Auto knife conundrum

This is a discussion on Auto knife conundrum within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few months back auto knives were legalized in Indiana. I always thought auto knives were cool but it was never one of those "Bah! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Auto knife conundrum

Auto knife conundrum

A few months back auto knives were legalized in Indiana. I always thought auto knives were cool but it was never one of those "Bah! I wish auto knives were legal!!" things. Once they were legalized I started giving some thought to picking one up for no other reason than I like new and cool stuff. At the time I carried a Spyderco Endura 4 which had (and still does) serve me well. For me, a knife is a tool and the spyderco served that purpose admirably. I can't begin to recount the number of boxes it has opened and wires it has stripped.

Well... A couple weeks ago I started carrying a leatherman juice. One of the other reasons I didn't really consider an autoknife when they were legalized was because I used my knife a lot at work. While I know that they are legal in my state now I could see a co-worker raising a stink about it and that is a headache I don't need. Now that I am carrying a Juice I don't need to worry about using my primary EDC knife as a utility blade because the juice has a knife so I am back to contemplating getting an auto knife. Unfortunately that brings up my next problem :(

I pocket carry my pistol about 75 percent of the time. I do not carry at work so from 8-5 my EDC knife rides in my front right pocket. When I get off work my pistol goes in that pocket and my knife gets shifted to my right rear pocket and there in lies the issue. I looked at quite a few auto knifes and finally found one that I though was light and thin enough for me. It's a nice knife and it's pretty affordable. The problem? Carrying a spring loaded knife in my right rear pocket - or in other words - sitting on a push button spring-loaded knife strikes me as a really good way to possibly get accidentally shanked in the bullocks. No. I am not British but have always just REALLY wanted to say shanked in the bullocks.

So I guess here is my question... Am I being paranoid? I have handled this particular knife on quite a few occasions and it takes a pretty decent amount of force on the button to deploy the knife. Sure, I could get a knife with a safety but that defeats the purpose for me. I can manually deploy my Spyderco in the same amount of time it takes me to dis-engage a safety and push the button on an auto. I'm itching to exercising my newfound freedom to carry an auto but am wary of the afore mentioned bullocks shanking.

In case I am not making myself clear due to the couple of drinks I have partook in this evening to celebrate my new CZ 75 SP 01 not sucking - I am worried about getting stabbed in the butt because I was sitting on a auto knife and it accidentally deployed. Thoughts?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Hmm...that could suck. I carry an auto when home workign around the house, but not out(not legal here in VA yet...). I've never had mine open from accidentally hitting the button and takes a fairly deliberate press, but then again I haven't sat on it... What kind of pants do you wear for work? Is it slacks or jeans or what? If it's jeans can you get away with a pair that has a lower leg pocket and switch the knife to that?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I personally like the CRKT M16. It has something similar to the Emerson Wave on it, which is a little outcropping on the back of the blade that catches on your pocket and opens the knife when you remove it from your pocket.

It is not an assisted open, but it can function like one if you want it to (by using the outcropping on the blade.

There is a demo video on the knife on CRKT's YouTube channel if you are intersted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I know a guy that was carrying an auto knife in his front pocket, it opened and sliced his thigh. Most of us thought it was karma, because a couple days earlier he was bragging about his new knife and could not wait to stab someone with it...
    StormRhydr and Badey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rahmann62 View Post
    I know a guy that was carrying an auto knife in his front pocket, it opened and sliced his thigh. Most of us thought it was karma, because a couple days earlier he was bragging about his new knife and could not wait to stab someone with it...
    I had to quit carrying a Kershaw Tanto Blur (assisted open) because it kept opening in my pocket just enough that when I went to get my keys I could get a nice jab or slice. I went to a remington manual open, which is better quality steel, and I couldn't be happier. Well, I take that back. The finish on the blade is sorta cheap and rubs off a little in places, but other than that I love it.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Firstly, most auto knives, good ones anyway, have a safety lock on them to prevent them opening accidentally. I have a Benchmade Auto-Presidio 5000, myself.
    A few things about auto knives, though:
    1. make sure they are legal to carry in your state. Many states have laws making them legal to own now, but not to carry.
    2. While auto knives are nifty, they are also typically rather thick and heavy to accomodate the auto mechanism.
    3. nearly all auto knives I've seen have no thumb stud or thumb hole to close them, which means you need two hands, or a hand and a thigh to close the knife, unlike my Spyderco PM2, which I can easily open and close with one hand. Auto-assist knives usually do have a thumb stud, which helps with the one-handed closing, but the full auto knives, not so much. No idea why that is.
    4. Unless you really have a valid need for an auto-knife, it's really more of a gimmick, and you'll get tired of it fairly quickly.
    5. A quality auto-knife isn't cheap. My benchmade retails for $260, and is one of the strongest auto-knives out there. Some of the flashier ones like the Infidel, which is an OTF auto-knife (out the front, like a stiletto) may have issues with the weak point being at the scales/blade junction. If you're going to carry an EDC knife, make it one that's tough and durable.

I own both fully auto, and spring/auto-assist blades, and the assist models actually seem to be faster at opening, and just as good of a lock-up, without quite so many legal issues for carrying one. Truth is though, my favorite knives for EDC are simple thumb-hole opening models. I usually carry the paramilitary2, a delica4 Ti/damascus VG10, a chpparal2 Ti/CTS-XHP, or a mini-griptilian with the CPM-S30V modified sheepsfoot blade. All of these are fairly small, very good steel, thin, and easy to carry and use.
    BadgerJ likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    I see far more cons than pros with auto knives.

The thumb hole on my Spyderco makes opening it one-handed an automatic process that I don't even have to think about. I doubt an auto opens much faster, and if it does, it's by fractions of a second. Fractions of a second opening time in exchange for a spring-loaded knife near my bullocks, doesn't sound like a good deal to me.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    You're really over-stressing the whole accidental opening thing, to be honest. I have never had my benchmade open without me actively unlocking it and pulling the axis release. Firstly, the lock has to be pushed in, then slid back, then you have to pull back on hte auto-axis release which is recessed into the scales, not protruding like the button on the old school switchblades. It's a gorgeous design, it's just heavy, a bit on the thick side, and like I said, not really of any use for the auto-open, unless you're pinned somewhere that you can't move your wrist, and have to open the knife using just a finger.. only reason I can see for one.

DSC05964.JPG
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I have a Benchmade auto-open and an assisted-open. Neither have ever opened in my pocket. Oregon is confusing. They are legal to carry if not concealed. Concealed is not defined. Some insist it is not concealed if the clip is visible. The LEO and the Judge makes ultimate the decision. If I cross the river into Washington State, they are illegal. I usually just carry a Spyderco Police model with the thumbhole.
    Last edited by LimaCharlie; November 22nd, 2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Since you indicated you don't pocket carry your pistol at work I'm assuming weapons are prohibited. Rightly or wrongly the auto-open is more likely to have "Evil Weapon" status. Just a thought.
    StormRhydr likes this.

VIP Member
    Rollo,

Have you considered clipping your knife inside your waistband? I carry mine (manual or assisted - auto's aren't kosher here) right above my back pocket with the clip hidden behind my belt. It is VERY discrete and darned easy to access. This would alleviate your concern of "shanking" yourself.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Carry this in your pocket if you want the saftey on this will not come off unless you want it too that is why I am looking at this auto large_107_Covert-Auto-Serrated_ful.jpg some blades do have saftey some dont I prefer the ones that have one . And this one is made to open with gloves on large button some of the others are hard to hit

Also do make sure it is legal to carry not just own. Last I looked there were only like 3 states that allowed you to carry one that was more then 2.5inch. And do make sure you local arreas does not have its own rules.

Also the spyercod knife for me is a very fast open kinfe as well as is is the s&w police knife both fast blades.

But yes auto knifes are very very fun. If you get a good one ( not some chepo made in mexcio knock off) then you will be surpise how fast they are . And not to play into the hype but the sound they make can be a wee bit intadmeting for SD purpose imop . I like them as the one I posted can be open easily one handed so if you are in a fight on the ground you can get it out fast ..

Also beawrd of the fact that intersated shipping of auto knifes is illegale unless you are LEO/GOV or only have one arm( no I am sry if you are one armed you may buy a 3.5 inch auto knife acores state lines) so best bet is to get one localy or a gunshow and not have to deal with interstate shipping...

But I should say that for me the best purely defensive knife is this sucker at least the smaller ones 41051d1293418899-what-knife-do-you-carry-cs12cs.jpg ... These are very good blades and easy to use if you are not trained but again no real purpose other then combat for these ... though it make a heck of a letter opener
    StormRhydr likes this.

If you can 'butt dial' a phone, and one can...you could just as easily 'butt open' such a knife. I don't think I would carry that knife in a front pocket either...I wouldn't want a 'repeat' of what the doctors did to me at 5 days old.
    I would keep the switchblade, which are legal in FL, on my night stand next to the Glock.
    Switch blades do have the cool factor, but I'll stick to my Kershaw Assisted Opener.
    Hopyard and StormRhydr like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My Benchmade Mini-Barrage is an assisted opener that is as fast as a true switchblade. It is very safe to carry in any pocket because of how the blade is deployed. I would recommend any of the Benchmade Axis assisted openers. They are very high quality knives and considerably cheaper than comparable auto knives.
    Proud NRA member

With your luck with guns I'm expecting to see your next thread "I Rollo'd my knife"
    Badey and Hopyard like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links