To micro bevel, or not to micro bevel?

This is a discussion on To micro bevel, or not to micro bevel? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I am learning more about sharpening, I am reading conflicting info on this topic. Who uses a micro bevel, and why do you do ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgiaCarry

Thread: To micro bevel, or not to micro bevel?

As I am learning more about sharpening, I am reading conflicting info on this topic.

Who uses a micro bevel, and why do you do so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    depends, what is the blade for ?
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    depends, what is the blade for ?
    - Also depends on the steel. Some benefit from it a lot more than others.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I find very little downside to a microbevel, tell you the truth. The only time I don't do it is with my own personal kitchen knives. If you thin a knife a little and apply the primary bevel, then just a very small micro-bevel with give the blade added strength without impairing the ability to cut. Plus it makes re-sharpening a lot faster and easier. When I sharpen on my grinder though I don't apply one since I'm generally (but not always) sharpening in the slack a few inches off the platen.

It's true that some steels benefit from a micro-bevel more than others it's rarely a bad idea. Philosophically it's probably not appropriate for a scandi grind but in practical terms it helps them stay sharp longer and take more "abuse".
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Also depends on the steel. Some benefit from it a lot more than others.
    It is VG-10 steel, for EDC. In all reality, I'm not going to use it much, just slicing some paracord and other light work, and self-defense in an absolute pinch.

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

i assume the your EDC has a flat or hollow grind?

i have no experience with VG 10 but i would say micro bevel is good for EDC. the edge will be a bit stronger and easier to re sharpen.

i would avoid putting a micro bevel on a scandi grind, convex grind and straight razors.

the bevel makes the edge angle larger and there for stronger but you give up some sharpness, nothing you will notice unless you try to shave with it.

beveling a scandi grind defeats the "spirit" of the grind profile IMO

convex grind edges is essentially a blended compound bevel so a micro bevel would be redundant and could make the angle too large.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

i have no experience with VG 10 but i would say micro bevel is good for EDC. the edge will be a bit stronger and easier to re sharpen.
    Spyderco's VG10 should be roughly the same as 154CM and S30V in real world cutting. At least that's been my experience.

I have tried putting a microbevel on my Emerson 154CM blades and kitchen knives and haven't really noticed a large difference in edge retention. The microbevel does last a few days longer, but that's about all I've seen. I sharpen with the Wicked Edge, so I usually just touch up the blade when I need to.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    As I am learning more about sharpening, I am reading conflicting info on this topic.

Who uses a micro bevel, and why do you do so?

Because that's the way the Japanese taught me.

GeorgiaCarry
    Badey likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i was thinking that by beveling the blade would benefit from increased edge strength against chipping. trading hair splitting sharpness for a bit of extra durability but really it all depends on the primary grind of the blade and how it is used.

i assume the your EDC has a flat or hollow grind?

i would avoid putting a micro bevel on a scandi grind, convex grind and straight razors.

the bevel makes the edge angle larger and there for stronger but you give up some sharpness, nothing you will notice unless you try to shave with it.

beveling a scandi grind defeats the "spirit" of the grind profile IMO

convex grind edges is essentially a blended compound bevel so a micro bevel would be redundant and could make the angle too large.
    Yeah, it's a flat grind.

My goal is eventually to be able to use a stone freehand and achieve a convex grind.

Right now I have a lansky and I just picked up a spyderco sharp maker. I can use either of these to achieve a straight edge or a micro bevel.

Right now I'm leaning toward a micro bevel because it is supposed to be much quicker to touch up.

Links