Choose your weapon

Choose your weapon

This is a discussion on Choose your weapon within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you had to use a bladed weapon in your home to protect against a home invasion - no guns allowed - what would your ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choose your weapon

Choose your weapon

If you had to use a bladed weapon in your home to protect against a home invasion - no guns allowed - what would your choice be?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Cold Steel 1917 Naval Cutlass. That failing, a Cold Steel Grosse Messer (a bit big) or a double-bladed katana.

And, no kidding, a spear might do the trick, too.

I can't wait to see all the responses on this one.....

United States military machete.
    Cuts all that nasty undergrowth really well.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

The sword is actually a viable weapon for home defense, if you have no other options. I have a couple of Hanwei "Practical" models, a katana and "ninja" sword, that are excellent for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore View Post
    The sword is actually a viable weapon for home defense, if you have no other options. I have a couple of Hanwei "Practical" models, a katana and "ninja" sword, that are excellent for this.
    +1 Took the words from my keyboard.

a machete...small and light enough to wield with one hand in small spaces (hallways, doorways, etc.) but still enough mass to chop stuff off.

...and they're cheap
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

That would depend on where I was at home. If I was in my bedroom I would grab one of my Katanas, if I was in my shop I would grab the machete off my bench, If I was sitting on the back portch I would grab the broken sythe blade I put a handle on, If I was in the living room I would grab a Bowie, In the TV room a Bowie, the Kitchen one of the large butcher knives.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore View Post
    The sword is actually a viable weapon for home defense, if you have no other options.
    Definitely! I was never much of a martial artist, but I did take fencing as a phys-ed credit in college. I know it takes only a little practice to get good and to be really fast. If the fencer has a little experience, the BG will literally not see it coming. A fencing-type sword would work equally well in narrow spaces, because the tip is always pointed at the opponent in true fencing technique.

In class we used the foil, but the epee would be my choice for actual combat.

Naval Cutlass, many repro's around. Was designed for inexperienced handlers in close quarters hack and slash. Long thin Japanese swords require some training to use properly without breaking during a cut. If you've got the training though, they're pretty effective.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Most likely, my Marto Katana. I've done plenty of cutting tests with it, so I know it is up to snuff if the SHTF.

Oddly enough, I've considered this before: If I'm in my kitchen, one of my cooking knives may be pressed in to duty. They are all fairly heavy with excellent edges. The M&P on my hip would be best, but if isn't available my chef's knife would definitely be a deterrent to crime.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

My Emerson/Neeley Specwar would be my first choice.

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Kurt.KURTSPUTER\My Documents\My Pictures[/IMG]

It is a shame I can't CC this knife. It is a mean, high qualty blade. Too large to conceal and is unlawful to boot.

After that a variety of smaller fixed and folding blades are located thoughout the house or on person and if those are not available, unfortunatly I am left with a small childrens 28" metal baseball bat. It is short enough to use in house if it came to that.

I prefer my Rem 870 for home defense but I have thought about no gun scenarios and prepared for such an event the best I can.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

The upper knife is the version I have
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I have several spears that are designed for wild hog. One is a Cold Steel,Assegai. It is the short shaft model. 17.3"head with a 12" double edged cutting area. The OAL w/ shaft is a little over 3'. These weapons will sharpen up as well as a broadhead arrow. I use mine to chop vines and thick brush as well as stick/jab with.

Take a look at the Cold Steel web site and see what a inside home defense blade that would make.

It would have the intimidation factor of a double barrel shotgun.

How'd ya like to see Betty coming at you down a narrow hall with one of these ??? ---------

Cold Steels Recon Tanto. Or my EDC Gerber backup and cold steel large voyager.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

So they don't get lost in the shuffle, I posted two new threads -- one on swords, the other on machetes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links