Defensive Carry banner

Christmas Knife

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  grouse 
#1 ·
My wife and I decided today to open our presents from each other and spend tomorrow letting the girls open all of theirs. Well, I was plenty surprised when I opened mine and found this:

It's the OKC RD Tanto. This thing is a beast!

*Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry if there are any errors.*

See less See more
#6 ·
Wifey Give Nice Knifey! :yup:

Congrats! Use it in good health. And no blade serrations. I like it!

You might want to take a little bit of Linseed Oil and rub it everywhere into those handles and then quickly wipe all of the excess back off.
And then let the knife alone for a few days. You do not have to remove the handles. You can do it while they are on the knife. :yup:
You can use either "Boiled" Linseed or "Raw" but, "Boiled" polymerizes much quicker.
You might have to do it twice with a few days in between.
That brings out the color in the handles and also seals the surface of the material which is a real plus if you're going to use the knife for outdoor SHTF food/game prep at any point in the future.

It helps keep blood, guts, and assorted gore and staining from becoming infused onto the surface.
Those handles are basically nonporous (AKA waterproof) but, the the exterior surface IS slightly porous.

Not something that you need to do right away but, sometime before you pack it out into the woods you should think about doing that.

Some folks suggest Mineral Oil but, I think Linseed Oil (which is a polymerizing drying oil) is superior in every way.

Reactions: msgt/ret
#10 ·
Very nice! Looks like it would be great addition to your BOB! Merry Christmas!

Reactions: 65108
#13 ·
Well, you'll only need about 20 drops total so buy the smallest size that you can find because it's one of those things that you'll have sitting around the house forever unless you decide to get into oil painting to discover a hidden talent!

Leonardo Di Pittypat. :hand5:

If you know somebody that paints in oils they can give you a small cap full which will be more than you'll end up needing. :yup:

Meanwhile that sheath actually looks pretty nice and serviceable. There are some really nice knives "out there" that come furnished with some truly crappy and worthless sheaths.

That one actually looks pretty good. Let us know how that one is working out for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.