SD flashlight. Legal in NYC?

This is a discussion on SD flashlight. Legal in NYC? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it legal to carry a self defense type flashlight in NYC? Are the scalloped bezels going to be a problem?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: SD flashlight. Legal in NYC?

SD flashlight. Legal in NYC?

Is it legal to carry a self defense type flashlight in NYC? Are the scalloped bezels going to be a problem?
    Gearhead likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I would like to know the answer to that too. If Bloomburg had anything to do with it................

You can have an SD Flashlight but your limited to two batteries, anything more than two batteries must be sent out of state or turned over PERSONALLY to Ray Kelly @ 1 Police Plaza... <sarcasm>
    flintlock62 and arnold63 like this.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

VIP Member
    Are you kidding?!

You have to worry about that too?!

Sorry, arnold63, but you folks have GOT to get things under control in that city/state.

I don't have an answer for you but I do sympathize. Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Yes it's legal.
    arnold63 likes this.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Bloomburg strikes again! Just don't get caught with a sugary drink over 16 oz. AND a three battery or more light.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    You can have an SD Flashlight but your limited to two batteries<sarcasm>

Left Brooklyn, NY in 1990 for a more common sense state of Texas. Wish they would stop drinking the kool aid and wake up. Hey New Yawkers, GROW A PAIR
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Distinguished Member
    Would a semi-auto pistol be considered an accessory to a SD light? Nah, didn't think so.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arnold63 View Post
    Is it legal to carry a self defense type flashlight in NYC? Are the scalloped bezels going to be a problem?
    A question I will never need to personally consider.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I think you can even own sap gloves in NYC legal yes but would I try it no.

What are we talking about here ? A surfire or the such should not be a problem I would look for the laws on dangrouse weapons in NYC . There laws on knifes/pepper spray etc are very tights . I would want to know the laws and what would be consider a dangrouse weapon.

If we are talking a stun gun flashlight then no not legal a normal one might be ok
    Jedediah likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Are you kidding?!

You have to worry about that too?!

Sorry, arnold63, but you folks have GOT to get things under control in that city/state.

I don't have an answer for you but I do sympathize. Good luck.
    Actually I live in Minnesota,which even for a liberal state the laws are pretty common sense. My GF is planning to go to NYC in June and I got her a SD flashlight for Xmas. Just want to be sure she isnt going to end up in the klink just for having it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    A question I will never need to personally consider.
    I live in the GUNSHINE State of Florida, but my only daughter and her brand new husband both live and work in Manhattan, NYC. So considering we go to visit as often as possible I'm constantly thinking about the same thing. My solution is usually multifaceted. I do carry a two-cell light with multiple modes all quickly controlled by the end-cap button. Low mode is about 15 lumens and is instantly replaced with the 800 lumen setting which can also instantly be segued into the 800 lumen STROBE. All the time, I can and will be moving, pivoting and striking with the un-scalloped front portion because if you strike hard enough, the scallop won't matter and indeed could make it look worse than it needs to be. I also favor keeping a WRITING instrument on me at all times United Cutlery Tactical Defense Pen UC2703B. United Cutlery Office Supplies. and of course it helps to have a rolled up magazine under your arm -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svfd29ZuEeg . The important thing to remember is that there really is no such thing as a "dangerous weapon." There are only dangerous people! Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHPuxQQqzjU
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Being an Old NYC Strap Hanger i 'd give my wife advice on riding the train. I told her to buy a multi can opener. It's hand held with a bottle cap opener, a pointed canned juice opener and a fold out cork screw in the handle. The pointed Juice can opener and the pointed cork screw are affective close in defense weapon especially when directed at an assailants Eyes, Throat or sometimes groin. If a cop asks they are tools you need for your lunch. the other household weapon of choice was having your set of keys in a clenched fist with just the keyed part sticking out from knuckles. this was also good when aimed at face to gouge with. Most REAL MEN COPS would over look FEMALES with mace or pepper spray. Brass knuckles highly illegal. and my favorite i carried a Black Jack on subways when younger. It wasn't until Bernie Goetz actually shot a few Hoods on a train, that people started to wake up that they really didn't have to live that way.

Bernhard Goetz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by arnold63 View Post
    Yes, as long as it is 32 ounces or less.
    farsidefan1 likes this.

Good Lord. NYC needs to be airlifted out of the U.S. and dropped into North Korea. Flashlight laws? Really? Jeez!!!
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links