Defensive Carry banner

To micro bevel, or not to micro bevel?

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Badey 
#1 ·
As I am learning more about sharpening, I am reading conflicting info on this topic.

Who uses a micro bevel, and why do you do so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I find very little downside to a microbevel, tell you the truth. The only time I don't do it is with my own personal kitchen knives. If you thin a knife a little and apply the primary bevel, then just a very small micro-bevel with give the blade added strength without impairing the ability to cut. Plus it makes re-sharpening a lot faster and easier. When I sharpen on my grinder though I don't apply one since I'm generally (but not always) sharpening in the slack a few inches off the platen.

It's true that some steels benefit from a micro-bevel more than others it's rarely a bad idea. Philosophically it's probably not appropriate for a scandi grind but in practical terms it helps them stay sharp longer and take more "abuse".

#6 ·
i assume the your EDC has a flat or hollow grind?

i have no experience with VG 10 but i would say micro bevel is good for EDC. the edge will be a bit stronger and easier to re sharpen.

i would avoid putting a micro bevel on a scandi grind, convex grind and straight razors.

the bevel makes the edge angle larger and there for stronger but you give up some sharpness, nothing you will notice unless you try to shave with it.

beveling a scandi grind defeats the "spirit" of the grind profile IMO

convex grind edges is essentially a blended compound bevel so a micro bevel would be redundant and could make the angle too large.

#7 ·
i have no experience with VG 10 but i would say micro bevel is good for EDC. the edge will be a bit stronger and easier to re sharpen.
Spyderco's VG10 should be roughly the same as 154CM and S30V in real world cutting. At least that's been my experience.

I have tried putting a microbevel on my Emerson 154CM blades and kitchen knives and haven't really noticed a large difference in edge retention. The microbevel does last a few days longer, but that's about all I've seen. I sharpen with the Wicked Edge, so I usually just touch up the blade when I need to.

#9 ·
i was thinking that by beveling the blade would benefit from increased edge strength against chipping. trading hair splitting sharpness for a bit of extra durability but really it all depends on the primary grind of the blade and how it is used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.