New Addiction

This is a discussion on New Addiction within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I am officially a blade addict now. I have always liked knives, but didn't get too into them because I am not good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New Addiction

New Addiction

I think I am officially a blade addict now. I have always liked knives, but didn't get too into them because I am not good at sharpening.

I am determined to learn how to sharpen this coming year, and my love of blades is quickly returning.

How do you all balance your love of guns with your interest in knives (assuming you have a limited budget)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have collected knives for many years and seldom carry one , i have cheap and expensive knives . I keep all the original boxes for them too .

Also have a few good custom ones as well .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

What is 'balance'?

I'm obsessive and unfortunately for me knives have hit and hit me hard. Unfortunately I do not have much money so $60 has been my limit but the quanity has increased the more I read. Taking a step back and looking at what I have done the past couple months is not good. I'm hoping that once I cross off a couple of more 'have to have' basics off my list will get me to stop...

Quote Originally Posted by Badey;3010682How do you all balance your love of guns with your interest in knives (assuming you have a limited budget)?

Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1
    Tapatalk[/URL]
    I stay away from read too many knife threads, otherwise I start wanting things I don't really need. But hey, if it gives you joy, save and research while doing so.
    squid86 likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I stay away from read too many knife threads, otherwise I start wanting things I don't really need. But hey, if it gives you joy, save and research while doing so.
    That's what happened to me! I think as I'm starting to learn more, I'm realizing that some of my knives are made with sub-par steel. So now that I've done my research, I'd like to get some better blades.

"My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I love lighter skeleton folders in all sizes, but always end up using them for whatever, so I keep the cost reasonable.
    Recently got a decent Colt branded 'ceramic' folder blade 3" for $35. Always wanted a 'ceramic' folder, but now, I am reluctant to use it.
    I can sharpen my decent steel blades, but 'ceramic'?

I need to spend more quality time with the ones I have. (I think I have some I could give for Christmas presents)
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Just bought my first knife, a benchmade, and I love it. I can see how this could be an addictive habit. Cheaper then guns, so it could be dangerous for me! I sympathize

The reason these hobbies are complementary is that they share so many characteristics.

You search for the perfect knife the way you hunt for the perfect gun. And you find the same thing - each one fills a niche so you have to get a few for different applications.

You have the pocket/utility knife, the EDC, the fun one, the serious one, the tactical one, and then you're on to machetes and swords. In each category you can get custom items, battle-ready examples, and then there's all the metallurgy and sharpening stuff. It just goes on and on.
    brocktice likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I'd wager I'm one if the biggest knife fans here. My average edc consists have two folders, 1 fixed blade, and if you want to count the leathermen another two blades. I won't explain their purposes at this time. But my general rule of thumb is that if I can buy a gun with the money then I'm not buying a knife. That said my limit is roughly $100. And I will only go up that high with useful large blades such as the marine raider for example. I like to keep my folders under $60 having only one with a decent price tag (tri lite 4") and everything over that is for good solid fixed blades. Not much need for an expensive nice. My oldest knife is a cheapo 440 (c I think) gerber ar3.0 and I've done everything from cord, fish, and opening a beer with it. Can get them for $20-30. I replaced that one with a dozier though. The gerber is now my take to work knife. Most recent task was digging a rock some metal part I was working with. Anyway it's old, I've had it a long time and its cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I think I am officially a blade addict now. I have always liked knives, but didn't get too into them because I am not good at sharpening.

I am determined to learn how to sharpen this coming year, and my love of blades is quickly returning.

Try the Spyderco Sharpmaker.
    ghost tracker likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    welcome to the addiction. we have meetings for this every saturday, lol. it is definitely hard to fight the urge, ive become great at window shopping and hardly buying lately. i used to go for cheap off brands and have moved to better brands like kershaw and spyderco lately. im also one of those who carry 2 knives, one for each hand
    Badey likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Try the Spyderco Sharpmaker.
    I'm hoping to get one for Christmas. I have some stones, but just never was very good at using them. I also picked up a lansky system, but that seems to take some of the artistry out of sharpening.

I use the traditional Lansky Pro kit and if you're patient you can get amazing results.
    I really like good folding knives but won't spend money unless I have cash in my hand.
    I love Spyderco knives and have my first ZT on its way.

Gun guys (and gals) are at high risk of developing an addiction for: knives, flashlights, watches. It also clarifies their position on politics. Well done!
    Badey likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by derrelw View Post
    I use the traditional Lansky Pro kit and if you're patient you can get amazing results.
    I really like good folding knives but won't spend money unless I have cash in my hand.
    I love Spyderco knives and have my first ZT on its way.
    You'll have to do a review of your Zero Tolerance knife. I've heard good things about them, but don't have any in my collection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links