Tazer

Tazer

This is a discussion on Tazer within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if i posted this in the right place ! I just started thinking about buying my wife a tazer for defense . In ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tazer

Tazer

Not sure if i posted this in the right place ! I just started thinking about buying my wife a tazer for defense . In the state i live in its legal . Shes shoots with me most of the time and i run her thru training drills at home for self defense.

Just wondering what everyone thinks ?

Sounds like a good idea. I have been thinking about getting one too. To have when I go places where it is illegal to carry a hand gun. (like a bar or bank)
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

For the money, you might be better off to spend it on a training class with Gabe Suarez, Reality Based Concepts (Lee Aldridge), or SouthNarc. I have not "played" with the new Tazers, but the concensus from those that have seems to be that it is good to have someone with a real gun backing theTazer up.

As far as legality, I would want to check the laws carefully. Generally, if they post, "No Weapons", it means, "NO Weapons". If they would try to have you prosecuted for carrying a Spyderco Ronin, they would go after you for using a Tazer, or promptly revise the restrictions to be able to later. I have my own philosophy on NPE, and it doesnot include Tazer.

Administrator
    NO! A Taser is a horrible idea for self defense. In a BG perception, you are bringing lethal force without the lethal. After the "ride" on the Taser is over, you still need to deal with the BG. After the "ride" BG returns to full strength with no lasting effect. You will also get one shot with a Taser, if you miss you must be able to transition to another tool.
    Being on the reception end of a Taser, most times people think that they were shot with a firearm, that is going to invite a more violent response from the BG.
    Also, you need to be close quarters with the BG for the Taser to be effective, a bad place to be for someone with no CQB experience, let alone likely to be smaller and weaker.

The other issue to address (although the poster above covered it pretty well) - is that not only is there still a P'OD BG after being tasered that you still have to deal with, but there are those of us that tasers, quite frankly, don't work well on! Also you needto differentiate between a Taser and a Stun Gun. A taser actually fires tethered probes and most of them don't go much more than about 50k volts (assuming my memory serves correctly - which is a BIG assumption). Stun guns have probes permanently attached and you must be within striking distance to litterally TOUCH the attacker with the stun gun. Those run much higher voltages usually (I think they run upwards of 750k these days). Personally I take 300k and keep on coming, then again I'm kinda odd, but I personally know of others the same way (the things foolishly discovered the hard way at college in our youth!). I initially discovered after being stun gun'd in college with a 100k model as an "initiation" that I recovered rather quickly. Thus began a saga of the roommates upping the voltage every few months or whenever there was a big party(for the shear shock entertainment value -no pun intended). Personally, if you give me the choice between a big stick and a taser as a backup weapon - I'll take the big stick!

VIP Member
    You will also get one shot with a Taser, if you miss you must be able to transition to another tool.
    The Taser X26c is not a one-shot weapon, and it not only does it have the 15' range capability, but even with the cartridge disengaged, the X26 can still be used as a stun gun.

I think the Taser is a good idea for someone who is not willing to use a firearm, or for a person who is in an area where carrying a firearm is prohibited. A Taser has its limitations and advantages over other less-lethal options, like pepper spray. You don't end up downwind of your own weapon, but on the other hand, you can hose down multiple targets faster with spray. For someone not properly trained with or unwilling to carry a gun, the Taser would be a good idea. The person can't riddle an innocent bystander with bullets if armed with a Taser. But as others have stated, you're arming a physically weaker person with a weapon limited to the duration of the electrical discharge and the target's response to the weapon. It's going to be a hit-and-run-to-safety device.

Glockguy, are you choosing a less-leathal route for your wife because that is what she wants, or have you just made this decision for her? You said she shoots guns with you, so it appears she is not afraid to handle real guns.

If Glockguy's wife is uncomfortable carrying a firearm, than I think a Taser is a good idea. I do not want a person unwilling to carry a firearm to carry one, because being too timid of your own weapon is dangerous. Maybe carrying a Taser will be a stepping-stone to carrying a gun. As for now, any weapon is better than none.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    The Taser X26c is not a one-shot weapon, and it not only does it have the 15' range capability, but even with the cartridge disengaged, the X26 can still be used as a stun gun.

I think the Taser is a good idea for someone who is not willing to use a firearm, or for a person who is in an area where carrying a firearm is prohibited. A Taser has its limitations and advantages over other less-lethal options, like pepper spray. You don't end up downwind of your own weapon, but on the other hand, you can hose down multiple targets faster with spray. For someone not properly trained with or unwilling to carry a gun, the Taser would be a good idea. The person can't riddle an innocent bystander with bullets if armed with a Taser. But as others have stated, you're arming a physically weaker person with a weapon limited to the duration of the electrical discharge and the target's response to the weapon. It's going to be a hit-and-run-to-safety device.

Glockguy, are you choosing a less-leathal route for your wife because that is what she wants, or have you just made this decision for her? You said she shoots guns with you, so it appears she is not afraid to handle real guns.

If Glockguy's wife is uncomfortable carrying a firearm, than I think a Taser is a good idea. I do not want a person unwilling to carry a firearm to carry one, because being too timid of your own weapon is dangerous. Maybe carrying a Taser will be a stepping-stone to carrying a gun. As for now, any weapon is better than none.
    As usual Betty breaks it down well. I agree, I was just making sure that it is well known that there are limitations.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Yes it is, I carry a x26 daily. You have one cartridge that fires one time.
    Assuming you hit your target, you can keep giving the BG "rides" as long as he is connected to the probes. Once a probe is pulled out, you are SOL. If you miss, your SOL.

You can use the "drive" stun without the cartridge, but that is nothing more than a pain compliance tool. Several suspect I have been on the ground with in a knock down drag out fight have kept going after several drive stuns. Did it help? Sure. Did it end the fight? Not even close.

Even with all that, you have to allow your attacker to not only get into your reactionary gap (21ft) but he need to stay there. If you have more than one attacker or one with a gun, God help you, 'cause you just brought a "knife" to a gun fight.

VIP Member
    Sixto,

You will also get one shot with a Taser, if you miss you must be able to transition to another tool.
    "If you miss you must be able to transition to another tool" infers that the Taser is useless after one firing... It may be only able to shoot one cartridge (not considering the reloadable cartridges here), but you don't have just one shot to use the weapon. You have around 150, according to Taser.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator
    OK, here comes BG with a knife, you fire your taser at 14 feet, you miss. BG is now right on top of you. Good luck removing cartridge, and redeploying with the drive stun before damage is inflicted on you, if at all. Remember, the drive stun does not incapacitate.

Lets say you do get a good hit in.... BG is down for 5 seconds.... OK, now what do you do?

Add any senario -here- you'd like with more than one BG.

As someone who carries one and has used a taser more than once in a defensive situation, I do not feel they are adequate for self defense.

Most people feel that since they are not a firearm, they do need the same amount of intensive training. It requires more training in more areas. You need to be proficient in H2H to be 100% effective with the taser.

Don't get me wrong, a taser is a great tool. It is made to compliment other tools at hand though.

Bottom line is, it is foolish to think taser can do the job of a firearm.
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 8th, 2006 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Last line edited to CC standards

Lead Moderator
    I don't think Betty is suggesting replacing a gun with a tazer. if you read her post it say if someone is unwilling to use a gun. mind set in shooting someone is a Big factor. If you cannot pull the trigger, a tazer might be better. (more willing to use).
    Finally, lets watch the flaming.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Would it not be better to carry a economy sized can of OC spray.

Nice range on some of these and the BG is not getting up too soon. Use a product that includes the marking dye so the PD can find him later.

I have very little experience with OC, but it just makes sense to shoot a stream or cloud of OC rather than a stungun. The larger units will last for several blasts too.

Obviously there might be a problem with your wife catching some of the OC herself. That would be bad.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I totally disagree with the post saying a tazer is a bad idea. Why do you think LEOs carry them? Its called a use of force scale. Having a tazer with you, even if you dont use it, helps your case. Anyone carrying a weapon should have atleast one intermediate use of force weapon on them, maybe oc at least. It will allow you options and makes you look better infront of a grand jury.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Administrator
    No flame intended. I have read her posts, they are very clear. I never took her position as such that a taser could replace a firearm. FWIW, the survival mindset is the same for a taser or firearm. I have used both, most will just have to trust me on that one.

An LEO and a regular Joe/Jane are two different things. More often that not, an LEO needs to subdue a BG. If an regular Joe needs a use a weapon, its time for lethal force. Rarely does a regular Joe have the luxury of time or need for a continuum.

Could you imagine going in front of a grand jury and being asked "Why did you kill Mr. Ragman? After all, you did have a taser on you. You could have just tased him. Why is Mr. Ragman dead?"

Can anybody provide answers to my very simple and common scenarios using a taser?
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 7th, 2006 at 05:41 PM.

VIP Member
    Glockguy is apparently wanting an alternative to a gun for his wife, because he is suggesting a Taser instead of a gun, for whatever reasons he'll hopefully clear up when he logs back in.

I have read her posts, they are very clear. I never took her position as such that a taser could replace a firearm.
    If I thought the Taser was some magical end-all, be-all, superior or equivalent replacement to the gun, I'd be carrying one instead of a gun. But I'm not. It's got plenty of limitations, as I said.

Many people are uncomfortable carrying guns (or are unable for legal reasons) but still want to defend themselves, and are able and willing to effectively use less-lethal tools to defend themselves with. Because some people do not want to carry a gun does not mean they are incapable of defending themselves, unwilling to train with their less-lethal alternative, or have no mindset. I believe a Taser is a viable, less-lethal alternative. So's a can of OC.

An LEO and a regular Joe/Jane are two different things.
    I completely agree. While you have had to use your Taser in the line of duty, because it was your duty, you've had to stick around to the end to subdue who you've Tasered. A regular Joe/Jane doesn't have to. As I stated, the Taser is going to have to be a hit-and-run-to-safety tool.

If Glockguy's wife is wanting an alternative weapon because she does not want to carry a gun, what kind of alternative weapon would you suggest?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links