Are Custom Folders Really Worth the Money?

This is a discussion on Are Custom Folders Really Worth the Money? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I am researching knives, steel types, etc., I have run across many custom folder makers. With a price tag of anywhere from $250 - ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Are Custom Folders Really Worth the Money?

Are Custom Folders Really Worth the Money?

As I am researching knives, steel types, etc., I have run across many custom folder makers. With a price tag of anywhere from $250 - $13,000 ($500 seems to be average), are custom folders really worth the money?

I can't imagine paying that much for a folding knife, when I could get several Bemchmades, Spydercos, or other quality production knives.

I get it for fixed blade knives that are going to be used hard, where heat treatment and tempering make a huge difference, but is that a realistic scenario for a folder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

About the same as custom handguns. To each their own.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Ex Member
    Each to his own but in my opinion NO. The folder on the far right is a A.G. Russell, the first one hand opening knife. Built like a tank and lifetime warranty. This is my second. I WORE the first one out. It peeled apples, pried head gaskets off cylinder heads, cut hay bales and even dressed out a deer. Held a edge like nothing I had owned. I used it so much I wore the lock flange out, they replaced the knife. I bought this in about 1980 for $79, today maybe $150-$175. Worth EVERY penny.
    Unless you are looking for a 'purdy blade really shouldn't have to spend more.

VIP Member
    If someone is a collector and has the money to buy a large ticket item , i say congrats . But if you buy a 15,000.00 knife i doubt you have it in your pocket but it is most likely displayed at home .
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

They're worth the money if you HAVE the money. Many (most?) high end folders are as much art as they are tools. Art costs more money. As tools, I'd feel pretty goofy cutting carving sheet metal with a custom folder. Don't confuse your sports.
    welder516, PEF and Bad Bob like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Depends on what you want the folder for.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I value well made things. And I can certainly appreciate knives that are more works of art...but I wont be buying one.

If something is so fine that it cant be used, I dont want it. Also, I have never lost a gun, but I have lost, or misplaced a pocket knife. I dont like it when its "just" a regular priced good knife, I would absolutely hate it were it to be a $500+ pocket knife.
    Wunderneun and Bad Bob like this.

Unless the knife is a auto knife I dont pay more then a 100 or so usally much less.

It is worth it for auto knife then imop you do get what you pay for .. A nomal pocket knife not so much.

The knife site I shop at has some very very nice expenscie pocket knives some even with real ivory handles .. But I know they would just sit in a box and be looked at and nothing I owned be it guns or knifes was bought to sit in a box. It is more I just dont have the room or time to deal with that . I only have one knife I wont carry ( nice demscus blade) but that is it

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It depends. (Where have I heard that before?)

When it comes right down to it the functionality of a knife resides in its blade and handle shape, material, and heat treating. Those are the critical requirements. Choose a knife properly for its intended use and after that its all window dressing, assuming the fundamental requirements are met.

Custom makers can not compete with mass production in low cost per unit so they have to compete in the areas of design and materials: newer, better steels, special heat treating, and hand fitting of parts. Folders, by there very nature, require more parts to be well-fitted which is time consuming and error prone. There are fewer quality control issues with a one-piece knife.

Having said all that, it comes down to what do you want it for. If you are a collector then it is an object of art and the high cost may be worth it. If your life will depend on it it might be worth it, although the mid-priced knifes can be quite competitive in their functionality (design, durability, edge-holding, sharpness, etc.). At some point one reaches the point of diminishing returns. Only you can define where that point is, based on your needs. For me, it's hard to beat a good Spyderco or the like.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Economics 101: Value is relative.

The question isn't whether custom knives are worth the money, it's whether they're worth the money to you. The existence of the custom knife market as a whole is enough to indicate that it's worth the money to enough people to keep a market alive.
    welder516 and nedrgr21 like this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by Madcap_Magician View Post
    Economics 101: Value is relative.

The question isn't whether custom knives are worth the money, it's whether they're worth the money to you. The existence of the custom knife market as a whole is enough to indicate that it's worth the money to enough people to keep a market alive.
    True, but some people who don't know any better will pay a high price for a crappy product sometimes, because the high price tag makes them think it is a quality product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bad Bob likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Any thing that says "custom" is always over priced! Must be part of the allure.
    elmacgyver0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    They're worth the money if you HAVE the money. Many (most?) high end folders are as much art as they are tools. Art costs more money. As tools, I'd feel pretty goofy cutting carving sheet metal with a custom folder. Don't confuse your sports.
    This here !!!!!
    If you have the money have at it, but as far as pracvticality goes, there is nothing a 500 dollar custom folder can do that my 50 dollar folder of choice for the day ( i have numerous knives) cant.
    welder516 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    True, but some people who don't know any better will pay a high price for a crappy product sometimes, because the high price tag makes them think it is a quality product.
    He who won't open his will open his purse.

VIP Member
    I think these William Henry knives are beautiful works of art.

Executive and Personal Gifts | Luxury Gifts for Men | William Henry

No way in heck I'd open up a UPS box with them, though. Nevertheless, I'd love to have some just to admire.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links