CRKT Otanashi noh Ken

This is a discussion on CRKT Otanashi noh Ken within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you are like me, you have a box of all the knives you purchased for the new design and technical specs to be carried ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AdamSean

Thread: CRKT Otanashi noh Ken

CRKT Otanashi noh Ken

If you are like me, you have a box of all the knives you purchased for the new design and technical specs to be carried for self defense. The last one I bought was a Cold Steel Rajah III. Before that, a SOG Aegis. My first? A Benchmade Mini Ambush. While all these are excellent knives, I just wanted something bigger and more purpose built for the task I was going to carry it for. I can't remember where I first saw the picture, but I can imagine my eyes wide with a slight glimmer and a smile from ear to ear. It was called a Canyon River knife & Tool Otanashi noh Ken. I have studied different martial arts and learned a few different ways to use a knife but what it comes down to is exactly what this knife was made for. I did my homework on the knife and came to the conclusion there is not other knife made any more perfect for me. I found a deal on Amazon for $75 and jumped on it.

I was happy today when I opened the mail box and there it was. I ran inside like a kid at Christmas and cut open the package. Let me first say that I have a friend who is somehow annoyed that a lot of companies are packaging their knives in plastic. He says it is impersonal and seem cheap. Anyway, I opened the packaging and a box slid out with the words, 'For those who serve' and 'For profesional use', on the top. Nice! It does seem more personal in this box than having to cut open a plastic cover. I opened the box and removed the knife from the plastic baggie. The knife felt heavy, well made, solid. After turning it over and feeling the great gripping texture of the G-10 scale on the one side and the metal on the other, I opened the knife by way of the blade style thumb stud. It was just...sexy! It had a nice balance and fit in the hand. Overhand or underhand grip, it works well. The LAWKS blade lock really gives it the feel of a fixed blade knife. And at 10 inches, it will certainly fool you into thinking it just might be. The 4.6 inch unique tanto style blade folds up with the release of a frame lock and then tucks away deep in a pocket with the top mounted pocket clip. It is small enough to carry comfortably, yet big enough to settle the most frightening altercations.

I added a fob to aid in a fast draw from the pocket. Simply grab the fob, pull up and grab the knife, and with a quick flick of the wrist it smacks open with a solid lock and is ready for anything. I could go on and on about the quality AUS-8 steel blade and how sharp it is, but one thing that really caught my attention was the unknown black coating on the blade and frame. I was applying a light coat of oil on it and even the oil beaded up on it! I had a problem with my last knife getting a little rust on the blade from my sweat. The Otanashi noh Ken should actually repel moisture.

After all this, I have decided this is the one knife that has filled all my requirements in a folding combat knife. I believe it will reside in my pocket or in a neck sheath I made for it when I go for a run. It is just a quality solid and just downright sexy knife! One well worth a good long look.

OlCop likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Links