Needs some defensive object ideas that I can travel with on an airplane

This is a discussion on Needs some defensive object ideas that I can travel with on an airplane within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I travel about 200 nights a year. Tonight I awoke at 3am to find a large man, estimated at 6 ft 190-210lbs in my Marriott ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Needs some defensive object ideas that I can travel with on an airplane

I travel about 200 nights a year. Tonight I awoke at 3am to find a large man, estimated at 6 ft 190-210lbs in my Marriott hotel room with a red light flashlight, I assume there to steal my stuff. Being a 5'6 female this is not an ideal situation. I yelled and chased him out of the room, thank goodness he ran because I'm not sure what would have happened if he did not flee. Nevertheless after the police reports I'm laying here in bed wide awake wondering what I could have with me at my bedside to help even the odds or tip them in my favor. Here is the problem...even though I have my CCW, I fly on an airplane 5-7 days a week. So I can't carry my weapon, I do not check a bag and my work rules prohibit carrying a weapon even if I am legal to do so. I can't carry a knife on the airplane nor can I carry pepper spray which I'm not a fan anyway. Any other ideas? I saw a video for a "Spikey" keychain type device, any info or thoughts on that? Tactical pen? Feeling a bit vurnerable and pissed off. GRRRRR!
    DrDP6 likes this.

I used to have my wife (Who rode NY City Subways) Taught her how to use a multi can opener (Those cheap handles ones that had one point tip for juice cans, the rounded tip for bottle caps and had a folding corkscrew in handle. However the TSA takes little old ladies knitting needles away from them, I would think they would see this as a potential weapon, they most NYC Subway riders had similar household objects that doubled as defensive weapons.
    DrDP6 likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

I've been visiting a friend in the hospital and they prohibit weapons. The sign prohibits guns and knives so I offload both before going in. I do carry a tactical pen. It's not much, but better than nothing. You can't slash with it, but it is pointed enough and heavy enough to use as a stabbing weapon. You are in a tough spot doing frequent air travel. Think of things that by themselves wouldn't be seen a threat by the airlines but could be combined later such as a cue ball and a sock. Good Luck.
    DrDP6 and Taurahe like this.

While it is not a replacement for a good gun, noise can be your friend from a defensive standpoint. Marine air horn cans (found in most sporting goods stores) can startle and disorient an attacker while calling down the thunder of passers-by. They even make small ones that fit well into a purse.

Trained in boxing or martial arts? If not, pass up the spiky key chain. If you don't know how to land a good hit, it is useless. And you- a 5'6" female- have to be within arm's reach of an opponent who is likely bigger and stronger to use it. Not an ideal situation.

Yes, I am sure someone will get on here and say that is no way to handle the drugged-out predatory criminal armed with an AK-47. Those are pretty few and far between. The overwhelming majority of criminals, like the one you encountered, will run when discovered. And if not, the noise may well bring you help from a third party.
    Last edited by JTChance; December 31st, 2013 at 10:25 AM.

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

You can carry a defensive cane (perfectly legal to board with a cane), just don't say, "I'm carrying this to use as a defensive weapons." If anyone asks you any questions, the magic words are, "are you discriminating against me?"

A large flashlight can also work and is perfectly legal to board with.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B31 View Post
    I travel about 200 nights a year. Tonight I awoke at 3am to find a large man, estimated at 6 ft 190-210lbs in my Marriott hotel room with a red light flashlight, I assume there to steal my stuff.
    How did he get in your room? I can sort of understand him having a master key or door swipe card. However, most hotel rooms have mounted on the inside, the u-shaped door lock device, for the guest to flip over for added door security. Granted it is not a cure-all but was one not installed or utilized. Did he simply bust through it and the noise woke you up?

Under your current travel conditions and employment requirements you are in a tight spot so far as "weapons" go, you are about at the point of a sockful of pennies.
    KoB, Old Sarge, DrDP6 and 2 others like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    You need to do more than just decide on a device, though I can recommend one: a camera monopod. They're light, strong, and fold up nicely and open easily to about a six foot long metal rod with some interesting features.

But .... more than anything you need to learn how to use it. You need to find some good personal defense classes that can teach you how to wield the thing effectively, and in that class you may also find some other suggestions on other defensive weapons.

I can drive this point home with a simple illustration: everyone knows how to use a baseball bat. Even if you've never been to a baseball game and never picked up a bat, you've seen one swung on television at least once enough to know how to swing a bat. Unfortunately the swing of a bat for it's intended purposes is the wrong way to use a bat for defensive purposes. You need to have someone teach you how to use the bat if you're going to use for defense, and the same is true for any other item you choose for a weapon.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Take along several empty Wal-mart plastic bags, the small ones are OK
    and put a couple of rolls of quarters, pennies, dimes, whatever in your
    purse, once off the planes take two or three plastic bags and drop the
    rolls of coins in the sacks, insert your hand thru the hand holes
    & swing them like a hammer, very effect in a fight.
    DrDP6 likes this.

Old style metal rat tail Comb.....with the point sharpened.
    lionround, dangerranger and DrDP6 like this.

Nothing to worry about when traveling TSA has you covered
    Old Sarge, DrDP6, B31 and 1 others like this.

Tactical pen and a flashlight is about all you can get away with sometimes.

If you decide to start checking a bag you can certainly carry in most states. Other than the serious anti states, most issue out of state permits or honor others.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
    "People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous." - Edmund Burke 10-08-1777
    DrDP6 and Taurahe like this.
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

ug

hotle room security

Having worked in a hotel environment for the last 13 years before I retired, I think I ought to point out I could get into about any room with an electronic lock in any hotel and not be detected. Steel keyed locks are somewhat more secure, but are vulnerable to lost keys, and they cannot be audited (that's why hotels love electronic locks - it leaves a record that can be audited for disputes with a guest).
    I repaired electronic locks, and know how to defeat them, and still, knowing all this, it happened to me. Someone accessed my hotel room overseas while I was in it, and hotel management could not believe it, either. And I offered to show them how easy it was to defeat any electronic lock.
    If you stay in a hotel room with an electronic lock (and electronic locks are just about universal), prop the door shut from the inside with one of those extendable gizmos they sell online. I will from now on.

Defense objects - tough subjet. If anything does happen, one of those spikey key things shows premeditation and intent to law enforcement once you're attacked and victimized. If law enforcement gets involved, you'll be charged with something for carrying that (if you survive the attack), rest assured.

I think the walmart bag and the camera monopod are about the best ideas. I've been kinda looking for the same thing.

But on a fial note, having also been a cop in the distant past, when dinosaurs ruled the earth, I am appalled to observe that you can no longer count on the police being on the side of the innocent. It appears that the ethos of protecting the weak from the strong got thrown out the window sometime after September 11th, 2001.

Y'all be safe out there.

Learn Kung Fu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DrDP6 likes this.

The door wedges seem to be the best advice here, but you might also consider a high intensity(lumen) LED flashlight. I don't think TSA has banned them yet. When you arrive at your destination, place it on your nightstand, close by the alarm clock. An intruder would at least be temporary blinded by such a device, since most intrusions would normally be in the middle of the night.
    DrDP6 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links