Kubotan carry?

This is a discussion on Kubotan carry? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone out there carry a Kubotan or similar "compliance tool?" SSKC...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kubotan carry?

Kubotan carry?

Anyone out there carry a Kubotan or similar "compliance tool?"

SSKC

2. Remove Ads

Yep, I carry a spiked keychain kubotan. Only problem is I\'ve forgotten I had them, and lost 2 of them at airport security over the years.:(

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Lee
    Yep, I carry a spiked keychain kubotan. Only problem is I\'ve forgotten I had them, and lost 2 of them at airport security over the years.:(
    I have chosen to carry a Mini-Mag flashlight for precisely that reason. It's legal for airport carry, and it could save your life if you have to get out of a dark building or airplane, in addition to its defensive uses.

SSKC

I had a karambit device I carried until Galileo (read big Akita dog) decided he needed a new chew toy. So no more device. First tiem he has ever done that too.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

I'll carry a Sure-Fire or Mini-Maglight but don't carry a dedicated kuboton. I don't think I give up anything as an impact weapon or compliance tool (although I can't foresee a time when I will need to make someone comply with anything since I'm not obligated to arrest, restrain, or detain anyone.) The lights give me a reason for carrying that TSA screeners and sheeple understand. I have a Comtech Stinger that I wear on a key-chain too.

Chuck
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Lead Moderator
    used to carry a keychain collaps. baton. No longer am legally allowed to carry in my state as I am no longer LE.

DC Founder
    In the non-firearms or knives category, I carry, occasionally, an ASP baton, a sap that is leftover from my LEO days or an ASP Defender OC (which would be better than nothing when you run out of spray). The spiked Kubotans I have looked at look like they would be good for carrying all of the time....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I have some kind of a kubotan/koppo on me all the time, whether it be an actual kubotan or koppo, or a mini-maglite, or a Rötring pen. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Erich
    I have some kind of a kubotan/koppo on me all the time, whether it be an actual kubotan or koppo, or a mini-maglite, or a Rötring pen. :)
    I've never heard the term "koppo." Could you explain?

I'm partial to Rotring myself. I like the look as well as the potential for
    "secondary uses."

SSKC

Thumbs up

Erich,

Excellent information!!! The links provided were interesting and worthwhile reading. I will check into the book as well.

Thanks a LOT. This info will come in handy (no pun intended) and I will pass it on to some others.

SSKC

My pleasure, amigo. :)

For the short sticks, be sure to actually practice what you plan to do with them. I took a broken mini-maglight and removed all of the plastic and glass parts to turn it into a trainer. Now, I'll tuck the gutless-mini into my pocket when I work the heavy punching bag and incorporate it. A 1-2-3 punching combo get's pretty wicked when the number 3 left hook comes in with the point of the aluminum light body as the striking surface.

Even better than the heavy bag, have a partner hold a set of focus mitts for you and he can swing a padded mitt at you once in a while. Meanwhile, hit back on the mitts with both your free hand and the stick or light, stay on the offensive, and try to press your attack.

The Philipino martial arts techniques really apply well and easilly to short stick applications. The knife technique just translates right accross into short stick technique. I'd highly recommend taking a class with Mike Janich or with SouthNarc to develop some VERY effective short stick work. Aside from that, a little boxing practice can be very helpfull. A quick left jab isn't usually a fight stopper empty handed but certainly can be with a stick backing it up.

Chuck
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

VIP Member
    If I'm carrying my 16" ASP, I'll use that.

I modified my SureFire E2E:

GG&G makes a spiked head that fits on the regular E2E, but I've decided to keep my light looking more discreet. (The Defender model SureFire already has a spiky head.)
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty, I've also got a standard E2e . . . doesn't that clip cut the bejeezus out of your hand when you whack something with it hard?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links