Moraknivs?

This is a discussion on Moraknivs? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard good things about them, especially as far as "bang for your buck" is concerned. Your thoughts? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Moraknivs?

Moraknivs?

I've heard good things about them, especially as far as "bang for your buck" is concerned.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    They are very well made general purpose/utility knives that use good steel and are made in Sweden. My only issue with them is the handles are somewhat thicker than what I prefer. Their prices have always been very reasonable but lately seem to be going up. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Administrator
    They have been around for ages and the Swedish Steel certainly has proved itself on multitudes of past situations.
    My personal opinion on them for a survival scenario (as an ONLY knife) they are very much on the small side.
    Coupled with an AX or a folding saw you would be likely good to go.

If your intention is to build a shelter or a place to "bed down" up off of the ground with just a MORA - you are going to be one pooped out survivalist.

Can it be done? Yes

Has it been done? Yes

But not without a great expenditure of energy in a scenario when energy might very likely be in extremely short supply.

That having been said as an accessory camp knife or a knife "on the belt" coupled with a high quality folding saw or hand AX...go for it.

As a "stand alone" survival knife - there are better less self-handicapping options available.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

This is a very nice little combo for a day in the woods though UNLESS things go radically wrong and get really ugly.

Badey likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    they are excellent for the money and one of the few mass produced knives that feature a Scandi grind
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I may pick one up after Christmas; for $12 on Amazon, its hard to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

It's very, VERY easy to spend considerably more and end up with...considerably less. They're kinda' like Toyota Pickup trucks, they're not a collector's item, but seldom come-up short as a tool.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Have used my Mora the last two deer seasons...Just Love It!

They are great knives for the price. Their scandi grind would make them one of the sharpest mass-produced knives that you have, and it also makes them work very well for wood processing / carving. While I prefer a 10" blade knife for survival purposes, I use a Mora for general camp chores.

really nice knives for the money and very popular in the hunting/backpacking/survival community, in fact if you are familiar with the show Dual Survival, Cody Lundin actually carries one around his neck
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Great value knife. I have two. Very sharp out of the box.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

VIP Member
    They are a great knife for the price, IMO.

I have a couple and they are incredibly sharp and do seem to to be well built.

I wouldn't want to ever be in a position where I was trusting my life to a knife, but I guess if I was in that spot, I'd feel pretty good with the Morakniv.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I keep one on my backpack. Great knives and if it breaks or I lose it I'm out nothing.

I carry a backpack daily to and from work. I wouldn't consider it a ghb but it does have some goodies on it.

Administrator
    Truthfully I never like the older (or rather original) style Mora knives with the round wood handles.
    The handle was a turn off to me. Great for an AWL but, not so wonderful for a knife. In my opinion.
    I think the new plastic handles are a great improvement ergonomically.

Here is a link to their available camping, bushcraft, adventure etc styles.

http://www.moraofsweden.se/products/adventure
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I picked up two of them recently, a carbon and a stainless, both in the Companion version. It was a post Christmas purchase and after our hunting season, which was my main reason for the purchase. I really like the sheath snapping on top a sheath when it comes down to skinning and cutting up a deer. Lose the edge on one and it's a easy swap to another sharp knife. At least in theory I think it will work. Very sharp when they showed up, and they feel robust enough to get the chore done.

I'll check back here with a report this Fall, if all goes well. Who knows how many I'll have by then.
    Badey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kraynky View Post
    Who knows how many I'll have by then.
    I agree. I bought one and liked it so much I bought another. Before too long I might have a few more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links