non-metal knives

This is a discussion on non-metal knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since my state has rolled back its previously-restrictive knife laws, I'm going to start carrying my Leatherman tool again. And some kind of defensive knife. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: non-metal knives

non-metal knives

Since my state has rolled back its previously-restrictive knife laws, I'm going to start carrying my Leatherman tool again. And some kind of defensive knife.

Of course, things couldn't be as simple as that... the Post Office is the main hassle whenever I go anywhere, due to its restrictions on CCW. Now I can leave the gun in the little lockbox in the car, which is better than it was before, but once I enter the building, the Federal "weapon" laws define a knife with a blade over 2-1/2" long as a "weapon", and therefore prohibit them.

Fine. I ordered a 3" ceramic paring knife. When it comes in, I'll make a 1/2" ferrule to bring the exposed blade down to the 2-1/2" limit.

As I interpret the section of the Federal regulations I looked up, a 2-1/2" or shorter blade is specifically exempted from "weapon" status, and therefore should be okay in any Federal building that doesn't have some kind of supplementary signage like "no knives, no even box cutters."

Also, as I interpret my state regulations, even though knives are basically deregulated, this does not apply to school properties, which don't seem to actually define what a "knife" is. I wonder what kids use to dissect frogs now. They probably just watch videos now. Anyway, unless/until I find further information, even the 2-1/2" knife won't get carried on school property.

I care about "school property" because some libraries, meeting rooms, parking areas, concert halls, athletic venues, etc. are owned or managed by schools, and therefore are "school property."

I'm going with a non-metal blade to reduce the hassle with metal detectors. In practice, I could probably carry a "real fighting knife" on my leg or a cutlass stuffed down my pants; most detectors only work from the waist up. Many times, I've had to remove by glasses, watch, and tie tac to make it through without setting off the detector, which remained silent about the 18" steel rod in my lower leg and my steel-shanked boots. Some places, of course, are more diligent.

I'm not trying to carry a knife into a place I'm not supposed to have one, I'm just trying to minimize the hassle when I'm carrying one about my lawful business in a non-restricted area that has those *@&@ detectors.

Some ceramic knives have chunks of metal embedded in the handles; lore has it some have metal powder fused into the blades. I'll see how mine makes it through the detectors, and one of my neodymium supermagnets should tell me if there's metal in the handle. If it's "metal", it's probably cheap iron or mild steel, not something fancy and nonmagnetic. If it's fused into the blade, what the heck, at least I'll have a new kitchen knife...

2. Remove Ads

Ah! It turns out my town has just put its "municipal code" online. 987 pages of it... a search shows that "discharging a firearm" is regulated, but the words "blade" or "knife" return nothing, and there are only three hits on "firearm" and none for "gun." So it looks like there never was a city blade length restriction.

Just an FYI, the parking lot of a Post office is also a restricted area for firearms.

Sponsor
    That depends on whether the parking lot is dedicated to the Post Office or not.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    A stand alone Post Office and parking lot, yes, but not a parking lot that is shared by other businesses.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by GoldwingElf View Post
    Just an FYI, the parking lot of a Post office is also a restricted area for firearms.
    Nope not anymore Guns OK in post office parking lots, federal judge rules - CNN.com
    brocktice likes this.

If ya want to go with a traditional metal blade Gerber Guardian 31-001380 D2 2.5" Tactical Fixed Blade, Zytel Handles - KnifeCenterf

There are towns here in Ohio with a 2.5in length restriction on blades, and others no restriction at all. Decided to buy up a few different short blade knives recently and found the Gerber's from a site someone here at DC suggested. I ordered two of them, both 2.5in with different but similar blade and handle styles. Can't go wrong for the price. There are far nicer knives on the site similar in size, but these will be daily use work horses and should serve my purpose well.
    If You Can Read This You Must REALLY Be Bored!

This is also a great 2.5 knife and I think this style blade is great for easy of open for these small knifes which imop often need to two hand to open. Amazon.com: Spyderco Chicago G-10 Plain Edge Knife, Black: Sports & Outdoors the one you posted looks nice too . I will need to check that out .

I'm still waiting for the ceramic knife to arrive. However, I've also been looking at glass and obsidian knives. I can't get over how cheap a hand-knapped obsidian blade sells for - generally, $45-ish for a bare 6-1/2" blade. Wrap some grip tape or paracord to make a handle, and you're ready to go.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Firstly, ceramic blades are extremely brittle. Be ready to buy a new one every few days if you plan to EDC a pearing knife. Why not just buy a Spyderco? They make a bunch of great knives with blades under 2.5" I have yet to see a post office with metal detectors at the front door. I carry my spyderco PM2 everywhere I go. It stays in my pocket unless it's needed for something. As far as federal buildings, don't bother. I had to go to the SS office when I moved here, and I couldn't even go in with a small swiss army type knife that you can even take through airports now. If you want something defensive at that point, you're better off with something subtle like a tactical pen.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

My knife showed up today. It wasn't supposed to arrive until the first week of December. Somehow, I can't seem to work myself into a case of righteous consumer outrage...

It weighs almost nothing, and the blade looks for all the world like white plastic. And it's very sharp...

Now to figure out some kind of sheath.

Links