Tip Up or Tip Down?

This is a discussion on Tip Up or Tip Down? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to exclusively carry tip down, now I am experimenting with tip up carry. How do you carry your knife, and why do you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tip Up or Tip Down?

Tip Up or Tip Down?

I used to exclusively carry tip down, now I am experimenting with tip up carry. How do you carry your knife, and why do you prefer that method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

it doesn't make that much difference to me. i have knives that carry tip up, and others that carry tip down. i think i slightly prefer tip up, mostly because it keeps the clip away from the blade end of the handle. i can draw the knife and open it easily, regardless of tip orientation.

Sponsor
    Tip down, on a straight blade
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

On my folders, mostly tip up - simply because when I reach into my pocket, I want my hand to grab the knife with the thumb on the knob that allows me to open the knife. As a result, I rarely use the clip.

A while back I called CRKT and asked why they put the clip on what I felt was the "wrong" end of the knife. Their reason is that if the knife should open for some reason while clipped, you don't want to get poked by the blade point while reaching for the knife. I see their point (not pun intended), but that's not for me. Most of the clips seem to be reversible these days, though.
    Wunderneun likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

RT
    The only knife I've been carrying lately is a Kershaw Blur, and for that, I prefer to carry it tip up. When oriented tip up, my thumb naturally rests on the thumb stud when pulling the knife, and I've got a firm grasp on the knife as soon as the clip clears my pocket. In the event that I would need to access and deploy the knife rapidly, the blade can be out as soon as the knife clears the pocket. With tip down carry, I noticed I was having to readjust my grip a little too much after clearing my pocket to get a firm grip on the knife. This wouldn't be a big deal with normal daily use, but I could see that increasing the odds of me fumbling the knife in a high stress situation.

Tip up, it's the only way for me. Plus I don't have the option with the Benchmades I typically carry. In 20 years or so of carrying a folding knife daily, I've never had one open in my pocket accidentally.

Spyderco para2, tip up so if you have to deploy its in the right orientation.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Sponsor
    Depends on the size of the knife. For knives the size of Benchmade's Presidio, Rift, Barrage, etc and smaller, I like tip up. I can reach deep with my thumb and the knife comes out in my hand in just the right position to open quickly. For anything much larger I prefer tip down. If I have to shift my grip to open the knife, it's easier to grip the pivot and swing the grip back and up into my palm than it is to "hike" the knife up in my hand.

$0.02
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Never gave it much thought. When I used to carry a (folding) knife it was in a belt sheath.

Tip up so I grab it in the right position for it to open. My kershaw would be pretty hard to open accidentally in my pocket, so I'm not worried about reaching into a blade.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I used to exclusively carry tip down, now I am experimenting with tip up carry. How do you carry your knife, and why do you prefer that method?
    Tip-up, because I clip the knife inside my front pocket, and when it's drawn, my thumb is already on the spidey-hole, with the knife in a proper grip for deployment. It just works, and most quality folding knives I've seen that don't have facilities for reversing the pocket clip, are tip-up only. Many are drilled for either up or down, but some are not. I have one knife that is tip-down only, and it still works fine. I just have to remember it's the one that's different.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Tip up. My spyderco delica with Emerson wave was made to be tip up. And my Kershaw cryo I also carry is tip up. Easily and fast deployable.

I used to exclusively carry tip down until I tried tip up. Now I love it.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Tip up on my folders varies on my fixed blade those I carry tip up or horizontal.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Tip up for me too for reasons already said.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

"Hole" down / tip up. Spyderco Native blades, here. As I reach in to extract the knife, the thumb is at the hole and easily opens the blade as I clear the pocket. As described, here, I carry them pretty much as configured in the Spyderco factory photo below ...

WHEC724 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links