Fob or no fob on defensive carry knife?

This is a discussion on Fob or no fob on defensive carry knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For years I carried a tactical folding knife for defensive purposes. It is only recently that i have added a fob to my knives. At ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fob or no fob on defensive carry knife?

For years I carried a tactical folding knife for defensive purposes. It is only recently that i have added a fob to my knives. At first, I just liked the way it looked. But. I quickly realized that it aided in getting my knife out faster. I would simply sweep my hand back, grasp the fob under my hand, pull the knife out enough to grab the handle, and open the blade by a flick of the wrist or allowing the wave cut to open the blade itself. Without the fob. I would have to place my thumb inside my pocket and hook my index finger under the pocket clip to lift up. This is just slower to me.

That being said, I now address a concern for having a fob. If this is a defensive carry knife and you are absolutely forced to use it in this fashion, the fob could become a danger. It gives an attacker something to grab and take the knife away from you. It can also catch the blade during opening if not used just right. So my dilemma arises. Do I stay with a fob or not?

Here is something. I am considering. The CRKT S.P.E.W. has a very small and short fob without a loose lanyard. This gives we the fast grab I want and can keep the excess hanging off the end from becoming something for an attacker to grab.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I have lanyards on my folding knives, mainly for just this reason. The lanyard allows me something to grab more easily when the knife itself is clipped inside my front pocket on jeans or other pants with pockets that are rather tight and not easy to get my entire hand into. That said, I don't consider a knife to be a good choice of weapon for self-defense, unless you have years of extensive training in knife fighting combat skills. I have done lanyards for knives for myself and others (I do paracord work as a hobby) that are a loop large enough to put your own hand through, which allows you to loop the cord around your wrist, giving you a better chance or retaining the weapon in a fight. I have such a loop on my Ek commando, and on a friend's Spyderco Tenacious that I tied recently upon request.

welder516 and ccw9mm like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I do have years of years of training with a knife and since I can't carry my gun at work, this is my option. On another note, I have come to the understanding that all that knife training means nothing if I go up against someone who is seriously intent on killing me. It is the same with a gun. If someone is really intent on killing another person, there is a slim chance the defender will win. I was always trained to use that slim chance I have and put it into an escape rather than a fight. A knife can be a great tool to escape an attacker. Imagine a cornered mountain lion. That mountain lion will do some serious damage while it is clawing and biting to get past it's trapper and away. A knife gives me this type of assistance where I have that chance to get to safety and cover. Possibly, my car, where my pistol resides while I am at work.

Liked your insight offered though. Viable points :-)

well, I did say "unless you have the training" :) You do, and you understand what's involved. As for the fobs, I have them on my EDCs, mainly for ease of access to use the kknife as a tool. As for fighting, the only thing I'd consider is a lanyard on a knife like the one I pictured, and that's more as an offensive tool in the hands of a SpecOps operator.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I've never understood why anyone would want crap hanging from the end of their carry knife.
    Tutapper likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    I've never understood why anyone would want crap hanging from the end of their carry knife.
    That is my dilemma. I like having it to deploy it faster, but then I have a dingle-dangle during operation. I suppose I really just need to practice different carry modes. I have thought about making a kydex angled belt sheath for it too. No fob required ;-)

I can appreciate a lanyard, for retention.

But I can't see the utility of a fob, beyond "style" points. Like you, I'd be concerned a "style" fob would just get in the way, in the wrong circumstances. And, like as not, when S is H'g TF, the circumstances won't be optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    That is my dilemma. I like having it to deploy it faster, but then I have a dingle-dangle during operation. I suppose I really just need to practice different carry modes. I have thought about making a kydex angled belt sheath for it too. No fob required ;-)
    If it truly helps you draw faster, great. But then, a properly holstered (or clipped) knife does much the same thing, without the fru-fru.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

There is an excellent video on youtube for drawing a folding knife. Search for "How to Quick-Draw a Pocket Knife: Inside the Crucible Volume 3." This is a solid technique and can be mastered for either left or right handed persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutapper View Post
    There is an excellent video on youtube for drawing a folding knife. Search for "How to Quick-Draw a Pocket Knife: Inside the Crucible Volume 3." This is a solid technique and can be mastered for either left or right handed persons.
    Great video, however, it only applies to a knife that is carried tip down. My knife is tip up. I am using a modified version. Lift up, but instead of turning it out, I have to turn it back. And then I can't reach the thumb disk so I have to give it a flip of the wrist down and when the knife is opened, it is pointing at my assailant. I like the idea of using grip tape on the clip. I never thought of that before.

I only carry a fob on my leatherman squirt but not on my primary blade. I think mine is made by boker. because the squirt is so small it helps me fish it out of my pocket023.jpg
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Administrator
    A looped length of paracord is handy to have when moving the hand back on the handle AKA when using a large knife or machete for chopping but, aside from that specific use I see no personal need for hangy thingies on a pocket folder.
    Unless you just want a place to have a little bit of paracord stored on your person.

But, hey...I am me and not anybody else so whatever works for somebody else is OK with me.

Whatever floats yer boat.
    marcclarke and Aceoky like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

No fob on my pocket folder. If I carried my folder in the bottom of my pocket, I suppose a fob might help me fish it out. Since I clip mine to the top of my pocket (seems to work better with Emerson opening feature) I don't have much use for one.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    no fob for me, i have the SPEW with the fob removed, sometimes i carry it in my boot. as for pocket carry i prefer a clip.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I just like having some paracord handy, and I don't wear the paracord bracelets much because I find them uncomfortable, since I have a dialysis access in my wrist from before my kidney transplant.
    That said, the lanyard is only 3", so it's not big enough to really get in the way of anything.

I kind of like the idea, Adam. I just started carrying a folder when I can't legally carry my gun. I am way undertrained for it but I need something. So far, I can't "draw" it very well from my pocket where it's clipped. There is a hole for a lanyard so I might do something like your first picture. Your description of drawing with the fob makes sense to me. Thanks for this thread.

What about carrying it in a knife "holster"?
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links