concealed carry of a knife in wisconsin questions

This is a discussion on concealed carry of a knife in wisconsin questions within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hi, anyone care to weigh in on this wisconsin law? (i've highlighted the areas of particular interest to me) 941.24 Possession of switchblade knife. 941.24(1) ...

Thread: concealed carry of a knife in wisconsin questions

hi,

anyone care to weigh in on this wisconsin law? (i've highlighted the areas of particular interest to me)

941.24 Possession of switchblade knife.

941.24(1)
    (1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

seems to me that opening by "thrust or movement" describes any folding knife!

the statute is specifically titled "switchblade" and I think we all know what a switchblade is but the wording is quite broad.

thanks

The following is not a substitute for, nor does it constitute, legal advice. I am not a lawyer....yet.

Short answer: You can bring your folder with very little potential for a problem problem.

Long Answer:
    Using OC = Open carry and CC = concealed carry
    Folding Knives: OC CC
    Fixed Knives: OC
    Dirks Daggers, and stilettos: OC
    Auto:
    Balisongs:

So, basically you can carry your folder, although be aware that as with almost everywhere, without authorization by the government concealed carry of a "dangerous weapon" is illegal. And some municipalities have their own restrictions on size that would effectively make any knife per se a dangerous weapon.
    For instance: Racine considers anything with a blade over 3 inches a dangerous weapon. ANYTHING AT ALL.

But of course, if you are traveling in Racine with a 4 inch folder clipped in your pocket and lets say you are stopped because you go through a stop sign, you are asked to step out, he finds your knife and arrests you for possession of a dangerous weapon. Chances are (unless you are a felon) you will have no problem beating the charge. You were just passing by, you had a knife that is legal according to state law, and you were acting unreasonable in no way. And most cops know this so they most likely will not charge you with anything unless you're really do some bad **** like have a kilo of cocaine in your trunk. In my experience most cops are good people, and even when they are having a bad day, that's why we have judges. And even when they are having a bad day, that's why we have appeals.
    Also, if the knife is legal for concealed carry in your own state that will help.

I am a police officer in Milwaukee. Here is how our city ordinance works. If you are carrying a knife with anything more than a 3" blade fixed or folded it is illegal period. Whether it is concealed or not. In WI automatic knives, swithblades, etc. Are illegal period.

Funny....how most decent knives are made with 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inch blades....insane

That's just the city ordinance here in Milwaukee. However, I have talked to some friends around the country in other large municipalities and they all have seem to be with a 1/2" of that law. I don't think the knife manufacters really looked at the laws before producing any of this stuff. As we don't have CCW in WI, I guess you're sorta stuck with under 3"...

Quote Originally Posted by tyley View Post
    seems to me that opening by "thrust or movement" describes any folding knife!
    Thats pretty much saying "no assisted opening knives."

There are plenty of folding pocket knives that require you to pull the blade open, and all the shaking in the world isn't going to open it up.

That sucks to hear that the legal limit in Milwaukee is only three inches. The law here is four inches, so that allows me to carry plenty of nice knives.

Either way, a three inch blade is still very useful, so at least it's better than nothing.
    Beretta 92FS

Of course, if we had CCW in WI it wouldn't really be an issue. I'm lucky that CCW doesn't apply to me, but all the same I would like my loved ones to be better armed than OC spray and knives under 3"!

Hey guys, Boston has a limit of 2.5 inches! Be happy with what you have. Hehe. Merry Christmas btw!

Doesn't Boston have some bizarre city ordinance outlawing all handguns in the city limits or some other such craziness?
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    I am a police officer in Milwaukee. Here is how our city ordinance works. If you are carrying a knife with anything more than a 3" blade fixed or folded it is illegal period. Whether it is concealed or not. In WI automatic knives, swithblades, etc. Are illegal period.
    Good to know - I'll be in your town Saturday morning after driving all of tomorrow night! Guess I need to leave my CRKT M16-14D at home.

I'm assuming you're in the military right? I was in the Naval Reserves, probably going back in after the new year. We generally tend to cut military guys a lot of slack, since a lot of coppers were/still are military. So I'm trying to say something here without saying it....use your best judgment. But if you do get into a jam, showing a military ID along with your driver's license never hurts.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Got out 2 years ago, but still have my reserve ID. Not knowing the laws (and knowing how to simply be smart), I always carried my knife with me when we've visited in the past and had no problems. Of course, 99.99% of the time you'll never be in a situation where it's a problem.

Actually one time I walked into the Smithsonian Institution here in D.C. and my balisong went through the medal detector (DOH!). Security guard told me to simply stash it in the bushes out and get it when I came back out. I've since used that same trick with my CRKT, as I forget I have it on me at times.

I'll weigh my options, and thanks for the insight!

Links