A question I have been pondering....

This is a discussion on A question I have been pondering.... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently gotten in to the fixed blade aspect of my edc. I have found that a knife with a paracord wrapped handle can ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 031131

Thread: A question I have been pondering....

I have recently gotten in to the fixed blade aspect of my edc. I have found that a knife with a paracord wrapped handle can be very useful. Now for my question.... if the blade is full tang, is the handle considered part of the blade, or is the final blade measurement just the sharpened portion? This is more a question of curiosity then legality for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Im surprised that in the knife forum you got 14 views and no answers. No the handle does not count. The blade length is the blade that will cut you. Not the spine with the rest of the metal that runs into the handle.
    GhostMaker likes this.

I appreciate the answer! I was just curious. It would seem that someone might can get in trouble with a blade that is just a piece of metal with no actual handle.

Nope just the part that can cut is the measurement they care about. Fixed blades are my favorite and can be iwb surprisingly comfortably.

I bought a gerber fixed blade (yes, the Bear Grylls version....) at 7, horizontally. I am still new to it. I carry a sig P229 at 3 OWB, an extra mag in a front pocket, a multitool in the other front pocket, and a CRKT folder in the back right pocket. I usually wear 5.11 Tactical tac-lites, so there are actually that many pockets....

I am still feeling out the whole fixed blade aspect of my EDC.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    The key is what your locality's laws are. In some places if you are carrying openly on your belt in a knife sheath, ostensibly for 'camping purposes' you won't get hassled. Maybe carrying a tent and sleeping bag in your car to support that 'story'. I think in many places the key is what is the blade length you are 'concealing' and they are concerned about a folding knife. Yes, they can measure that blade in various places (it's not all that consistent).

So read up on openly carried blades in a sheath, maybe talk to some cops at a gun show and try to carry an knife that looks more like a camping knife and not 'scary' and you should be ok. Depending on where you live in florida a 'dive knife' might fly below the radar. Most of the time, in uncomplicated situations the -most- a LEO will do is confiscate your knife (say if found when you're stopped for a traffic offense). Obviously you wouldn't want to carry a machete on your belt into the downtown part of the city.

Most of the time they're only concerned if you're doing something 'shady', in a high crime area after dark or something. It's pretty unlikely to get 'charged' with anything. So carry a low cost, non-frightening standard camping knife that you don't care if you 'lose'.

I do think that if you're going to carry a knife to support your firearm, a fixed blade is superior. (cuts down on deployment time).
    HTH

This thing cost me 20 bucks. Wont hurt if they take it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    The key is what your locality's laws are. In some places if you are carrying openly on your belt in a knife sheath, ostensibly for 'camping purposes' you won't get hassled. Maybe carrying a tent and sleeping bag in your car to support that 'story'. I think in many places the key is what is the blade length you are 'concealing' and they are concerned about a folding knife. Yes, they can measure that blade in various places (it's not all that consistent).

So read up on openly carried blades in a sheath, maybe talk to some cops at a gun show and try to carry an knife that looks more like a camping knife and not 'scary' and you should be ok. Depending on where you live in florida a 'dive knife' might fly below the radar. Most of the time, in uncomplicated situations the -most- a LEO will do is confiscate your knife (say if found when you're stopped for a traffic offense). Obviously you wouldn't want to carry a machete on your belt into the downtown part of the city.

Most of the time they're only concerned if you're doing something 'shady', in a high crime area after dark or something. It's pretty unlikely to get 'charged' with anything. So carry a low cost, non-frightening standard camping knife that you don't care if you 'lose'.

I do think that if you're going to carry a knife to support your firearm, a fixed blade is superior. (cuts down on deployment time).
    HTH
    WOW. Based on this one response (and I've read many of your posts BadgerJ) you strike me as one sharp cookie.

Who here has seen the first movie of the series Rambo? All he wanted was something to eat in town. I'm not bashing cops here but the town chief of police immediately gave John Rambo a huge ration of you know what for the large sheath knife he was carrying openly. Granted John's answer was smart alek in nature and not taken well. He should have chosen his answer better. I received similar treatment for carrying a sheath knife 43 years while traveling thru Portland Oregon.

Another friend of mine received similar treatment from the cops when after frisking him came across a Kabar folder with 2 inch blade. He told me later the cop was almost jumping up and down with glee yelling "he's got a knife, he's got a KNIFE!!"
    At that point my friend knew his goose was cooked. Cute story I know but I'm sure it's repeated a hundred times a day by LE across America. Because of that and BadgerJ's statement read up on your local laws concerning carrying a knife.

I have 3 custom made sheath knives made by an old friend 25+years ago. They never leave the house. I have a fighting sheath knife. It never leaves the house. I carry a Gerber or Leatherman utility tool w/blade in a holster w/a small tac light plus 1 or 2 small folders most every day. I have never been asked or frisked for weapons by LE. Know your local laws regarding the carrying of knives regardless of the length of the blade.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Sponsored Links