New Knives - Spyderco Tenacious & Benchmade Mini Ascender

This is a discussion on New Knives - Spyderco Tenacious & Benchmade Mini Ascender within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got these yesterday. Spyderco Tenacious IMG_0045 (800x533).jpg Benchmade H&K Mini Ascender IMG_0043 (800x533).jpg Both have G-10 handles which i really like. This is the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Katoom
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 1 Post By Coconut

Thread: New Knives - Spyderco Tenacious & Benchmade Mini Ascender

New Knives - Spyderco Tenacious & Benchmade Mini Ascender

Just got these yesterday.

Spyderco Tenacious
    IMG_0045 (800x533).jpg

Benchmade H&K Mini Ascender
    IMG_0043 (800x533).jpg

Both have G-10 handles which i really like.

This is the second Spyderco I've bought. This is a lower end Spyderco. But, for the money, I think it's hard to beat. It's a bit big at just under 3 1/2" blade & almost 4 1/2" closed for EDC, for me. It has the 4 position clip. But, the clip placement doesn't allow for deeper carrier. Overall, a great knife.

This is the 1st Benchmade knife I've got. It too, is on their low end. It does not have the axis lock, which I would like to try. With a blade coming in at just under 3" and a closed length of just over 4" this knife is just about the right size for EDC and still be "useful". The Mini Ascender only has a 2 position clip. But, this clip allow for a deeper carrier making the knife almost disappear in your pocket. I had been looking at a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. But, I got both of these for less than the price of the Mini Grip. However, I'll put the Mini Grip on my short list of future knives.

I think it't the width of the Tenacious that makes it feel big in your pocket. If you don't carry anything else in your pocket it may not be an issue. But, I can still carry my phone in the pocket with the Mini Ascender.

Anyway, IMO two great knives for the price.
    Badey likes this.
    Gun control is not about the guns...It's about the control.

Current primary carry: M&P9C - Soon to be Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II

NRA Lifer

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I like the Tenacious. It is inexpensive but still does everything I want.

The size is a plus to me. This thing lets me get a good strong grip on it. Just a matter of personal preference.

It does ride high, no doubt about it. I generally carry IWB just above my back pocket so my shirt or jacket usually covers it. I don't like to clip it in a front pocket as I have too darned much other stuff in there.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katoom View Post
    Just got these yesterday.

Spyderco Tenacious
    IMG_0045 (800x533).jpg

Benchmade H&K Mini Ascender
    IMG_0043 (800x533).jpg

Both have G-10 handles which i really like.

This is the second Spyderco I've bought. This is a lower end Spyderco. But, for the money, I think it's hard to beat. It's a bit big at just under 3 1/2" blade & almost 4 1/2" closed for EDC, for me. It has the 4 position clip. But, the clip placement doesn't allow for deeper carrier. Overall, a great knife.

This is the 1st Benchmade knife I've got. It too, is on their low end. It does not have the axis lock, which I would like to try. With a blade coming in at just under 3" and a closed length of just over 4" this knife is just about the right size for EDC and still be "useful". The Mini Ascender only has a 2 position clip. But, this clip allow for a deeper carrier making the knife almost disappear in your pocket. I had been looking at a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. But, I got both of these for less than the price of the Mini Grip. However, I'll put the Mini Grip on my short list of future knives.

I think it't the width of the Tenacious that makes it feel big in your pocket. If you don't carry anything else in your pocket it may not be an issue. But, I can still carry my phone in the pocket with the Mini Ascender.

Anyway, IMO two great knives for the price.
    A friend of mine bought a Tenacious at work, and brought it over, trying to be funny.. he pulled it out and said it was my PM2, but the blade said "made in China" on it. The moment I held it in my hand I knew it wasn't a PM2. It was lighter and just felt... cheaper. It does hold a decent edge though, and it beats a $20 cheap-o folder, but yeah it is at the lower end of the catalog for Spyderco, so if that is the knife you (anyone) buy, don't base your opinion of Spyderco entirely based on that one knife. I have a paramilitary2, a delica4 titanium scale/damascus VG-10 blade, and a chaparral titanium scale, CTS-XHP blade and they are absolutely fantastic knives, all outstanding tools for EDC, depending on what you're wearing. (I keep the latter two for dressier events, with the fancy Ti scales and all)
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Nice knives and nice pictures.

You should post a review after you've used them a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Katoom likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Here's my first Spyderco, a Delica 4 (VG10 steel). This is what I carry backpacking (along w/a S&W 642).

IMG_0058 (800x533).jpg

IMG_0052 (800x533).jpg
    Gun control is not about the guns...It's about the control.

Current primary carry: M&P9C - Soon to be Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II

NRA Lifer

Nice... Congrats
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

They are both relatively inexpensive, but not cheap. They're not made of premium steel, but at least it's not mystery steel. For EDC they will work just fine.
    Katoom likes this.

The tenacious is the greatest value folding knife out there hands down! it was my first spydie and I have about 10 of them now but the tenacious always finds its way back into my pocket. great blade!
    023.jpg
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I should have also pointed out that while I said the tenacious felt a bit 'cheaper' or lighter than my PM2 I usually carry, it is a fine knife, and the steel used is pretty much a Chinese version of the 440C we all have come to know and love since the 1980s. It works just fine. I prefer the spine lock of the PM2 over the tenacious, but that's just my personal preference. If you want a terrific knife and don't want to spend $100+ on it, the Tenacious is a rock solid choice.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Links