Tasers - A New Threat?

This is a discussion on Tasers - A New Threat? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This month I saw a video on a variation of "the knock out game", where the BG used a taser on his intended victim. The ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Tasers - A New Threat?

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array StormRhydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Music City, USA
    Posts
    2,934

    Tasers - A New Threat?

    This month I saw a video on a variation of "the knock out game", where the BG used a taser on his intended victim. The "Victim" promptly shot the BG twice. Chalk one up for the good guys.

    Last night I saw some videos of black thursday/friday shopping events where women were using tasers in fights ... WITH EACH OTHER. Right in the middle of the malls.

    I saw video footage of that on one of the major cable news networks this morning, and they never mentioned the use of tasers in that fight. Last night I ran searches on taser incidents during black thursday/friday events, and (at that time) was not finding much of anything, but did find lots of material on "gun & knives" being used.

    I came to the conclusion that the taser thing is more frequent that any of us probably thought, AND that retail probably doesnt want it reported. But I also came to the conclusion that its all rather brilliant.

    They report the stuff about "guns & knives", exclude the taser coverage, (which could very well be more frequent), and we are kept in the dark about the extent of these incidents.

    Also, it seems people think about the use of tasers differently than using a knife, or a gun. That they are much more likely to "whip them out", as they dont consider them "lethal force", and the penalties under law are much less, than if a knife, gun, or perhaps club, were used.

    The only reason we are seeing all these videos now is not because of "Reporters on the scene", but because regular folks are video taping them with their cell phones. I think we got a new problem out there that most of us had missed.
    Last edited by StormRhydr; November 30th, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
    TDH1961 and gatorbait51 like this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,687
    Boys will be boys?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  4. #3
    Member Array FireNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northern NV
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    This month I saw a video on variation of "the knock out game", where the BG used a taser on his intended victim. The "Victim" promptly shot the BG twice. Chalk one up for the good guys.

    Last night I saw some videos of black thursday/friday shopping events where women were using tasers in fights ... WITH EACH OTHER. Right in the middle of the malls.

    I saw video footage of that on one of the major cable news networks this morning, and they never mentioned the use of tasers in that fight. Last night I ran searches on taser incidents during black thursday/friday events, and (at that time) was not finding much of anything, but did find lots of material on "gun & knives" being used.

    I came to the conclusion that the taser thing is more frequent that any of us probably thought, AND that retail probably doesnt want it reported. But I also came to the conclusion that its all rather brilliant.

    They report the stuff about "guns & knives", exclude the taser coverage, (which could very well be more frequent), and we are kept in the dark about the extent of these incidents.

    Also, it seems people think about the use of tasers differently than using a knife, or a gun. That they are much more likely to "whip them out", as they dont consider them "lethal force", and the penalties under law are much less, than if a knife, gun, or perhaps club, were used.

    The only reason we are seeing all these videos now is not because of "Reporters on the scene", but because regular folks are video taping them with their cell phones. I think we got a new problem out there that most of us had missed.
    Pretty much why I won't carry one if I'm carrying. More likely to be used.

    I don't know if you've ever been tazed/stunned, but depending on the strike, it can really mess you up for at least a few minutes. I tried one out on my leg (gross muscle function test) and man--it was electrically scrambled for 15 minutes before I could walk effectively on it.

    Some Tazers (LE I think, and I'm sure I'll be corrected by those that have them if I'm wrong) function this way. Enough current to disable. Commercially availible ones (I believe) rely on pain for compliance. If a subject has a high pain tolerance, well, then your just screwed.

    I do agree that the use of these types of things are increasing, as they become more availible.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

    "God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

    Practice makes perfect.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array tdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,568
    Technology being misused say it aint so!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array StormRhydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Music City, USA
    Posts
    2,934
    Man, its the chicks that got my attention. If you have not seen some of the videos, you should. Not what we generally think about in terms of threats we might encounter. See link below.
    Running of the Sheep 2013: Watch the Annual Migrations, Stampedes, Arrests *Black Friday Videos*


    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Boys will be boys?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  7. #6
    Ex Member Array stylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    This month I saw a video on variation of "the knock out game", where the BG used a taser on his intended victim. The "Victim" promptly shot the BG twice. Chalk one up for the good guys.

    Last night I saw some videos of black thursday/friday shopping events where women were using tasers in fights ... WITH EACH OTHER. Right in the middle of the malls.

    I saw video footage of that on one of the major cable news networks this morning, and they never mentioned the use of tasers in that fight. Last night I ran searches on taser incidents during black thursday/friday events, and (at that time) was not finding much of anything, but did find lots of material on "gun & knives" being used.

    I came to the conclusion that the taser thing is more frequent that any of us probably thought, AND that retail probably doesnt want it reported. But I also came to the conclusion that its all rather brilliant.

    They report the stuff about "guns & knives", exclude the taser coverage, (which could very well be more frequent), and we are kept in the dark about the extent of these incidents.

    Also, it seems people think about the use of tasers differently than using a knife, or a gun. That they are much more likely to "whip them out", as they dont consider them "lethal force", and the penalties under law are much less, than if a knife, gun, or perhaps club, were used.

    The only reason we are seeing all these videos now is not because of "Reporters on the scene", but because regular folks are video taping them with their cell phones. I think we got a new problem out there that most of us had missed.
    Please focus on the behavior, not the item. If one person bullys another online, that does not mean we need to pass computer-control laws for everyone.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array StormRhydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Music City, USA
    Posts
    2,934
    I disagree. The item is important. In this instance, (tasers), they give visual indicators (blue glow), and a very distinctive sound (buzzing/zapping, or whatever), and the type of person using them is different than we might ordinarily think about in terms of threat watch.

    Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    Please focus on the behavior, not the item. If one person bullys another online, that does not mean we need to pass computer-control laws for everyone.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,984
    Good to be aware of and watch for. I'd rather be tased than beaten about the head or shot, so maybe it's a good thing? The biggest risk may be that someone recklessly pulls one during an argument and a CC'er misidentifies it as a gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array tdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,568
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Good to be aware of and watch for. I'd rather be tased than beaten about the head or shot, so maybe it's a good thing? The biggest risk may be that someone recklessly pulls one during an argument and a CC'er misidentifies it as a gun.
    I don't think you would have to misidentify it if you are tased and helpless where does it go from there?

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,272
    Are we talking about tasers or stun guns? It seems the terms get swapped and confused quite frequently.

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array StormRhydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Music City, USA
    Posts
    2,934
    The videos I saw used the terms "Tasers", so I did, too. However, you make a great point, and the real answer is that "I dont know".

    They appear hand held devices. What you actually properly call them...beats me.

    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Are we talking about tasers or stun guns? It seems the terms get swapped and confused quite frequently.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,984
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    I don't think you would have to misidentify it if you are tased and helpless where does it go from there?
    It's a question of intent, which is situational. The danger is to the person pulling the weapon with no real intention to cause injury, stupidly assuming that tasers are "safe"; obviously the CC'er doesn't know the intent and could not be blamed for shooting, especially if he can't tell it's not a gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

  14. #13
    VIP Member
    Array Betty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Nashville-ish
    Posts
    3,184
    I've always considered the little dime-a-dozen, handheld-contact zappers to be stun guns, and the Tasers to be the actual Taser brand that shoots the cartridges. I haven't seen the Black Friday shopper videos to see which they're using; I really don't care to see how far we as a species have fallen.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array 40Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where the deer and the antelope roam
    Posts
    2,770
    Like Brock said there is a gulf of difference between a TASER and an electronic stun gun. Someone threatens me with a stun gun is getting hurt. TASERS while generally restricted are considered deadly weapons because you WILL be incapacitated.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Array Brent95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    S.C.
    Posts
    699
    I don't care to get hit by either one.A friend of mine,who i call tiny is a deputy sheriff.He is a huge man.He told me he was tased once.He said he would quit before he went thru that again.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •