Stun guns

This is a discussion on Stun guns within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently my company adopted a new policy which has eliminated our ability to carry a firearm on work grounds or job sites. Some of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Stun guns

Stun guns

Recently my company adopted a new policy which has eliminated our ability to carry a firearm on work grounds or job sites. Some of the areas I go to for work are just bad parts of town (pit bulls wandering the streets, bums on the corner, casings in the street, shot up vehicles etc) and I would prefer to have more than just my knife in me in these areas.

So, my questions:

Do stun guns follow the same laws and restrictions as guns?

School zone restrictions?

Does anyone edc a Stun gun?

Make model price rang?

Any info would be great

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Laws for AOWs (OC, CS, stun guns, batons, etc) all vary by state. You'll have to check state and local laws to be sure.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

For me, less than deadly weapons can be cc by anyone that has taken an approved course for safe use.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Can't stun a bullet.

Check your employee handbook or HR rules. Most companies that have rules against guns also include any weapons on premises. Most of them include automatic firing if caught. Then you have to decide if the job is more important than you having a weapon at work.
    farsidefan1 and WrongRecroom like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Some States do not allow 'stun guns', some allow 'stun guns', but limit OC by ounces or require training. Actually, the Heller Opinion has changed the legality of many of those laws, including knives. Check with your State's AG for his latest opinion &/or tested case(s).

It seems odd to care what a company thinks when your 'well-being' is in jeopardy.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

During a training program I attended, we discussed stun guns. As the officer leading our class pointed out, a stun gun is a contact item. That is to say you must be within arms reach of a perp in order to utilize a stun gun. How many of us really want to let an attacker get within arms reach. Our officer/instructor basically said a stun gun is really no better than the proverbial "sharp stick."

BTW, he wasn't too wild about pepper spray, either.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

It really doesn't matter what the federal, state, or local laws say. If the corporation or agency you work for has a rule that says no weapons on their premises, property, or assigned vehicles, you either comply with their rules or face instant termination if caught. You have to decide what is best for you and your family.

I worked for years as a consultant to a law enforcement agency. Only sworn officers could carry. The non-sworn employees had to work without any kind of weapons in a bad remote areas. The agency would not budge. My consulting contract did not prohibit me from carrying. The non-sworn employees always wanted to work and ride with me.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Another vote for checking that company handbook it would really suck to take the down step then get fired anyway because it's still a weapon.

Also remember that a "stun gun" is not a TASER. A civilian model TASER may or may not physiologically stop an assailant, the more powerful LEO issue ones sometimes don't. A cheapo stun gun definitely won't, as is more akin to a dog shock collar. If they stop, it's entirely psychological.

Also, the incapacitating effects on target stop the moment you release the trigger or the battery dies (about 30 sec.), and the BG is free to continue to do as he pleases.

And don't forget when it comes to incapacitating a living target with electricity, amps are what do the work, voltage is next to meaningless... and thus advertised all over the box. 1 million Volts, 10 million Volts, 90 million Volts; they all have about 1.2 Amps and are 'shocking', but not incapacitating, and certainly not harmful.

I'd stick with OC/pepper spray if you can't do the gun thing. But I'm slightly leery of any self-defense tool that can be circumvented by a mask and snorkel or the like, so maybe bring a knife too.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Ok your in AZ about anything goes but no nunchucks ( sry it is illagle ) .. But most of the time when a compaines saids no guns they mean no weapons at all so make darn sure you can .

Most stun guns are scary but wont do much you want the c2 or the police model they will drop most people or if you do get spray I would say get one that is OC/CN/UV that will stop most anything ( some people are resitend to spray but usally not CN)

Or get this Amazon.com: Kimber Pepperblaster 2 Grey, One Size Grey: Sports & Outdoors or this JPX Pepper Gun Home .. Both fired peper spray the kimber at 70mph the other at 300mph these will hurt like heck..

Or for close up get a blackjack or sap ( but not a 100% on legality of these ) one blow to the head will most likly cause a lot of problem with these but they are very close to leathal wepons so ... Also look at the tire thumper it is made to keep in you car to check the tires but let just say it will hurt like heck.

Also look at sap gloves ( look like gloves but with lead shot in them)

Again check you company .. And local laws I dont think in AZ it is illagle to carry in a school zone esp I would guess if you had a permit ( but I am not a lawyer )..

The new policy strictly says firearms are prohibited. Doesn't say anything about any other weapon (this has been disused quite frequently as the majority of our office carried.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ40 View Post
    The new policy strictly says firearms are prohibited. Doesn't say anything about any other weapon (this has been disused quite frequently as the majority of our office carried.
    So if only guns get a pepperblaster or the such a pocket holster for and a c2 taser I would not want to be hit by either one .. That is what I would do , I am not a fan of knives for SD unless you know what you are doing with the above two there is no blowback like mace and are effective . I am persoanl not a fan of ASP or knives for sd unless you have training in them ( now a blackjac/sap not so much one good blow to the chest/head ..)

Note that a Taser leaves paper with your info on it if you fired it so dont fire it unless you can say I had to.....

Also tasers are expensinve at like 300+ but that is the only stuning device I would carry personal..

I'd think twice about using a stun gun on a BG. I bought one early on in the form of a rechargeable flashlight thinking I could conceal it as a flashlight. It was very bright and boasted a 4.5Mil volt shock rating, and made a nasty sound when activated. I accidentally shocked the palm of my hand, and after saying ouch decided to keep it on my nightstand and use it as a flashlight.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    During a training program I attended, we discussed stun guns. As the officer leading our class pointed out, a stun gun is a contact item. That is to say you must be within arms reach of a perp in order to utilize a stun gun. How many of us really want to let an attacker get within arms reach. Our officer/instructor basically said a stun gun is really no better than the proverbial "sharp stick."

BTW, he wasn't too wild about pepper spray, either.
    Implying you'll have a choice in the matter. If you're in a parking lot for instance, and get trapped between two cars with thugs on either end of the cars, 1: you have possibly poor situational awareness, but 2. you also have little choice in distance at that point, and a gun may not be your best option unless you're well trained in both ECQC, and hand-to-hand combat, so you know how to stun an opponent and tie them up long enough to draw and fire a gun from body-indexed retention.
    Otherwise, OC or a stun gun may be a viable option.. especially if this is for someone who doesn't carry a firearm.

I'm lucky to work for a company who designs and makes firearms, so I could pretty much go to work with a GAU-2B/A on my hip, and the only comments I'd get would be, "I want to borrow that!"
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links