Carry knife in Costa Rica

This is a discussion on Carry knife in Costa Rica within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm headed to Costa Rica and can't bring a pistol with me and wondered if I could bring my daily carry knife (Spyderco Native) with ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Carry knife in Costa Rica

I'm headed to Costa Rica and can't bring a pistol with me and wondered if I could bring my daily carry knife (Spyderco Native) with me. I can't find any info about laws that might prohibit me from bringing and carrying a pocket knife. Anybody have any info?

I'm not sure about the knife question, but I'm headed there in February for a first time visit. Would enjoy hearing about your trip when you get back. We'll be in the Jaco area on the west coast about an hour from San Jose.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member
    Hey, we are headed there in February, as well.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I went there last year, I carried a SAK with me, but that was it. There wasnt a second there that I felt unsafe, the people were amazingly nice.

We're flying into Liberia and heading to Tamarindo. I'll let you know what I find. BTW I've heard nothing but great things about the people and the place.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by derrelw View Post
    I'm headed to Costa Rica and can't bring a pistol with me and wondered if I could bring my daily carry knife (Spyderco Native) with me. I can't find any info about laws that might prohibit me from bringing and carrying a pocket knife. Anybody have any info?
    derrelw, yes you may carry your knife with you (just remember to put it in baggage for the trip, not carry-on ) There are no rules regarding knives in CR. I have property there and visit 3 or more times a year. I carry my benchmade and frequently keep a machete in my vehicle. It's a beautiful country and the people are very friendly. But, like everywhere else, there is a criminal element that one must be prepared for. I'm sure you've already read this on line, but DO NOT leave anything in your vehicle that you don't want to lose. Petty theft is quite prevalent, especially in the tourist cities like Tamarindo, Jaco, etc.
    Have a great trip and post up some pics when you return. Pura Vida!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikane0812 View Post
    derrelw, yes you may carry your knife with you (just remember to put it in baggage for the trip, not carry-on ) There are no rules regarding knives in CR. I have property there and visit 3 or more times a year. I carry my benchmade and frequently keep a machete in my vehicle. It's a beautiful country and the people are very friendly. But, like everywhere else, there is a criminal element that one must be prepared for. I'm sure you've already read this on line, but DO NOT leave anything in your vehicle that you don't want to lose. Petty theft is quite prevalent, especially in the tourist cities like Tamarindo, Jaco, etc.
    Have a great trip and post up some pics when you return. Pura Vida!!
    So my kukri is cool there? Excellent.
    kaikane0812 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have frequently carried an inexpensive dive knife with me along with my snorkeling gear in my checked luggage and never had a problem. It was even searched one time but was never questioned. I would reccomend that whatever knife you take be inexpensive. Kershaw makes a neat sturdy knife called the Shuffle. It has a short but wide blade and has a built-in screwdriver and bottle opener for Coronas. It is about $15 at Walmart. Enjoy your trip!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by kaikane0812 View Post
    There are no rules regarding knives in CR.
    While there aren't rules specific to knives, are there any that govern "concealed weapons" that could get a Gringo in trouble with the locals, ie: is one better off carrying the knife on their belt (in a case or visible) as opposed to shoved in their pocket?
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Administrator
    I cleaned up and sharpened some knives for a neighbor that was going to live in CR for 2 years but, I don't know any more about the subject than that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    While there aren't rules specific to knives, are there any that govern "concealed weapons" that could get a Gringo in trouble with the locals, ie: is one better off carrying the knife on their belt (in a case or visible) as opposed to shoved in their pocket?
    Now yer gettin all technical on me I have never seen any laws governing the carrying of a knife in one's pocket on any of the forums I peruse regarding CR. I carry my Benchmark clipped in my pocket everywhere I go while there (except while actually in the water). There is one major exception though. If you have to do banking business, you will need to either leave the knife in your vehicle. No weapons of any sort are allowed in the banks. You also have to take your hat and sunglasses off before entering one. When ya see how many ticos carry machetes you'll understand why that little old pigsticker in your pocket is of little concern.

It was no problem bringing or carrying me pocket knife while in Costa Rica. What a beautiful place and people. Pura Vida!

Quote Originally Posted by derrelw View Post
    It was no problem bringing or carrying me pocket knife while in Costa Rica. What a beautiful place and people. Pura Vida!
    I am glad you enjoyed your vacation in CR. Costa can be habit-forming. Went there for the first time in 1991, now I have property and a place there as my second, soon to be first, home. There's a lot of 'country' to see for such a small country.
    Pura Vida backatcha amigo

Links