What is the legality of carrying a baton on school grounds in Iowa?

This is a discussion on What is the legality of carrying a baton on school grounds in Iowa? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a college student and thus I can't even carry pepper spray or tazors. I'm just curious as to the legality of carrying a retractable ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What is the legality of carrying a baton on school grounds in Iowa?

What is the legality of carrying a baton on school grounds in Iowa?

I'm a college student and thus I can't even carry pepper spray or tazors. I'm just curious as to the legality of carrying a retractable baton in your bag in Iowa so if I buy one, I don't get charged with a felony or something. Any, help would be appreciated! Thanks guys.

Edit: I know they have alternative uses such as breaking a window to rescue someone trapped in a car or something so I'm not sure under Iowa law whether or not it's even considered a weapon or just a tool...since I think Iowa law defines a weapon as something that is only used for causing harm or damage. My next alternative was going to be a ball-peen hammer.

2. Remove Ads

Why, girls have done it for generations! A bit old fashioned perhaps, but lets keep the tradition alive, I say.
    Oldpsufan likes this.

I'd be more concerned about your college campus "weapon regulations" than about Iowa (state wide) weapon laws. School regulations are usually more restrictive. Iowa law says you can carry a retractable concealed if you have a CCL. If not, you can open carry one on your belt. Easiest solution in all locations? A cane.
    Aceoky likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Why, girls have done it for generations! A bit old fashioned perhaps, but lets keep the tradition alive, I say.
    because in Iowa, carrying non-lethals such as tazors and pepper spray, carries the same penalty as bringing a handgun on to campus, AKA a felony. I value my rights, and don't want to chance dropping the soap.
    Aceoky likes this.

Here's Iowa State's regulation. Student Disciplinary Regulations (Code of Conduct) | Policy Library

4.2.14 Possession or Misuse of Weapons

Possession of weapons, unless authorized by the university, is a violation.

A weapon is any instrument or device designed primarily for use in inflicting death or injury upon a human being or animal, and which is capable of inflicting death or injury when used in the manner for which it was designed. Additionally, any instrument or device of any sort whatsoever which is actually used in such a manner as to indicate that the possessor intends to inflict death or injury upon another, and which, when so used, is capable of inflicting death or injury upon another, is a weapon.
    Weapons include any pistol, revolver, shotgun, machine gun, rifle or other firearm, BB or pellet gun, tazer or stun-gun, bomb, grenade, mine or other explosive or incendiary device, ammunition, archery equipment, dagger, stiletto, switchblade knife, or knife having a blade exceeding five inches in length. Residents of university housing may possess knives having a blade exceeding five inches for cooking purposes.
    A "weapon" also means an object that is not an instrument capable of inflicting death or injury but closely resembles such an instrument (for example, a realistic toy, replica, imitation weapon or look-a-like gun that is reasonably capable of being mistaken for a real weapon) or the student used the object in a manner that created the impression that the object was such an instrument (for example, wrapping a hand in a towel to create the appearance of a gun).

Here's Iowa's rules. It's got to be in there somewhere. Operations Manual Index - The University of Iowa

UNI - Policies and Procedures | University of Northern Iowa

----------------

State Law is vague about "dangerous weapons". That could be just about anything, and poorly written laws.
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/iowa.pdf

"681-9.1(2)(g), 681.13.14(5) & 681-13.19(262) of the Iowa Administrative Code:
    State Universities. Prohibits use or possession of firearms, ammunition, or other dangerous weapons,
    substances, or materials (except as expressly authorized by the university), or of bombs, explosives, or
    explosive or incendiary devices prohibited by law on the campus of the three state universities (U of I, Iowa
    State, UNI) or at or during any university-authorized function or event by any person, student, member of the
    faculty or staff."]681-9.1(2)(g), 681.13.14(5) & 681-13.19(262) of the Iowa Administrative Code:
    State Universities. Prohibits use or possession of firearms, ammunition, or other dangerous weapons,
    substances, or materials (except as expressly authorized by the university), or of bombs, explosives, or
    explosive or incendiary devices prohibited by law on the campus of the three state universities (U of I, Iowa
    State, UNI) or at or during any university-authorized function or event by any person, student, member of the
    faculty or staff.

You could go to the Iowa Code and read the rules from the above acts. http://search.legis.state.ia.us/nxt/...fn=default.htm

681-9.1(2)g.Use or possession on the campus or at or during any university-authorized function or event of firearms, ammunition, or other dangerous weapons, substances, or materials (except as expressly authorized by the university), or of bombs, explosives, or explosive or incendiary devices prohibited by law.

681-12.1 is the start of U. of IA rules
    681-13.1 is the start of ISU rules
    681-14.1 is the start of UNI rules

If all else fails, you could get a kubotan key chain, big pointy umbrella, cane, etc. Better than nothing. Maybe even a knife under 3" long? That might be pushing the "rules" though. The vague "other dangerous weapons" in all the Iowa state & university codes is really a disservice to everyone. It'll be up to you whether the concealed baton is worth the risk.
    Aceoky and Hopyard like this.

I was making a joke. The heading asked about carrying batons on campus. You know, the old drum majorettes, and their baton twirls?

Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    because in Iowa, carrying non-lethals such as tazors and pepper spray, carries the same penalty as bringing a handgun on to campus, AKA a felony. I value my rights, and don't want to chance dropping the soap.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I was making a joke. The heading asked about carrying batons on campus. You know, the old drum majorettes, and their baton twirls?
    Lol, gotcha. Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
    Here's Iowa State's regulation. Student Disciplinary Regulations (Code of Conduct) | Policy Library

4.2.14 Possession or Misuse of Weapons

Possession of weapons, unless authorized by the university, is a violation.

A weapon is any instrument or device designed primarily for use in inflicting death or injury upon a human being or animal, and which is capable of inflicting death or injury when used in the manner for which it was designed. Additionally, any instrument or device of any sort whatsoever which is actually used in such a manner as to indicate that the possessor intends to inflict death or injury upon another, and which, when so used, is capable of inflicting death or injury upon another, is a weapon.
    Weapons include any pistol, revolver, shotgun, machine gun, rifle or other firearm, BB or pellet gun, tazer or stun-gun, bomb, grenade, mine or other explosive or incendiary device, ammunition, archery equipment, dagger, stiletto, switchblade knife, or knife having a blade exceeding five inches in length. Residents of university housing may possess knives having a blade exceeding five inches for cooking purposes.
    A "weapon" also means an object that is not an instrument capable of inflicting death or injury but closely resembles such an instrument (for example, a realistic toy, replica, imitation weapon or look-a-like gun that is reasonably capable of being mistaken for a real weapon) or the student used the object in a manner that created the impression that the object was such an instrument (for example, wrapping a hand in a towel to create the appearance of a gun).

Here's Iowa's rules. It's got to be in there somewhere. Operations Manual Index - The University of Iowa

UNI - Policies and Procedures | University of Northern Iowa

----------------

State Law is vague about "dangerous weapons". That could be just about anything, and poorly written laws.
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/iowa.pdf

"681-9.1(2)(g), 681.13.14(5) & 681-13.19(262) of the Iowa Administrative Code:
    faculty or staff."]681-9.1(2)(g), 681.13.14(5) & 681-13.19(262) of the Iowa Administrative Code:
    faculty or staff.

You could go to the Iowa Code and read the rules from the above acts. Iowa Legislature - Advanced Search
    Thanks for the reply, been googling for the last 30 mins. So, could I then skirt the loophole regarding the definition of a weapon?

A weapon is any instrument or device designed primarily for use in inflicting death or injury upon a human being or animal, and which is capable of inflicting death or injury when used in the manner for which it was designed.

Retractable batons were also designed to break through car windows and pry open doors. Sounds like a legal loophole to me. Am I safe from a felony if I carry it in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    Retractable batons were also design to break through car windows and pry open doors. Sounds like a legal loophole to me. Am I safe from a felony if I carry it in your opinion?
    Serious answer: No. The reality is that you have already lost if you have to get to the point of arguing your "legal loophole" theory. Lawyers are not cheap.

Even if you avoided conviction, should you ever be charged, you come out on the losing end of this one, in my opinion, and I do this for a living.
    Hopyard and Aceoky like this.

NO...I'm not a lawyer, so I can't guarantee that at all. Sometimes the benefit is worth the risks, that's something you're going to have to decide if you are willing to take that risk.

Am I safe from a felony if I carry it in your opinion?
    Sure! (But my opinion is worth exactly what it cost you.) IMHO, don't bet on "legal loopholes" saving your bacon if you're forced to defend yourself. If I were on the Grand Jury, your defense attorney would be hard-pressed to convince me that a retractable baton isn't primarily designed to inflict injury. Maybe a small commercial/industrial squirt bottle filled with lemon juice and a long 7/8" Craftsman combo wrench? It's easy to establish that neither is primarily designed to inflict injury, yet they can certainly deter an assault without legal restriction.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

A friend of mine was telling a room full of lawyers about a case he had. They charged his client with ag assault.

The weapon being a set of handcuffs. One of the cuffs was attached to his client, the other dangling free, when he tore into the police. He was laughing saying how he should have taken that case to the jury.

None of the rest of us laughed. He started noticing the looks on our faces, and asked if we disagreed with him. Every single one of us told him that we considered that something that could easily cause "serious bodily injury", thus meeting the statutory elements. Ie yes, his client would have been convicted, or could have, at any rate.

Btw, his argument was that cuffs were for cuffing, and were not weapons. That wouldnt have worked out well for him, either.

I agree with the "cane" idea

A nice wood cane with a hook on the end is not only good for whacking, but serves as a device to capture and redirect the advances of an aggressor.

I'd go with the cane

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Not even pepper spray? Bizarre.
    american23 likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Not even pepper spray? Bizarre.
    Nope. It's a felony...