Lansky Blademedic Review

Lansky Blademedic Review

This is a discussion on Lansky Blademedic Review within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First let me say that I am not very good at sharpening knives (especially with water stones). I am working on this skill, but I'm ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AzQkr
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Lansky Blademedic Review

Lansky Blademedic Review

First let me say that I am not very good at sharpening knives (especially with water stones). I am working on this skill, but I'm possibly the worst blade sharpener ever.

Enter the Lansky blademedic.

I bought it for about $10 at a local store. It has 4 sharpening stations. A carbide sharpener, a ceramic rod polisher, a diamond rod, and a ceramic serration sharpener

The sharpener is pretty foolproof. The carbide and ceramic rods are positioned in such a way that you simply place the blade in and pull toward yourself (while keeping the blade perpendicular to the ground).

While it doesn't get my blades shaving sharp (this could be my fault), it has allowed me to keep them functional with little effort.

It is perfect for a camping backpack or Bug Out Bag, where space may be at a premium.

While I'm sure its not the best sharpener, it is handy, quick and easy to use, and has a very agreeable price point.

http://lansky.com/index.php/products...ife-sharpener/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Sponsor
    Those put a primary grind on a blade, from there it needs to be sharpened further to get a good edge. They work well as a field expedient. Form that grind, if you used a Spydie crock set it would be near razor blade sharp in no time.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

There's a reason that a lot of people call those pull through sharpeners... blade rapers.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    Badey

The secret to using that carbide is to use almost no downward pressure. If there are nicks in your edge and you use too much downward force you will make those dings and nicks deeper and worse.

Use hardly any pressure and draw your blade through the carbide cutters many times and you can remake the edge without making your edge worse.

When I field dress an edge out in the woods with a Tungsten Carbide sharpener I basically draw the blade through the Carbides holding it perfectly straight up and down and about the only downward pressure is the weight of the knife.
    Badey likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Those put a primary grind on a blade, from there it needs to be sharpened further to get a good edge. They work well as a field expedient. Form that grind, if you used a Spydie crock set it would be near razor blade sharp in no time.
    I've got a spiderco sharp maker on my Christmas list, along with a couple of diamond stones. My goal is to be able to sharpen my knives well myself (instead of having a buddy do it for me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

You need to be careful with pull through sharpeners, atleast with your costly knives. If you put too thin of an edge on your blade it can chip easily.

Links