Metal Knuckles or Kubotan?

This is a discussion on Metal Knuckles or Kubotan? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found a thread somewhere that classified this type of Kubotan as "metal knuckles" which, in North Dakota "metal knuckles" are considered a "dangerous weapon". ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Metal Knuckles or Kubotan?

I found a thread somewhere that classified this type of Kubotan as "metal knuckles" which, in North Dakota "metal knuckles" are considered a "dangerous weapon".

However, my ND Class 2 permit says it is for a "Firearm & Dangerous Weapon".

Anyone have definitive answers or similar experiences?

31GKsoFTYlL._SL500_.jpeg

I googled but did not find out does you state say like FL that if you have said permit you can carry this this or that ? I would try to find out first.

Some states say all that can be carryed with permit is a gun that is it others say carry a taser etc .

Also dont they have plastic version of this ? If you are worried why not get that till you get a answer ?

Havent seen the plastic version but that would be fine to me. All I have found are Steel or Aluminum.

Any ND CCW instructors able to answer/clarify the "Firearm & Dangerous Weapon" Classification? I know a friend that had to get CCW Permit so that he can transport his Katana back and forth to Martial Arts Class because it too is classified as "Dangerous Weapon".

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    If you're serious, say an LEO get sap gloves. Investigate the kind to get. It may be illegal in your area.

The excerpt from the ND CCW Law which defines "dangerous weapons" verbatim...

As used in this title, unless the context otherwise requires:
    1.* "Dangerous weapon" includes any switchblade or gravity knife, machete, scimitar, stiletto, sword, dagger, or knife with a blade of five inches [12.7 centimeters] or more; any throwing star, nunchaku, or other martial arts weapon; any billy, blackjack, sap, bludgeon, cudgel, metal knuckles, or sand club; any slungshot; any bow and arrow, crossbow, or spear; any stun gun; any weapon that will expel, or is readily capable of expelling, a projectile by the action of a spring, compressed air, or compressed gas including any such weapon, loaded or unloaded, commonly referred to as a BB gun, air rifle, or CO2 gun;*and any projector of a bomb or any object containing or capable of producing and emitting any noxious liquid, gas, or substance.

Now, that being said, and the fact that my Class 2 permit states it is for a "Firearm & Dangerous Weapon" would lead me to believe that I can carry ANY of the weapons listed above.

Anyone have feedback? I like Badger J's idea as well.

That is how florida ccw works .. I would try to call a lawyer who know or the issuer of the permit . Tend to have more weight then the guy online .

Also yep saps are very nasty . Look at blackjack or the leather one. I know a sap can be slip into your pocket and you can not tell you are carry it .. There is a reason police can not carry them anymore they can and will casue very sry injury etc much more then say a ASP club imop.. A blackjack is even nastier as it is basically a spring loaded lead weight trust me you do not want to get hit with that ..

However sap gloves tend to be less regulated then say brass duster so they are a great option .. Some are pretty discrete too look like leather gloves but with buckshot in it .

Also look at a tire club they are made to keep in the car to thump the tires but also work very well for thumping other things if needed ..

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It appears that with your permit you can legally carry a dangerous weapon as defined in the text. However, I personally would not carry a kuboton with the spikes as pictured. I think the spikes would make it harder to carry and tend to get hung up on things without adding much functionality. I prefer the original straight version. Also, seriously study the target areas of the body so you will understand how various common items might be used for defense. You might also consider a tactical pen which could be used in the same manner as a Kuboton or yawara stick.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    That is how florida ccw works .. I would try to call a lawyer who know or the issuer of the permit . Tend to have more weight then the guy online .

Also yep saps are very nasty . Look at blackjack or the leather one. I know a sap can be slip into your pocket and you can not tell you are carry it .. There is a reason police can not carry them anymore they can and will casue very sry injury etc much more then say a ASP club imop.. A blackjack is even nastier as it is basically a spring loaded lead weight trust me you do not want to get hit with that ..

However sap gloves tend to be less regulated then say brass duster so they are a great option .. Some are pretty discrete too look like leather gloves but with buckshot in it .

Also look at a tire club they are made to keep in the car to thump the tires but also work very well for thumping other things if needed ..
    I might think that the key word in "sap gloves" may turn out to be "sap" for legal purposes in many places.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcap_Magician View Post
    I might think that the key word in "sap gloves" may turn out to be "sap" for legal purposes in many places.

Unlike brass knuckles, weighted knuckle gloves are legal in most areas, as they are generally considered “less-lethal weapons", due to their defensive nature. In some jurisdictions, including Australia, they may be restricted under more general "dangerous weapons" laws.

In the United States, weighted knuckle gloves are illegal in the states of Massachusetts and California[2][citation needed]. In New York, sap gloves are not specifically denominated as unlawful weapons by state law.[3][4] However, they may be unlawful to possess with intent to use them unlawfully against another.[5]

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Unlike brass knuckles, weighted knuckle gloves are legal in most areas, as they are generally considered “less-lethal weapons", due to their defensive nature. In some jurisdictions, including Australia, they may be restricted under more general "dangerous weapons" laws.

In the United States, weighted knuckle gloves are illegal in the states of Massachusetts and California[2][citation needed]. In New York, sap gloves are not specifically denominated as unlawful weapons by state law.[3][4] However, they may be unlawful to possess with intent to use them unlawfully against another.[5]
    figures they would be in California.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdschoolerjdsch View Post
    The excerpt from the ND CCW Law which defines "dangerous weapons" verbatim...

As used in this title, unless the context otherwise requires:
    1.* "Dangerous weapon" includes any switchblade or gravity knife, machete, scimitar, stiletto, sword, dagger, or knife with a blade of five inches [12.7 centimeters] or more; any throwing star, nunchaku, or other martial arts weapon; any billy, blackjack, sap, bludgeon, cudgel, metal knuckles, or sand club; any slungshot; any bow and arrow, crossbow, or spear; any stun gun; any weapon that will expel, or is readily capable of expelling, a projectile by the action of a spring, compressed air, or compressed gas including any such weapon, loaded or unloaded, commonly referred to as a BB gun, air rifle, or CO2 gun;*and any projector of a bomb or any object containing or capable of producing and emitting any noxious liquid, gas, or substance.

Now, that being said, and the fact that my Class 2 permit states it is for a "Firearm & Dangerous Weapon" would lead me to believe that I can carry ANY of the weapons listed above.

Anyone have feedback? I like Badger J's idea as well.
    I wonder if the omission of the bec de corbin is an intentional loophole.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by DuknBucks View Post
    figures they would be in California.....
    Hey dont feel bad nunchucks are illagl here ...

Ironc as you can legal carry 4 guns and a machete in public openly but not nun-chucks ...

But hey at least you can carry a taser legally .

If that is your weapon of choice, I'd choose whatever gets you out of a jam, worry about the legal stuff later???

Any laws against a roll of nickels?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    You can use a standard Mini-maglite as a kubutan with standard techniques. You can even put a keyring with your keys on the tailcap if you want. I know it isn't as tactically cool, but as far as I know they are legal most everywhere.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links