Carrying OC spray w/ CCW

Carrying OC spray w/ CCW

This is a discussion on Carrying OC spray w/ CCW within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey y'all. I've been watching the news recently, and it seems now that in this day in age, if one shoots an attacker the lawyer's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Carrying OC spray w/ CCW

Carrying OC spray w/ CCW

Hey y'all.
    I've been watching the news recently, and it seems now that in this day in age, if one shoots an attacker the lawyer's fees, red tape etc is a hassle. Obviously my life is worth that, but would carrying OC/Pepper spray kind of be a CYA in court, due to the fact that you obviously made a conscious event to have a form of non lethal self defense first? Anyone know the legalities of non-LEO's carrying it? Permits? etc. Thanks,
    -Linny
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

I don't do it for how it would look in court, I do it because you're far more likely to have an incident that requires less than lethal force and if you only have a hammer then every problem is a nail.

You have to check your state and local laws on the legality of carrying pepper spray and if they have limits on percentages and quantity of spray.
    FlaRon likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

After watching the games that get played in court, it seems it would open up more questions... if I believe I need to go directly to the gun, it would be questioned why I didn't try using the spray first, etc.

If Zimmerman had been carrying spray, would it have helped him? Should he have used spray instead of the gun? Someone beating my head against the sidewalk, I'm going directly to lethal force.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Ah that is true, well what about maybe rubber bullets as like the first 5 rounds in a CCW?
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverGP View Post
    After watching the games that get played in court, it seems it would open up more questions... if I believe I need to go directly to the gun, it would be questioned why I didn't try using the spray first, etc.

If Zimmerman had been carrying spray, would it have helped him? Should he have used spray instead of the gun? Someone beating my head against the sidewalk, I'm going directly to lethal force.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Ah that is true, well what about maybe rubber bullets as like the first 5 rounds in a CCW?
    Bad idea. If you need your gun, you will need those first rounds to be as potent as possible, as soon as possible. If you want a non-lethal option just carry OC.

Don't over-think this stuff. I carry a light, knife and OC simply because I am far more likely to need them than I will my handgun. It just gives you options.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    "A carpenter that only carriers a hammer can only pound a nail"

If all you carry is a gun, every problem that presents itself is a nail!

If somebody comes up and punches me in the face, I can use force to repel the attack, but lethal may not be a appropriate, however, getting a faceful of OC maybe appropriate.
    FlaRon likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I dont carry OC. One reason is that if im to that point at my age im likely in a LF spot. Assuming it ever goes to court, i dont need a prosecutor trying to make a case I should have used OC when I really needed the firearm.

As has been said if all i have is a hammer every problem worth fixing is a nail.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by DenverGP View Post

And your lawyer, if he was good, would go "Yes, my client had pepper spray. That proves he isn't some blood-thirst gun nut, that he actually wanted to do all he could to avoid using his handgun. The fact that he used his firearm to protect his life meant that he knew pepper spray would not have sufficed."

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Linny, I have a small canister of FOX spray on my keychain, because getting in and out of the car is when we are the most vulnerable. I can't always have my pistol in hand, but I will have my keys out anyway. You never know when some 17 year old Trayvon is going to roll up on you. A non-lethal option removes any hesitation or the possibility of being charged with brandishing. "Why did you pull a gun on my baby? He was just asking for change" Pepper spray on they keychain could have saved this old man from being shot and killed.

If all the baker has is a oven, every problem gets baked!

I thought I'd be the first to step away from the carpenter references.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    It's good to have options.

You can use chemical agents to protect yourself in situations where the use of deadly force would be unlawful.

Jim

I recently bought keyring sized UDAP pepper spray for wife and myself.
    Thinking all this through, I'd rather spray somebody than put one or more .44cal holes in them.
    The pepper spray may not solve the situation after all, but it seems to be a buffer zone that may reduce or eliminate the necessity for high speed 200gr HP.
    I hope so. I really don't want to put holes in anyone if I can avoid it.
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

It is always good to have a escalation of force option if you can. Some situation call for force but not deadly , so stun guns and pepper spray can be great and you could even say look I sprayed the guy and he keep coming so I had to use lethal force etc he had a chance to back down ....

And yeah again check state laws on what is legal and not . Also note some people are not effect by spray at all , either they are use to it or a immune to it etc.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    If you carry lethal and non-lethal self-defense you are left to wonder.

If I choose non-lethal and it doesn't stop the threat, they I'm dead.

If I choose lethal and it does stop the threat, will I be prosecuted by the DA, or indited by a grand jury of antis for the use of excessive force when I had the option of a non-lethal.

LEO's have alternatives to deadly force, but they are not defending themselves, they are pursuing criminals, they also usually have the force of numbers when they attempt to make an arrest. I carry solely for self-defense of myself and family, no other reason. You may only get one chance, and I am going with the best option to stop the threat.

I will not put myself in this position, I will carry only one level of force, so I don't have to second guess the choice (when you only have seconds) or be judged by those not there of my choice between lethal and non-lethal.
    BadgerJ likes this.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldranger53 View Post
    I recently bought keyring sized UDAP pepper spray for wife and myself.
    Thinking all this through, I'd rather spray somebody than put one or more .44cal holes in them.
    The pepper spray may not solve the situation after all, but it seems to be a buffer zone that may reduce or eliminate the necessity for high speed 200gr HP.
    I hope so. I really don't want to put holes in anyone if I can avoid it.
    And if the pepper spray doesn't work, you may have used up your only window of opportunity to stop the threat. Stuff happens real fast.

You will see cops use non-lethal force, but pay attention, they have backup ready to deploy lethal force, you and I don't.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links