Taser usage

This is a discussion on Taser usage within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.columbusdispatch.com/news...205-A4-00.html Found this in the Columbus Dispatch. The police here just had a subject die after being tased, so I guess this is there attempt ...

Thread: Taser usage

Taser usage

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/news...205-A4-00.html

Found this in the Columbus Dispatch. The police here just had a subject die after being tased, so I guess this is there attempt to explain it to the public. Since I am not LEO, and have never been tazed, I thought it was rather interesting, expecially to force continuum at the bottom. I am surpirsed that punching and kickin are after tazing, and three steps down from "using hands to control a person." Anyways, maybe someone else will find this interesting, also be interested to hear from LEO's if this is accurate, because a lot of the time the Dispatch doesn't do so hot on stuff like this
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/news...205-A1-03.html

There is the story about the subject who died after being tazed.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

According to the story, the guy didn't actually get tased. An officer tried to taser him, but one of the electrodes missed so the guy never actually got shocked.

Yeah, I saw that in the write up. But the intitial reports all over the news were "Man dies after being tazed by police." Which is why it was in the newspaper to begin with. I mostly just posted it for the diagrams and added the actual story as an after thought.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Lead Moderator
    Being punched and kicked causes more damage than being tazed. Could be the guy had a medical condition that was undiagnosed or such. Guessing since he refused to leave the bar, he was probably drunk.
    Too bad the guy died , but fighting with people can be dangerous.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well, I'm not an LEO, but to me the ordering given in the article seems pretty logical. Levels 0-3 (talking, grabbing someone, mace, taser) are all stuff that isn't supposed to have any lasting effect. Tasing is supposed to be very painful, but the pain goes away once the shock stops. They're ordered in pretty much the amount of pain they inflict and the chances of severe side effects (such as the occasional taser or mace related death).

Levels 4-7 (punching, batons, K9, non-lethal projectiles) get into physical strikes or attacks. Stuff that could leave bruises, broken bones, and bites. They may actually be less painful than a taser, but the effect is likely to be longer lasting. A suspect beaten with a baton is going to be hurting long after the blows stop.

As expected deadly force is the last resort.

Links