OC Spray - technical preferences

This is a discussion on OC Spray - technical preferences within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of us who carry Pepper , what brand do you prefer , and do you use a Stream - Fog - or Foam ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC Spray - technical preferences

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Post OC Spray - technical preferences

For those of us who carry Pepper , what brand do you prefer ,

and do you use a Stream - Fog - or Foam device?

I plan on getting some Fox Labs products in both foam and fog
    dispensers.

http://www.foxlabs.net/pepperspray.shtml
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

2. Remove Ads

I use DPS, and will never look back. It's simply the best, imo. There are a few theards about OC spray in the section right below this section. :)
    Beretta 92FS

My wife and I both have the Fox labs keychain units. We have not used them. They are easy to carry and conceal.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Fog: Bad idea for so many reasons. It will lash back quicker than any of them.

Foam: No experience.

Stream: Very precise. Takes the most training. Use "The Sign of the Cross" or zigzag pattern down the face. A splatter stream helps people who do not use this stuff on a regular basis.

Whichever you choose, be prepared for cross-contamination. In fact, I would go (and have gone) so far as to spray some into your kitchen sink and go about your daily tasks. This will give you some idea of what the results of cross-contamination will be. Or, if you're feeling gutsy and don't have asthma or bronchitis, hit yourself in the face with some. Spray some decon on your face after you feel the effects well.

You use this stuff, you will be cross-contaminated.

Oh, and DO NOT USE THE RESTROOM UNTIL YOU HAVE SHOWERED WELL.

Josh <><

Sabre Advanced CS/OC and ASP Key Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Or, if you're feeling gutsy and don't have asthma or bronchitis, hit yourself in the face with some.
    I think thats a smart thing to do. At the very least do the whole kitchen sink thing. I do recommend that you have somebody spray you, and help guide you to clean your face up. It will burn like a mother and you won't see much.

Just remember, even if you think you cleaned your face, when you go to take a shower you'll find out there was even more OC in your eye brows and your eyes will start burning again, lol.

Anybody willing to carry OC should really consider getting sprayed or generally getting a feel for the stuff. It's not pleasant, and I don't recommend that you do it too many times, but there is a reason police, prison guards, & security all get sprayed with the stuff. It's not a right of passage, it's so they know how it feels and can be prepared to work through the pain.
    Beretta 92FS

I have used a lot of OC spray.My most common phrase to new users was always"It is not a quality spray until the subject is blowing snot bubbles twice the size of his own head". There is no one correct answer other than getting a lot of spray on the attacker. One puff of wind and the fog/sprays float with it,streams splatter and bounce back onto anyone close. Ive had officers come to help while wrestling really irate subjects.I took all of it and it missed the bad guy completely. Ive pulled it and triggered only to watch the lint get wet at the tip and dribble on the ground. Having a face full myself and still being able to get cuffs on a non sprayed subjects should let you know its a tool, not a Spock stun hold. Use it ona few poeple(willing friends) and then discuss it and see if your opinions out loud give you some thoughts on it. Many cans of OC spray latter I still like the stuff and I would test it no matter what form it was in.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Sabre Red / Stream, Very Effective.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mace brand

I like the Mace brand sprays:
    http://www.macebrand.com/index.php?m...=index&cPath=1
    I carry the small 10% spray at work for dogs and such. Mostly I like the activator. Very easy to aim and fire with low risk of firing in your pocket or bag. The foam is nice and very effective, but they don't make it yet in a small size I could use at work. Lots of folks like the Fox, I've never used it, but it has the same kind of activator.

Just Bought Some...

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    I use DPS, and will never look back. It's simply the best, imo. There are a few theards about OC spray in the section right below this section. :)
    and is supposed to be about the strongest...haven't tried it yet though...
    Sprays up to 15' away...accurately...did try that...good for creating distance...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry one of these pens. It's funny I sprayed a little in the kitchen sink earlier tonight, just to see if it was still good, it's amazing how that stuff spreads through the air. I certainly don't want a face full of this stuff!

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-PEPPER-SPRAY-P...QQcmdZViewItem

Our dept uses Freeze +P by Aerko International. It is CS/OC. Very effective. I've only had two suspects out of many get a faceful and still keep fighting.

The OC portion is mainly for pain compliance, the CS portion is for physiological effects (coughing, shortness of breath, etc.) and between the combination of the two, it is highly effective. I am sure there are alot that are as effective, but this is my preference.
    Last edited by Only Glock; December 23rd, 2006 at 12:30 AM.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post

Anybody willing to carry OC should really consider getting sprayed or generally getting a feel for the stuff. It's not pleasant, and I don't recommend that you do it too many times, but there is a reason police, prison guards, & security all get sprayed with the stuff. It's not a right of passage, it's so they know how it feels and can be prepared to work through the pain.
    How right you are I have worked in corrections over twenty years and can say getting sprayed helped a great deal in letting me know what to expect. Have been exposed many times afterwards during use of forces. Some of these may have been a free shot at the OIC but you do reach a point where even though it burns it has little effect.

This is especially true of inmates who have taken the shield team a few dozen times. Many of whom will return to the street. Just remember it is a tool but not always an effective one.

they gave us oc many mango seasons ago to carry on "raids". one day in the hot miami heat we went into this house and a team member sprayed the "bg". well i must say the whole "raid" team got some also. from that day on, i don't carry it. come to think of it no of the team does. that stuff hurts. now come to think about it, they sprayed us point blank in the face one hot summer day on the range for training. said we had to spray you before you could carry it. i told them i did not needed to be shot before i could carry my gun.

I got a full spray in the face during my academy training. We use def-tec O.C. and that stuff is nasty. If you do decide to get sprayed have some tearless baby shampoo, a bucket of water and some aloe vera gel to help with the "bobbing for french fries" sensation aferwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links