What do you look for in a knife review?

This is a discussion on What do you look for in a knife review? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What information do you find beneficial in a knife review? It's carries well? Cuts stuff? Holds an edge? Cost? Specs (Duh)? (lock type, length(s) ) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What do you look for in a knife review?

JD [OP]
    Administrator

What information do you find beneficial in a knife review?

It's carries well?

Cuts stuff?

Holds an edge?

Cost?

Specs (Duh)? (lock type, length(s) )

Got a couple nice knives that I want to write about but kind of having a hard time thinking about what I want to cover other than the above....

Well, I mostly want to see you take your fancy, expensive knifes, and do things with them that I am not willing to do with mine. For instance, try to stab it through a car door, or cinder block, or something like that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    if a folder; how smooth is the action. when it was new, how long to loosen up. what type, if any, of washers/bushings/kryptonite bearings in the action.
    does the lock convince you it's locked; i've had a few folders with liner locks that always seemed like it was "half way in"-if that makes sense.
    if an auto knife, is it really springy; seems some autos really wanna leap out of your hand.

fixed blades; if i know it's quality sttel tempered and ground right, and its the shape/finish i want, it's all about; in no particular order;- ergnomics, the durability or even beauty of the handle's materials, and how well their bonded/pinned to the tang, and tang size.
    JD likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    A knife. I hate in a knife review when all they do is talk about cars, trains and airplanes.
    luvmy40 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Cost and specs are a must. Definitely need to know carry options, left, right, tip up, tip down. I also look for ergonomics. How easy is it to open, close, and use on daily basis? How does it fit and feel in hour hand? Will it hold up to the normal tasks most people need?

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    JD likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Well, I mostly want to see you take your fancy, expensive knifes, and do things with them that I am not willing to do with mine. For instance, try to stab it through a car door, or cinder block, or something like that.

There are knives I have that I would do that (car doors) with, others I would not... the main issue I would have is where to find a car door to puncture!

Lead Moderator
    Cost, materials , how well it is put together. Actual use and how sharp it stays.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I always want to know are they imports and exactly what country, some knives that are made in China by a company that will have them come from up to 5 different locations and these are not dependable knives. I will buy some knives from Japan and the ones from Seiki Japan are very good to excellent and you have a few from Italy that are excellent. I always try to stick with made in USA not assembled in the states and which steel because I use a 3 sided stone to sharpen all my blades.

My goal for a knife is for basic SD and daily utility, not for survival/outdoor situations. So, for me I most like to hear about these types of features: durability of the blade; edge holding; basic specs in terms of how it'll fit, carry, handle (size/shape on the body, in the hand); type of wizbang features that'll likely turn me "off" (ie, fancy new locking/springing mechanisms that are untried in the field, whatever).

If I were looking for a "survival" type knife, I'd want to know much more about the overall blade steel, how it was made, its practical durability in extreme-use situations, and so on.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Where it is made , type of steel , blade lock , clip , pictures of both sides , price point and comparrisions to other knifes same cost .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Sponsor
    Depends on the knife it's self. As someone else stated, I want to see/hear about the durability, edge retention and how easy/tough it is to sharpen a survival/utility/camp knife. I don't really care if a collectable hand made folder will stand up to batoning or chopping down a tree.

Details on the fit, finish and function are what I want to talk about in something like a Sebenza or Skirmish.

I like seeing/reading reviews on anything I haven't been able handle myself, regardless of the class/style of the knife. All info is good if you get enough from different sources to compile a real understanding of the item.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar
    One word or one name rather would be "Nutnfancy", thats what i look for in a knife review lol.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    There are knives I have that I would do that (car doors) with, others I would not... the main issue I would have is where to find a car door to puncture!
    The mall
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

- Specs (folded & open length, blade length, max thickness, blade thickness, weight, etc.)
    - Blade metal (if known)
    - Quality of manufacture (is the blade centered when folded, is the mechanism gritty, is there tool marks / burrs, etc.)
    - Sharpness, out of the box
    - Pictures from left, right, front, and back
    - Size comparison with other common knives, or a ruler

For me, it's about how easy is it to resharpen, and how well does it maintain it's edge.

Also, I don't go whole hog on the defensive knife thing. Most of mine, like the KaBar or Cold Steel types are outdoor survival tools. I like to hear how well they work doing battoning chores, and fieldcraft uses.
    kraynky likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links