prison weapons, with pics.

I got some decent pictures in the training room of the local prison today. This is a good example of why prohibiting things and controlling objects can't work. I find this kind of fascinating and I have already made two home made shanks myself.
    Attached Images
    Gav1230 and CIBMike like this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Those are fancy! My favorite is the giant license plate cum meat cleaver with the Kentucky chrome handle (where are they getting all the duct tape to make their "scales"?). I'd like to see where the con tried too hide that!

In my youth I worked on a roofing gang, and most of them were convicts who did time for serious crimes. They told all sorts of stories (some of them may have been true), and could make all sorts of things out of junk and trash. At lunch break one day a guy showed me how he could make a makeshift syringe with a cigarette cellophane. Those summers were an interesting education. Later when the going got tough all I had to do was think about a pitch tear off on a 110 degree roof in the St. Louis Summer and any thought of quitting fled like the dark from dawn.

Ya ain't right Superhouse 15. What do you need to make shanks for? Grins?
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    It's a dangerous world. Almost anything you can pick up can be a dangerous weapon if you know how to use it and have the determination to do so.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

So.......prison isn't really a rehab ordeal? More of a learning ordeal I take it. Sweet!

They should make weapons illegal in prison. People are there to be rehabilitated not hurt one another!
    Jaeger, Tzadik and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    Not going to lie...those scare the snot out of me. Just looking at that board of pain is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow and out of jail/prison. Yikes!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Especially when they are doing life " Nothing to lose" thing about that

Everybody gots to have a hobby I reckon
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by SHCOPY44 View Post
    Especially when they are doing life " Nothing to lose" thing about that
    My fire station covers this prison and we have had our share of injuries and fatalities, including an officer. (by the way, they are not "prison guards" any more than I am an "ambulance driver" or a "hose dragger") . I recall one time where the (civilian) librarian told a guy doing 60 years plus that he couldnt check out a book. The inmate cut him, badly, and almost killed him. I could tell stories all night.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

The 'voodoo" doll - lower right in photo 3 has me curious... is this a non-contact, metaphysical weapon?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Here is a toolbox with a pivoting false bottom and a hollow shoe brush. They also have a hollowed out toilet that had a cell phone in it but I was too horrified to get a pic...
    Attached Images

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The 'voodoo" doll - lower right in photo 3 has me curious... is this a non-contact, metaphysical weapon?

That is Fifi, someone to.....cuddle... on those lonely prison nights.

My favorites are the brass knuckles that look like a sand casting. Some of the shanks are made of glass. The highlighter was made with an exacto knife or scalpel. The trustee inmates still do work on the gun range next door to the prison, so the zip gun is particularly scary. The lock and sock lacks imagination IMO.

My first was made from a steel cup holder, bent into an icepick/punch knife. My handle was plastic bags woven around a T handle and melted. I used a Dremel to sharpen it, to simulate a year of rubbing it on the walls of my cell, but except for that everything was made using only what an inmate had access to.

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I once found a baseball bat made from tightly wound news paper. It was glued together with tooth paste! And was hard as the realthing! The baseball was made from saran wrap from thier sanwiches. It too was heavy and hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I got some decent pictures in the training room of the local prison today. This is a good example of why prohibiting things and controlling objects can't work.
    That pretty much says it all. If it can't be kept from being made/imported in a prison, for crying out loud, it's beyond me how any thinking person actually believes there's any utility in attempting to execute prohibition in an open society. Can't work, for all the obvious reasons.

Which leaves us with ... wait for it ... BEHAVIORS. Regulation of violent and felonious behaviors is about all we can deal with, possibly ratcheted up in intensity of penalties in cases where outright weaponry or threat of violence exists (but easily handled via the statutes in distinguishing between crime X and Y, not mere possession or ownership).

Yup. Pretty simple. Merely owning or having a Ford in the driveway does not a felon make. Using it to mow down a crosswalk full of nuns, though, ...
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I recently took a tour of and did the "ghost hunt" at the old Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield, Ohio. They also had a lot of weapons that inmates had made over the years. Just walking through that place made me think of the old tv show Barettas theme song..."Don't do the crime...if you can't do the time."
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links