Remington 700 30.06

Remington 700 30.06

This is a discussion on Remington 700 30.06 within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I am purchasing a relatively new, like 3-5 year old, Remington 700 30.06 rifle from a friend who doesn't want it anymore. It's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Remington 700 30.06

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar

Remington 700 30.06

Hey everyone,

I am purchasing a relatively new, like 3-5 year old, Remington 700 30.06 rifle from a friend who doesn't want it anymore. It's in good condition it just needs a cleaning. He told me that it has a feeding problem. I tried looking at it and noticed myself that on the first round when trying to put a round in the chamber it got caught and wouldn't go in. And there were times that I would back the bolt out a little and push it in again the round would go it fine as well as the others that followed it. Could this be that I held the rifle not in a firing position? Or is the detachable magazine spring not working too good? He didn't have any FMJ all he had was Soft Points. Not sure.

Is there a fix for this or do I have to go to a gun smith and have them fix it? Could I go and buy a new mag? I just can't see a mag spring going bad after a few years and less that 50 rounds put through the gun.

Thanks for the help.
    Chris
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

IIRC the 700's have a bad rep for AD's,in fact there was a guy at our club meeting that was shooting his in the last month,he had it loaded and put the safety on,when he disengaged the safety his gun fired,no he didn't pull the trigger,it was a true AD.google it there are numerous reports online
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...56643336,d.b2I
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Had my 700 .30-06 since 1975 with nary a problem feeding any round, commercial or reload (or any other issue). I'd check and see if someone didn't reverse the mag spring and/or follower. Also, because the 700 is not a controlled feed (like a Mauser is), it is possible to mis-feed if not held upright as if in a normal shooting position.

Does it do this when working the bolt slowly? Quickly? Both? Whatever it is, I'm sure it's an easy fix.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Had my 700 .30-06 since 1975 with nary a problem feeding any round, commercial or reload (or any other issue). I'd check and see if someone didn't reverse the mag spring and/or follower. Also, because the 700 is not a controlled feed (like a Mauser is), it is possible to mis-feed if not held upright as if in a normal shooting position.

Does it do this when working the bolt slowly? Quickly? Both? Whatever it is, I'm sure it's an easy fix.
    When I accuated the bolt slowely it was more pronounced. I did it fast and they fed just fine. I hope it is an easy fix I really like it.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Nope can't fix it. It's ruined for good. Probably dangerous, too. I'll take it off your hands for a $25 disposal fee.

But seriously, find a qualified gunsmith around you and let him have a look at it.
    WannabeaCPA likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Im 100% with duckalmighty, on this one. Id pass on any rem 700 for safety reasons. I love those rifles, btw, but sold all of mine off. I wasnt going to risk anyone in the family ending up dead or wounded because of a KNOWN FLAW with any rifle.

LOL. I have to look and see if there are any good gunsmiths here in my neck of the pine trees. We took one gun to a shop once and neither they nor us have a gun...go figure. They say they gave it to us. Don't see how an AK-47 can just disappear. The other I think is at Gander Mnt. Any one here know of a good gunsmith in the Beaumont/Golden Triangle area of Texas?

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    This kind of surprises me. I have always thought that Remington made good quality rifles.

People get heated on this topic. I mean downright mad. Like they were the ones who designed that model rifle.

Remington does make good quality stuff. However, there appears to be a documented design flaw in the model 700. The DESIGNER of that rifle says so. And says he told remington how to fix it. Decades ago. Remington refused to fix it due to expense.

There is an excellent video out there that features the designer of the 700. Hes still alive, and man is he sharp.

There is enough evidence for me to decide to part with my 700s, which I really loved. I couldnt live with myself should someone in the family get hurt or killed when I was on notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    This kind of surprises me. I have always thought that Remington made good quality rifles.
    dukalmighty likes this.

Starting in 2007 the Remington 700 rifles have the X-Mark Pro triggers. I have one and love it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    When I accuated the bolt slowely it was more pronounced. I did it fast and they fed just fine. I hope it is an easy fix I really like it.
    I think that's your problem--the slow bolt cycling. Many are accustomed to a Mauser action, which "picks up" the next round as the bolt moves forward. The downside of the Mauser is you can't shove a round into the chamber and then close the bolt--it has to pick the round up from the mag.

The 700 shoves the round forward and then the bolt face pushes the loose round into the chamber until the extractor engages and the bolt locks. The advantage is you can fill the magazine and load + one. You shouldn't have to "speed feed" it, but don't work it in slow motion either. The action relies on the round's forward momentum to assist in entering the chamber.

While the safety of the "old" 700 triggers will be debatable until the sun becomes a super nova, as well as mine shoots I'd replace the trigger assembly long before I even considered selling it. Excellent after-market triggers are relatively inexpensive.

As for the follower, I checked mine and it won't fit reversed, but the spring "could" be backwards. The spring ends and center should face toward the muzzle when properly installed.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    IIRC the 700's have a bad rep for AD's,in fact there was a guy at our club meeting that was shooting his in the last month,he had it loaded and put the safety on,when he disengaged the safety his gun fired,no he didn't pull the trigger,it was a true AD.google it there are numerous reports online
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...56643336,d.b2I
    The fact that an older 700 could have an AD with a dirty trigger assembly is documented in the owner's manual; I once had an AD taking the safety off on mine (it sure seemed clean to me when I disassembled it later). So far as I'm concerned, a rifle that will fire when I'm not pulling the trigger is already violating one of the safety rules; it's the mechanical equivalent of having a finger on the trigger when I'm not ready to shoot. Yes, nobody gets hurt unless I violate more rules (and the the closest thing to an injury with my AD was the safety took a patch of skin off my thumb precisely because the rifle was pointing safely downrange), but the whole reason there's more than one safety rule is so you can make a mistake with one of the rules and still be safe because of the others.

I replaced the trigger mechanism with the newer X-Mark trigger (which Remington has adopted without ever admitting there was anything wrong with the old design), and have not had another problem. I haven't seen any reports of the problem persisting with the new design.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    People get heated on this topic. I mean downright mad. Like they were the ones who designed that model rifle.

Remington does make good quality stuff. However, there appears to be a documented design flaw in the model 700. The DESIGNER of that rifle says so. And says he told remington how to fix it. Decades ago. Remington refused to fix it due to expense.

There is an excellent video out there that features the designer of the 700. Hes still alive, and man is he sharp.

There is enough evidence for me to decide to part with my 700s, which I really loved. I couldnt live with myself should someone in the family get hurt or killed when I was on notice.
    So $50 to $100 for a replacement trigger was out of the question?
    OldVet likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post

I think I might have seen the same video. I watched a video of it was either Marine or Army sniper teams using Rem 700s. The 700 has been documented to sometimes fire by bumping the rifle. At no time did shooter have index finger on or near trigger.

I wouldn't take a Rem 700 for $300 or $3.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links