Legality of carrying karambit knives in Texas

Legality of carrying karambit knives in Texas

This is a discussion on Legality of carrying karambit knives in Texas within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question for my fellow Texans...It has been a few years since I carried a blade of any kind for self defense. I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Legality of carrying karambit knives in Texas

Question Legality of carrying karambit knives in Texas

I have a question for my fellow Texans...It has been a few years since I carried a blade of any kind for self defense. I've looked at several kinds of knives and have settled on the Karambit for its compact size, quick draw and overall use. Are they even legal to carry in State of Texas or do I need to look for another alternative to this type of knife.
    Thanks,
    Connor

Had to google to know one. Looks like you need to measure blade length, & go from there. I believe if less than 5", you should be good.

If it has a 5inch or less blade you are ok . I think some towbs have local ordinance that are more specific

Also it looks like auto knife are ok now but I think double edge blades ( ie daggers are a no go) are not

But from what I remmebr of Karmbient knifes the should be fine and a good choice they are very nasty what brand and fix or folding are you going with?

Accord to the gun and knife travel books you can carry open or concealed a knife if it is not a dirk/darger etc etc and at or under 5 1/2 inch .. But it looks like this the whole knife leght not just the blade ...

also no carry at racetracks and some other places

and it looks like Laradro/San Antion/ TExaharwa have there own local laws ,,

I am not a lawyer def ask someone who can tell you 100% yes or no esp for what could be consider a fighting/combat knife...

To me it sounds like a state where you got to know the laws and the local laws as all it would take is one mis informed cop finding that kind of knife...

My two cents as a non lawyer are make sure you know the law of the the citiys you may go to ( looking like some ban knifes in some places or have shorter lengths) also make sure the blade is not double edge or can be "thrown " and is not more then 5 1/2 inc total ..And oh yeah try to get state preemption passed for knifes ...

I am not knockign your chocie thouse are very nast blades . Some of my fav planning of geting a auto version very soon when the funds are there for the blade and training with it ( might stick with a fix blade one too as they are very good too) ..

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...xas-knife-laws
    http://knife-expert.com/tx.txt

I'm looking to get a Fox Knife Karambit set with the included trainer so I can learn how to use it without cutting myself to shreds with the actual knife. I watched the DVD portion posted to You Tube and I want to get a quality self defense knife that wont fail me and will be good for general use...

Quote Originally Posted by CBear44 View Post
    I'm looking to get a Fox Knife Karambit set with the included trainer so I can learn how to use it without cutting myself to shreds with the actual knife. I watched the DVD portion posted to You Tube and I want to get a quality self defense knife that wont fail me and will be good for general use...
    Is this going to be your only carry weapon ( no gun/taser etc)?

Then I would strongly suggest you train in the marital art this is is used this Silate I think. A few vides on youtube does not make one a knife master imop .. Not knocking it just saying if this is all you are going to carry then get formal training ...Maybe add krav maga to this or Sambo so you can learn unarmed defensive guns .

My fav self defensive knife is a push knife massive blade and no real training just punch with it but I think it is a double edge so no go

Looking at the knife I think it should be legal but not a lawyer OAL lenght is 8.6 which could be bad as the limte may be 5 toald but since the balde is small I think it should be ok but not a lawyer again

Also the fix blade version would be more relaiby and faster into action then assited blade just saying
    unbeliever likes this.

In case anyone got this far and are still wondering what a Karambit knife is; check out the link for lots of examples.

Karambits - The Most Karambit Knives On The Web

TheBigWanad likes this.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Is this going to be your only carry weapon ( no gun/taser etc)?

Then I would strongly suggest you train in the marital art this is is used this Silate I think. A few vides on youtube does not make one a knife master imop .. Not knocking it just saying if this is all you are going to carry then get formal training ...Maybe add krav maga to this or Sambo so you can learn unarmed defensive guns .

My fav self defensive knife is a push knife massive blade and no real training just punch with it but I think it is a double edge so no go

Looking at the knife I think it should be legal but not a lawyer OAL lenght is 8.6 which could be bad as the limte may be 5 toald but since the balde is small I think it should be ok but not a lawyer again

Also the fix blade version would be more relaiby and faster into action then assited blade just saying
    Sometime in the next year or two, I'm going to buy a 9mm handgun and learn how to properly shoot it and carry for concealed carry. However, as I have read across many forums, often times a knife is just a good deterant as a handgun is. Plus there might be times where getting to your handgun is not the quickest method of defending yourself and your attacker closes the distance faster then you can draw your firearm.. In addition, being able to deploy a good knife keeps the fact that you are carrying a handgun unknown more so to the people around you and all they think you are carrying is the karambit in your pocket...

I second the recommendation to obtain some training BEFORE you start carrying a karambit. The filipino martial arts such as Arnis, Kali, and Escrima are what you're looking for, or Silat if it's available. Yes, the karambit looks nasty, but it's not used the way that you'd think from looking at it, and no offense, but knife fighting is the toughest discipline you'll ever embrace, and it takes a long time to become competent. It can't be learned from a video, and it can't be practiced alone. You need a good martial arts environment, and there are plenty of schools in Texas. Good luck with your journey.
    WrongRecroom, Hopyard and Czombie like this.

Distinguished Member
    CBEAR44 I think your thought process is faulty. First do a little looking at pictures of knife fights. If you are involved in a knife fight you will get cut. Not a good way to start an exchange knowing you will get cut. Second using a knife is deadly force no different than pulling a gun.

The curved design precludes plunge cuts allowing you to get to a vital organ. It would work good on a femoral artery cut.

Rethink your thought process. Knives are not what most people think they are. Also remember what was so well pointed out here before. There are jobs and cultures that use a knife everyday. Be careful of a man who only has one weapon. he knows how to use it. You will never out perform a Phillapino fisherman in a knife fight. I would guess a Greek fisherman would be the same.

Good luck with your endeavor
    Bill
    WrongRecroom, tdave and Hopyard like this.

As I have read the laws being brand new to TX, the double edge would make it illegal. OAL doesn't matter, it's the length of the blade. All that said....I'd consult an actual lawyer.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

(6) “Illegal knife” means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being
    thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and
    poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.
    (7) “Knife” means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of
    inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with
    the instrument.
    If the blade is sharpened more than 1.5" on the second side it's an illegal knife
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I know a great deal about knife fighting.
    #1. You will prob never see the attacker's knife (they get in close before striking).
    #2. It is a poor defensive weapon as it takes a while for the effects to work.
    #3. A long thin fixed blade will kill immediately (my choice would be my M16 bayonet from 'Nam). Stab w huge force, then twist around to do fast damage.

I once got the dreaded 'upper crotch cut', 600+ stitches & nicked my femoral artery (just missed the jewels).

Got stabbed in the head once with a stiletto; went in at my eyebrow by nose & came out behind my right ear. (I couldn't get it out & had to sit in the ER waiting room looking like an idiot). That one could have been bad, but only lost a little bone at entry.

Once was 'ear-to-ear' throat cut; saw it in a MV side-view mirror & it looked like a giant set of ugly lips from 'chest-to-chin' (over 1 1/2 years of Maxio-Facial Surgery). Close call, but not as threatening as one might think.

Had left thumb cut in half longwise (tried to block that one), prob good I did.

One stiletto type blade through foot when trying to 'kick it out of attacker's hand'. (I weren't any Chuck Norris).

Many stabs punctures) where knife was removed at ER.

Many, many serious cuts, some with major blood loss & nearly bled-out with some.

One was a 3 inch blade stuck in my backbone during the Detroit riots in 1967 (dumb teenager at the wrong place & knew better).

About 3400 stitches in all, IIRC. Never even saw most of them coming.

I have NEVER seen a knife-fight like in Movies, where 2 guys square-off with each having a knife.... both would prob die & they know it.
    A knife is a stab & twist or slice & run action. Even if you cut someone's major artery, they are still going to have 2 full minutes to work on killing you... and probably will try.

I have never used a knife as a weapon (outside of military)...... I would probably cut myself.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    After all that patriot, I hope you are taking an easy retirement and enjoying life.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    I know a great deal about knife fighting.
    #1. You will prob never see the attacker's knife (they get in close before striking).
    #2. It is a poor defensive weapon as it takes a while for the effects to work.
    #3. A long thin fixed blade will kill immediately (my choice would be my M16 bayonet from 'Nam). Stab w huge force, then twist around to do fast damage.

I once got the dreaded 'upper crotch cut', 600+ stitches & nicked my femoral artery (just missed the jewels).

Got stabbed in the head once with a stiletto; went in at my eyebrow by nose & came out behind my right ear. (I couldn't get it out & had to sit in the ER waiting room looking like an idiot). That one could have been bad, but only lost a little bone at entry.

Once was 'ear-to-ear' throat cut; saw it in a MV side-view mirror & it looked like a giant set of ugly lips from 'chest-to-chin' (over 1 1/2 years of Maxio-Facial Surgery). Close call, but not as threatening as one might think.

Had left thumb cut in half longwise (tried to block that one), prob good I did.

One stiletto type blade through foot when trying to 'kick it out of attacker's hand'. (I weren't any Chuck Norris).

Many stabs punctures) where knife was removed at ER.

Many, many serious cuts, some with major blood loss & nearly bled-out with some.

One was a 3 inch blade stuck in my backbone during the Detroit riots in 1967 (dumb teenager at the wrong place & knew better).

About 3400 stitches in all, IIRC. Never even saw most of them coming.

I have NEVER seen a knife-fight like in Movies, where 2 guys square-off with each having a knife.... both would prob die & they know it.
    A knife is a stab & twist or slice & run action. Even if you cut someone's major artery, they are still going to have 2 full minutes to work on killing you... and probably will try.

I have never used a knife as a weapon (outside of military)...... I would probably cut myself.
    Holy crap do you have some crappy luck. You have a giant magnet inside of you that pulls knives toward you? Jeez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patroit, wow what a story, You must feel like a lightning rod in a thunder storm! Sounds like you need to get a CCW and use it wisely.
    Good luck.

.............................Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links